Nintendo 2DS

snowComet

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/23871340

Nintendo and others face competition from the growing popularity of mobile gaming on smartphones and tablets.

The lack of 3D screen and lower specification may allow Nintendo to make a profit from the 2DS more easily than its other hardware.

Pricing has not been announced but UK retailers have begun listing the 2DS for £109.99.

Emulators

I want to legitimately play them. I want to buy KH3D because I want to support KH as it is my favorite franchise.

I also want to be able to carry it with me. I cannot do that with an emulator. Tis life. I have tried emulators. Being able to set it to 600% speed in Pokemon just... ruins the experience for me. I can beat Emerald in a day at that speed, if I try. 

There is just something special about having it on the real console. I have always felt that way. Even with a PS2 controller, playing PS1 games on an emulator just... does not feel right. At least not for me. I yearn for more.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I want to legitimately play them. I want to buy KH3D because I want to support KH as it is my favorite franchise.

I also want to be able to carry it with me. I cannot do that with an emulator. Tis life. I have tried emulators. Being able to set it to 600% speed in Pokemon just... ruins the experience for me. I can beat Emerald in a day at that speed, if I try. 

There is just something special about having it on the real console. I have always felt that way. Even with a PS2 controller, playing PS1 games on an emulator just... does not feel right. At least not for me. I yearn for more.

I only do old game emulators on my desktop. I have an n64, but it looks like crap on my 55 inch 1080p tv. With emulators you can use filters and such in order to make the graphics not look like vomit. that's why I use them occasionally.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I only do old game emulators on my desktop. I have an n64, but it looks like crap on my 55 inch 1080p tv. With emulators you can use filters and such in order to make the graphics not look like vomit. that's why I use them occasionally.

I can understand that. Wind Waker looks great in an emulator with the right settings (as does FF7 among other games). I just yearn for the legitimate things. I do not know why.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I can understand that. Wind Waker looks great in an emulator with the right settings (as does FF7 among other games). I just yearn for the legitimate things. I do not know why.

I spent several hours playing wind waker on my PC. LOVED IT, loved it on the Gamecube and loved it even more on PC. Sadly my save got corrupted somehow so all of that time was for nothing :(

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

yeah... according to Wikipedia

both Xbox 360 and PS3 have 78+ million units sold and Wii u only has 3,61... They don't stand a chance...

you want to know why i think that's a stupid comparison? Because its intended to compete with next gen consoles -_-

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I thought 3DS games were AES encrypted making them stupid difficult to use anywhere but on a 3DS.

Not sure...

Hail Sithis!

Emulators....................

you do know there are no emulators for the 3ds Right?

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Yea I don't think you'll find an emulator for the 3DS that doesn't give you a virus

Thought there would be some by now. It's been a while since I've looked it up. hmm interesting.

Hail Sithis!

That looks really uncomfortable to hold and a lot less convenient to transport than pretty much any other handheld console...

...btw they re probably not making this because there is a need to feed consoles to 7- years old.

The actual reason is more likely that nintendo is in a lawsuit over the 3ds 3d screen patents....

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Buying just to play the new animal crossing game. Didn't want to pay for the 3ds but this is cheap enough that it's worth it

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It looks horrible and looks like it wouldnt even be comfortable to hold and use.

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

It would have been an instant buy for me but it doesn't fold....so count me out

The price needs to be lowered on this if this is to be a "budget 3DS".  For just $10 more you can get an actual 3DS according to Future Shop's upcoming flyer.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I'll get one instead of a HD 9970.

Maybe not instead but additionally

144Hz goodness

There are no 3ds emulators and to the guy who said that at 600% speed her could finish emerald, I finished that game in one day on a GBA sp.

The only issue I have with the DS 2 is the fact that it does not fold, the lower price point and compatibility with all DS/3DS games is good.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

This is a great move.

It not only lowers the entry point for the great handheld, but also removes the 3D function which concerned a lot of people/parents and are advised not to use excessively due to eye strain.

As an owner of a 3DS, I can say it's by far the most enjoyable handheld I've ever used or had. The difference between regular DS games and 3Ds titles is astounding graphic and performance wise. Despite the naming scheme the 3DS is a full generation above the DS, when someone suggests just getting a DS XL or Lite, I truly believe they think the only difference is added 3D effects.

If I didn't have a 3DS already, I'd likely pick on up if only for 4 games, Zelda, Starfox, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

$40 less for being less mobile, less comfortable, and lacking some features? Basically, buying a 2DS instead of a 3DS means you can have one extra game. Unless you find a 3DS bundled with a game you want but not a 2DS bundle, in which case you actually wouldn't save any money at all.

I doubt this will succeed considering the casual gamers are moving to smartphones and tablets, if anything this shows Nintendo is desperate to try to grip on to the few customers it still has.

Why can it not fold, I wanted a 3DS without the 3D so I can still play the new games. But why can it not fold?