DSLR Manual Mode Issues

itsmee12533

Hello all so today I recieved my nikon d5200 with 18-55 kit lens. When I take pictures using the auto mode is fine but when I switch it on manual mode, the picture is completely black, I am using on manual mode- f4.5 aperture, 3200iso and 1/3200 shutter speed . These pictures are taken in a very dim environment.  Thanks so much for anybody that can help !

Hello all so today I recieved my nikon d5200 with 18-55 kit lens. When I take pictures using the auto mode is fine but when I switch it on manual mode, the picture is completely black, I am using on manual mode- f4.5 aperture, 3200iso and 1/3200 shutter speed . These pictures are taken in a very dim environment.  Thanks so much for anybody that can help !

Try dropping your shutter speed. Its because your shutter speed is so high that youre getting a black image. Theres not enough light hitting the sensor.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Shutter speed is way too high most likely, lower it.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

snip

Why 1/3200 shutter speed?  It sounds like you've read somewhere or been told that the shutter speed should be the inverse of your ISO...

On your camera, there should be a small scale that indicates your exposure level.  If you use M mode on your camera, you have to know how to adjust the ISO, Aperture and Shutter speeds to get that indicator icon to get to the "center" point which is what the camera considers the ideal exposure setting.

PerfectExposure-5.jpg

Why do you want to use Manual Mode anyway?  If you're trying to use that mode because you've been told "If you want to be like a Pro you will shoot only in Manual Mode" or some similar nonsense... go tell whoever said that to you that he/she is a fucking retard.

A true pro photographer will choose the mode he/she requires to get the shot that is needed.  It's good to know how manual mode works, and understanding the relationship of the Exposure Triangle, but to be a pro doesn't mean you have to use Manual Mode 100% of the time.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I kinda got to agree here with @ALwin and his post above me.

There is most of the time no actualy reason to shoot in manual mode as you know what part of the exposure triangle(ISO, shutter speed and aperture) you need to control.

If you don't know what mode to use I would suggest taking a few test shots in auto mode and then see where the system works differently compared to what you want, like switching to aperture control if the depth of field isn't right or shutter speed control if you aren't able to get the leng steady enough for longer shutter speeds.

Manual mode is only a valid option when kind of want to ignore that triangle, because you need low shutter speeds and a certain aperture for the DOF, or maybe you want to try something where the exposure level indicator would go way to the left/right. outside these situations I can't see a valid reason to use the manual mode, because it would end up the same as trying to use manual focus at a sports event, it could work out but the possibility of it going well is just to small.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Try using aperture priority first and learn how it works, it will show you a basic knowledge of what you should be using in manual, and go read some photography books