Store "Technicians"

Larrivee013

Hi, since it is the back to school season and I hear a lot of my friends are buying laptops in stores like Bestbuy,Staples and futureshop. I was simply wondering if any of you knew what the so called technician actually- Larrdo when they "install windows" and "optimize" it?

Not that I would pay for that. Just wondering. 

Thanks for the info

- Larr

They stick lots of bloatware on that can't be removed easily without a format and re-install.

EDIT: samdb is fast ....

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

seeing as they don't make the laptop its probably just manufacturer bloatware.

I don't know what you guys are talking about... Thanks to them my computer boots as quick as my old IDE drive, so now I have enough time to take a shower like I used to be able to.. Damn new fangled things boot up so quick I can't even take my eye off the screen for a second! Thank you for the Optimization!

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Most retailers like Bestbuy will sell you stuff with a bunch of bloatware, this can be anything from trial software, stuff that you don't need or won't use. These programs are usually set to start up when windows does slowing down boot times

I don't know what they do in terms of "optimization" I assume that they optimize performance by doing things such as defrag on hard drives, or cleaning up the registry, cleaning up cache files, managing start up programs and services stuff like that.

If I were to get a laptop I would personally just reformat the storage drive and run a clean install of windows on a SSD boot drive and then load up the drivers and programs that I need and on it. Then I would keep all my data on a separate storage drive.

I always opt out of it, since I re-install my own retail version as a first step. And as already said, they use the discs to restore back to factory settings and create the recovery disc in the process, all of which you can do yourself (can create your own recovery/repair DVD after a clean install).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

There is some things that need to be installed onto ultrabooks that allow for the <7 second startup and to allow for use of the internal 24gb caching. I don' know if the manufacturers do this already. I bought my ultrabook as a display model so they reset it before I bought it and I had to re-install all that stuff before It would work.

I know they didn't offer this service to me.

As for the other laptops/desktops, no idea. As said before, might be bloatware.

PC Noise Hater Level = Linus

There is some things that need to be installed onto ultrabooks that allow for the <7 second startup and to allow for use of the internal 24gb caching. I don' know if the manufacturers do this already. I bought my ultrabook as a display model so they reset it before I bought it and I had to re-install all that stuff before It would work.

I know they didn't offer this service to me.

As for the other laptops/desktops, no idea. As said before, might be bloatware.

You can generally re-download some of the manufacturer programs through their site. Drivers, extra features for caching, etc, so even a clean install won't really be crippled in that sense.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It's most likely bloatware.

yea, they load a lot of crap on them. One A##h### at one of the mentioned stores told my friend's grandma to delete win32.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)

Hi, since it is the back to school season and I hear a lot of my friends are buying laptops in stores like Bestbuy,Staples and futureshop. I was simply wondering if any of you knew what the so called technician actually- Larrdo when they "install windows" and "optimize" it?

Not that I would pay for that. Just wondering. 

Thanks for the info

- Larr

As you know, as consumer seek for the lowest price possible out of a computer. advertisement, which we call bloatware, is installed on the system to help subsidize the system a bit. Big box retail store, offer an expensive service which promises that they'll remove the bloatware for you, and "help you get started", they also install an anti-virus, instead of using the trial version that comes with the laptop. They call it "Optimize".

Usually the replaces anti-virus is a paying Anti-virus that they put, like Norton, which they make a deal to get it for cheap, in the hope that next year, you buy it full price for a license renewal.

As for "help you get started", they simply ask you a user name and password, which they'll enter for you when you first start the system and get the Windows startup wizard. That is all.

While this sounds all nice and neat. A LOT of store (this is store specific), simply deletes shortcuts on the Start Menu/Screen and desktop of the junk, and not actually remove them. The reason for this, is that they except more laptop and desktops that they can handle... and they don't want to hire more near minimum wage workers, as it cost on their profits. For the best service, is to go on the big stores that don't work, where you'll be one of the few clients, and where you'll get the proper service.

Also, you'll notice in some big stores that they have some computers that are "pre-optimized"., Where they apply their service on the system, using a generic user name, like "Customer", no password account. And jack up the price. As the seal of never been open is broken, as they serviced it to optimize it, it's also a good way, to put back on the shelf, marked as new, returned systems (they just delete the account, and remake a new one). At least where I worked, one of my early summer jobs, years ago, they used to do this. Not sure if they got busted or not.

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/04/consumerist-investigation-best-buy-optimization-is-a-big-stupid-annoying-waste-of-money/

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/29/if-you-dont-want-an-optimized-computer-best-buy-wont-sell-you-any-computers/

http://consumerist.com/2012/05/21/geek-squad-wants-you-to-write-down-your-password-for-its-safekeeping/

http://consumerist.com/2010/02/14/michael-just-fired-this-eecb/

The only good deal, is Microsoft Signature, which is FREE, offered by default, already done with OEM approval, on all PCs sold in Microsoft Store online and offline. 

-> No junk on the system

-> Windows Security Essential installed (if it's Windows 7, as it's built-in in Win8)

-> Windows Live Essential (which everyone installs in any case)

-> 90day support

-> Skydrive

It's an arrangement that Microsoft does with OEM. So the recovery disks, won't have the junk either.

The only service that's really worth it for consumers (so those who don't know much about computers) IMO are the ones that offer to make a recovery USB since most computers these days don't include the media. Tech support from companies is also nice, but, again, only really useful to those that actually need it.

I agree. But it's sad that a study showed that most people, even when it used to come with a PC, people throw them away or lose them within 1 year of purchase. That is why OEMs don't include it.. also it helps cut cost down a but. Every penny counts.

But in any case, they buy their 200$ laptop, they hate it, it slow, it breaks, then get a MacBook Pro at 2000$, and say how Macs are so awesome. Chee I wonder why? Must be the OS icon_rolleyes.gif

The only service that's really worth it for consumers (so those who don't know much about computers) IMO are the ones that offer to make a recovery USB since most computers these days don't include the media. Tech support from companies is also nice, but, again, only really useful to those that actually need it.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-make-a-recovery-disc-in-windows.navId-323028.html

You can make your own recovery/repair discs. Another option - assuming reinstalling isn't one - is to remove all bloatware, delete all system restore points, and create your own - essentially a factory default without the bloatware. Then use your own recovery/repair disc to restore to that one restore point you created. 

The in-store setup is really not needed. 

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-make-a-recovery-disc-in-windows.navId-323028.html

You can make your own recovery/repair discs. Another option - assuming reinstalling isn't one - is to remove all bloatware, delete all system restore points, and create your own - essentially a factory default without the bloatware. Then use your own recovery/repair disc to restore to that one restore point you created. 

The in-store setup is really not needed. 

Again, for those who aren't tech savvy, it's not a bad option. I'm aware that you can make your own recovery discs, but most people who buy from big box stores, as much as this may surprise some people, aren't and can't figure it out. So yeah, for THOSE people, it's not a bad option. Not everyone is a computer guru, despite popular opinion.

You have to stop and realize that there's still a decent chunk of the population that can't figure out how to install Office :-\ just because we don't need these services doesn't mean they're completely unnecessary.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Sorry I am late on replying. I had a lot to do at school. I read through all your post and found some interesting info. Thanks a lot.!