Audio help with Focusrite 2i2 and Yahmaha HS5

I am a complete noob regarding studio monitor setups and all, but I really love listening to high quality music. So, I am getting Yahmaha HS5's and a Focusrite 2i2 Solo, and possibly a Blue Snowball microphone. I am aware the Snowball isn't studio level, I just want it for gaming. My question is, what cables do I need to connect the Snowball to the Focusrite, the HS5's to the Focusrite and finaly the Focusrite to my computer? Links would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! :)

You can't connect the Snowball to an audio interface. I wouldn't bother getting an interface at all; just hook up the speakers to your motherboard.

I am a complete noob regarding studio monitor setups and all, but I really love listening to high quality music. So, I am getting Yahmaha HS5's and a Focusrite 2i2 Solo, and possibly a Blue Snowball microphone. I am aware the Snowball isn't studio level, I just want it for gaming. My question is, what cables do I need to connect the Snowball to the Focusrite, the HS5's to the Focusrite and finaly the Focusrite to my computer? Links would be greatly appreciated. 

Audio consists of continuous, mechanical waves. There are two ways to transfer audio data through a cable.

1. Analog. The electricity's voltage varies continuously, emulating mechanical waves. 

2. Digital. The electricity's voltage varies between a predefined "high value" and a "low value," for 1 and 0. This is the form of audio data in which your files are stored. 

Speakers and microphones inherently process only analog data, directly converting voltage into mechanical waves. So to interface with them, we use Digital/Analog and Analog/Digital converters which convert between the two different forms of audio data. 

Analog data is transferred with 1/8", 1/4", XLR, RCA cables, etc., while digital data is transferred with USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt cables, etc. Since the Snowball is a USB microphone, it already has an A/D converter built-in, and it cannot interact with an audio interface. The Snowball plugs directly into your computer via USB. USB audio interfaces also plug into your computer via USB. 

If you look at a picture of the back of the Yamaha HS5, you can see there are two inputs: XLR and 1/4" TRS. You can connect the HS5 to your interface using either cable. However, I see that you said "Focusrite 2i2 Solo." That doesn't exist: there's the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. If you look at the back of the Solo, you can see that the Solo only has RCA connections. That's not convenient. It would be better if you had a 2i2, which has two 1/4" TRS outputs. 

However, I don't think anyone should buy the 2i2. I think the Steinberg UR22 and its successor, the UR22mkII, have the best AD/DA converters in audio interfaces under $300, and that you should get one of them over the 2i2. If you're strapped for cash, the Mackie Blackjack also has better converters than the Focusrite. 

Snowball is a USB mic, you need a real mic which is XLR. Like mentioned you need to either skip out on the interface and just use the snowball or you need to get a real mic to use with the 2i2 Solo. If you get the 2i2 you can hook the monitors up with a couple XLR cables or a couple TRS patch cables. If you stick with just the snowball and forgo the interface you can use a 3.5mm to dual XLR cable to come directly out of your motherboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CYX-403M-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068OEP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450637774&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+to+dual+xlr

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Professional-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B00V19AEVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450637929&sr=8-1&keywords=1%2F8%22+to+Dual+XLR

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMP-434-Female-8-Inch-Breakout/dp/B0010D0HO0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450637929&sr=8-2&keywords=1%2F8%22+to+Dual+XLR

Thanks for the suggestions guys! 

If you go with an audio interface, I would go with two of these cables for your HS5s: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4795

Otherwise, if you forgo the interface, DunePilot's suggestion is good.

Snowball is a USB mic, you need a real mic which is XLR. Like mentioned you need to either skip out on the interface and just use the snowball or you need to get a real mic to use with the 2i2 Solo. If you get the 2i2 you can hook the monitors up with a couple XLR cables or a couple TRS patch cables. If you stick with just the snowball and forgo the interface you can use a 3.5mm to dual XLR cable to come directly out of your motherboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CYX-403M-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068OEP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450637774&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+to+dual+xlr

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Professional-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B00V19AEVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450637929&sr=8-1&keywords=1%2F8%22+to+Dual+XLR

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMP-434-Female-8-Inch-Breakout/dp/B0010D0HO0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450637929&sr=8-2&keywords=1%2F8%22+to+Dual+XLR

Audio consists of continuous, mechanical waves. There are two ways to transfer audio data through a cable.

