SSD do's and don'ts

SnipingBow

Can someone please help me?

I will be getting my first SSD computer soon and I wanted to know some basic stuff about it.

I read somewhere that you sould 

be careful to how much you read and write on your SSD???????????

but I am clueless. I really can't remember. Also something on defrag?

Does that mean you are limited to amount of times you can install something on your SSD?

Can some one clear up the confusion, link me a video, a guide?

Thx

its just like a hard drive, except instead of defragging it, there is this thing called TRIM which is enabled by default and does all the cleaning you need

just dont fill up the SSD past 90%

you can read and write to it as much as you want

reads are theoretically unlimited

writes are limited but a good quality SSD will last you decades even if you write a ton of stuff to it, so dont worry about how much you use the SSD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

SSD Pro-Tip #1 :

DO

NOT

DEFRAG

IT

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

its just like a hard drive, except instead of defragging it, there is this thing called TRIM which is enabled by default and does all the cleaning you need

just dont fill up the SSD past 90%

you can read and write to it as much as you want

reads are theoretically unlimited

writes are limited but a good quality SSD will last you decades even if you write a ton of stuff to it, so dont worry about how much you use the SSD

Oh alright I twas thinking it was it was way more limited (not decades)

Ugh, deffragging an SSD won't instantly kill it. While yes, it is absolutely pointless to do, and does count against the warranty cap, (Space, not time) it should have no effect on a decent quality SSD. 

http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

I don't think he's going to get anywhere near this number of writes. 

Overall, not as big a deal as people make it out to be. It is though completely unnecessary. 

(Each one counts as a write cycle as it basically shifts around the information of a drive closer to each other so that on a HDD the read speeds would be faster. It has no positive or truly negative effect on SSDs.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Ugh, deffragging an SSD won't instantly kill it. While yes, it is absolutely pointless to do, and does count against the warranty cap, (Space, not time) it should have no effect on a decent quality SSD. 

http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

I don't think he's going to get anywhere near this number of writes. 

Overall, not as big a deal as people make it out to be. It is though completely unnecessary. 

(Each one counts as a write cycle as it basically shifts around the information of a drive closer to each other so that on a HDD the read speeds would be faster. It has no positive or truly negative effect on SSDs.

Plus SSD firmware uses wear leveling to ensure consistent writes across the bits in a NAND chip so running a defrag is even more pointless as the firmware still actually store it where it wants.