Smach Zero Cancelled?

Fgtfv567

No media outlet has talked about the handheld steam machine since the steam machines launched. But I went to their official kickstarter to see how much it would cost, and I found that it's been cancelled Dec 16 or 17th as of Dec 20th of writing this now. Even a Google search couldn't find the former website.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-first-handheld-steam-machine

It sucks too, I thought that it'd have a lot of potential...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

dont think so?

1:04

EDIT: i think you are right, not cancelled just postponed for evaluation it seems:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smachteam/smach-z-the-first-handheld-steam-machine/posts/1445260

Did not get enough money. They probably cancelled and ran off with the money... 

CPU: i7 6700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2400mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr | Case: Corsair 300r windowed | Storage: 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Monitor: BenQ xl2420z | Cooler: Corsair h60 | Sound: Astro A40 | Mouse: Razer Taipan | OS: Win 8.1 | PCPartPicker Link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xV7tZL

Did not get enough money. They probably cancelled and ran off with the money... 

if it doesnt get pledged they dont get the money, do they?

aside from that, pretty much 90% of kickstarter in a nutshell there...

Hopefully they'll come back with a better plan of action. One major concern people were having is skepticism of performance, and rightfully so. They were under nda for the intended release hardware I believe, and the current in house prototype had under performing hardware too if I'm not mistaken.

I just want a damn x86 based handheld... :(

not how it works....

It's not that it didn't get funded, its that they cancelled it. It will say whether or not they get the money if it doesn't get funded.

CPU: i7 6700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2400mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr | Case: Corsair 300r windowed | Storage: 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Monitor: BenQ xl2420z | Cooler: Corsair h60 | Sound: Astro A40 | Mouse: Razer Taipan | OS: Win 8.1 | PCPartPicker Link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xV7tZL

It's not that it didn't get funded, its that they cancelled it. It will say whether or not they get the money if it doesn't get funded.

It didnt get funded, it got canceled before they hit the goal. so they never got any money

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

It didnt get funded, it got canceled before they hit the goal. so they never got any money

And even then kickstarter doesn't charge until the campaign period ends.

Why why would you think any Steam Machine could have potential after Valve released their piece of shit OS.

(Yeah I know it's a heavily modded of Linux and Linux is alright.)

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Try and save face and just stop saying things.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Why why would you think any Steam Machine could have potential after Valve released their piece of shit OS.

(Yeah I know it's a heavily modded of Linux and Linux is alright.)

Ok maybe I'm missing something, but I've never heard steamos being the bane of steam machines, aside from missing many key games as its linux (still growing at least).

Besides this isn't a desktop console hybrid like the rest, its a handheld. In the pc market it really doesnt have a competitor.

Ok maybe I'm missing something, but I've never heard steamos being the bane of steam machines, aside from missing many key games as its linux (still growing at least).

Besides this isn't a desktop console hybrid like the rest, its a handheld. In the pc market it really doesnt have a competitor.

I agree with Linus, Valve delivered a DOA product.

For mobile PC gaming Nvidia Sheild trumps this.

Here is what Linus had to say on Steam Machines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Hh4XlU2Qk

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

How exactly is the shield better? Assuming this was released. The shield being ARM is the only reason I don't care for one. To me its exactly where linux was a little while ago to many; no games. Meanwhile you could install windows on the smach z, and have the amount available games noticeably larger within reason (obviously no crysis unless you want steamy toast).

Oh BTW @Fgtfv567, the reason you might not be able to find their website is the name. Its just smach z now - http://smachz.com/ - its also available on the KS page in the bottom right area of the project header I guess, above see full bio and contact me.

Mobile, the nvidia shield's pretty great, but I think the Smach zero would have been much better. For the sake of comparison, I'm going to use the S portable, as the tablet really requires you to hold 2 different bits of hardware at a time, so I suppose it doesn't quite count as a handheld.

The shield's main selling point is streaming games from your PC or Geforce Now to the portable. Some people like me don't have upload speeds fast enough to play games outside of our home network. Finding a good wireless access point away from home can be difficult too, as I doubt a lot of people have good 5 Ghz routers and a lot of people will be using it at the same time. Pc and console-grade games (NOT THE ANDROID GAMES) that can be run locally on the shield right now aren't very high. Yes there are some good games, like half life and Borderlands the pre-sequel, but not nearly as many as on SteamOS. And that's where the Smach zero really shines. 

The only real advantage the shield has is that it runs Android and almost acts as a phone without 4G and phone capabilities. And it's 100 bucks cheaper

How exactly is the shield better? Assuming this was released. The shield being ARM is the only reason I don't care for one. To me its exactly where linux was a little while ago to many; no games. Meanwhile you could install windows on the smach z, and have the amount available games noticeably larger within reason (obviously no crysis unless you want steamy toast).

Oh BTW @Fgtfv567, the reason you might not be able to find their website is the name. Its just smach z now - http://smachz.com/ - its also available on the KS page in the bottom right area of the project header I guess, above see full bio and contact me.

Top half, see above

Bottom half, oh thank you, I've been wondering about it

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Mobile, the nvidia shield's pretty great, but I think the Smach zero would have been much better. For the sake of comparison, I'm going to use the S portable, as the tablet really requires you to hold 2 different bits of hardware at a time, so I suppose it doesn't quite count as a handheld.

The shield's main selling point is streaming games from your PC or Geforce Now to the portable. Some people like me don't have upload speeds fast enough to play games outside of our home network. Finding a good wireless access point away from home can be difficult too, as I doubt a lot of people have good 5 Ghz routers and a lot of people will be using it at the same time. Pc and console-grade games (NOT THE ANDROID GAMES) that can be run locally on the shield right now aren't very high. Yes there are some good games, like half life and Borderlands the pre-sequel, but not nearly as many as on SteamOS. And that's where the Smach zero really shines. 

The only real advantage the shield has is that it runs Android and almost acts as a phone without 4G and phone capabilities. And it's 100 bucks cheaper

Top half, see above

Bottom half, oh thank you, I've been wondering about it

How does any of that make the shield so much better? Small perks can be attributed to either side, but really I don't see anything that makes the shield the 'go to' choice in that.

maybe they're just doing the responsible thing and canceling

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

maybe they're just doing the responsible thing and canceling

The way it was turning out it wouldn't have gone through. No money gets taken unless its successfully funded, so its not really a responsible thing to cancel when its not making the goal anyway.

How does any of that make the shield so much better? Small perks can be attributed to either side, but really I don't see anything that makes the shield the 'go to' choice in that.

Shield runs Android which can install tons of apps like netflix, chrome, etc. The Smach Zero ships with SteamOS out of the box (unless you install Windows) and the only way to do stuff outside of games (and local music) is through the web browser or the desktop if you're really adventurous.

Shield runs Android which can install tons of apps like netflix, chrome, etc. The Smach Zero ships with SteamOS out of the box (unless you install Windows) and the only way to do stuff outside of games (and local music) is through the web browser or the desktop if you're really adventurous.

Thats a software-hardware incompatibility. It can get apps sure, but can't use x86 games and software.

Browser issues and general multitasking I can see as a true benefit of shield over the z though. That said I wouldn't consider either of those reasons for a shield 'trumping' the smach z. Better in some regards, but doesn't really make it the utmost better device.