1. Analog. The electricity's voltage varies continuously, emulating mechanical waves. 

2. Digital. The electricity's voltage varies between a predefined "high value" and a "low value," for 1 and 0. This is the form of audio data in which your files are stored. 

Speakers and microphones inherently process only analog data, directly converting voltage into mechanical waves. So to interface with them, we use Digital/Analog and Analog/Digital converters which convert between the two different forms of audio data. 

Analog data is transferred with 1/8", 1/4", XLR, RCA cables, etc., while digital data is transferred with USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt cables, etc. Since the Snowball is a USB microphone, it already has an A/D converter built-in, and it cannot interact with an audio interface. The Snowball plugs directly into your computer via USB. USB audio interfaces also plug into your computer via USB. 

If you look at a picture of the back of the Yamaha HS5, you can see there are two inputs: XLR and 1/4" TRS. You can connect the HS5 to your interface using either cable. However, I see that you said "Focusrite 2i2 Solo." That doesn't exist: there's the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or the Focusrite Scarlett Solo. If you look at the back of the Solo, you can see that the Solo only has RCA connections. That's not convenient. It would be better if you had a 2i2, which has two 1/4" TRS outputs. 

However, I don't think anyone should buy the 2i2. I think the Steinberg UR22 and its successor, the UR22mkII, have the best AD/DA converters in audio interfaces under $300, and that you should get one of them over the 2i2. If you're strapped for cash, the Mackie Blackjack also has better converters than the Focusrite. 

You can't connect the Snowball to an audio interface. I wouldn't bother getting an interface at all; just hook up the speakers to your motherboard.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll probably get a nicer mic and the monoprice cables that Philosobyte suggested since the Focusrite already shipped  :D I appreciate the explanations! I looked around and finding stuff about this was a little hard. Also, any suggestions for an XLR mic? 

Also, any suggestions for an XLR mic? 

What's your budget?

AKG and Rode are really nice ones. Two of the most studio friendly mics sub $800 is the AKG C214, huge deal on it right now. Usually $400 but there is a price war going on at Amazon and you can pick one up for $300 this week, next week they will probably be back up to $350.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003SO5OZQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new Another good mic to pick up would be a Rode NT-2A, its another one of those extremely versatile studio mics. http://www.amazon.com/Rode-Anniversary-Condenser-Microphone-Package/dp/B004L06ZCM/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1450702987&sr=1-1&keywords=rode+nt-2

If you need something cheap then the Behringer B-1 actually has pretty impressive sound for a cheapo mic. A few options by Rode, AKG, MXL, Blue, here I have a narrowed down search so you can take a look yourself. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/condenser-microphones/large-diaphragm?N=100504+100505

As the people have said above you cant use an audio interface w/ a USB mic, also here's a couple of suggestions for microphones (will be better quality compared to the snowball)

Condenser: $100 $50

Dynamic: $100 $50 (I'm using the Q7 and I like the sound quality)

There's also loads other options that you may chose from depending on your needs :)

As the people have said above you cant use an audio interface w/ a USB mic, also here's a couple of suggestions for microphones (will be better quality compared to the snowball)

Condenser: $100 $50

Dynamic: $100 $50 (I'm using the Q7 and I like the sound quality)

There's also loads other options that you may chose from depending on your needs :)

Thanks, I think I might go for the Audio Technica. 

Thanks, I think I might go for the Audio Technica. 

Good choice, make sure to get a decent audio interface w/ phantom power so the quality wont be wasted :). Also make sure to have spare budget for the pop filter and possibly a stand and shock mount.