Changed 780 ti to 980 ti and now it wont boot

Niwaun

Hi as the title says I'm having issues with my new 980 ti.

After installing the card my computer wont boot... Not even the bios menu.

The 780 ti and the 980 ti should run the same power so I don't thinks it's my PSU. Although it's a Bronze 80+. It's a Silver Power SP-S750 750W.

I tried resetting CMOS and my BIOS is updated to the newest and still no luck.

I tried uninstalling all the old drivers from my 780 ti.

I tried installing my old 660 ti which did work.

I tried another PCIe port and still nothing.

I tried every thing I could find and are still out of luck

My setup is:
i7 3770
MSI Z77A-G45 MB
Kingston HyperX 4x4GB RAM (16GB)
Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Two old HDD's 
Old 780 ti/New 980 ti
Everything is in a custom loop and I even bought the EVGA Hydro Copper 980 ti so I didn't break it tongue.gif

~5got to snipe m8~

Your card's broken, duh.

i5 4590 @ Stock, XFX R9 290!, HyperX Beast 4x8GB  @1600, 850 EVO 120gb, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, , Asrock H97m Pro 4 , Fractal Design Define R4, Windows 10

Tried re-seating the card and making sure the power connectors are fully in  and NOT a 4+4 lead, but a 6+2/8.

If not then... You must've drawn the short straw. xD Sorry for your inconvenience. 

you sure you're plugging power into it?

is your monitor on?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Everything is connected properly, same cords as for the 780 ti. 

I haven't tried the RAM seating, but the PC works if I remove the 980 ti...

have you knocked the ram? if so try reseating it

Tried re-seating the card and making sure the power connectors are fully in  and NOT a 4+4 lead, but a 6+2/8.

If not then... You must've drawn the short straw. xD Sorry for your inconvenience. 

you sure you're plugging power into it?

is your monitor on?

Can you try plugging in something like a PCIE wifi card and testing the slot?

But also try (Doubt it will work but meh, worth the try) Removing then reinstalling the BIOS battery.

Can you try plugging in something like a PCIE wifi card and testing the slot?

But also try (Doubt it will work but meh, worth the try) Removing then reinstalling the BIOS battery.

I put an old 660 it in the slot and it worked so it's not the slot.

Tried it, but no luck

i bet you the SILVER Power SP-S750 is your issue here

that PSU cant power your 980Ti

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i bet you the SILVER Power SP-S750 is your issue here

that PSU cant power your 980Ti

I thought the 980ti required 600W Min? So I would have thought 750 would be ample? Or is that PSU just rubbish?

I thought the 980ti required 600W Min? So I would have thought 750 would be ample? Or is that PSU just rubbish?

that PSU is rubbish

fake Bronze rating

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

that PSU is rubbish

fake Bronze rating

Well that certainly could explain it. I guess one way to check would be for him to put his GPU back in without the power chords and see if it complains about them being missing, then we know it gets that far and is possibly a power issue.  

Well that certainly could explain it. I guess one way to check would be for him to put his GPU back in without the power chords and see if it complains about them being missing, then we know it gets that far and is possibly a power issue.  

This might be it, there is no difference to whether I have the power connected to the 980 ti or not

that PSU is rubbish

fake Bronze rating

Ahh yes, I was young and it was cheap

This might be it, there is no difference to whether I have the power connected to the 980 ti or not

Ahh yes, I was young and it was cheap

ok time for a new PSU

grab a new PSU from EVGA

ok time for a new PSU

grab a new PSU from EVGA

What about this one even tho it's from corsair:Corsair RM750, 750W PSU?

RM are good but overpriced

RM is the bare minimum but since you have a 980ti, you should get an AX or a G2.

RM are good but overpriced

Was about the same price as the EVGA

The only thing I thing is wierd is that the 780 ti I had draws the same amount of power and that card ran fine :/

RM is the bare minimum but since you have a 980ti, you should get an AX or a G2.

The AX is too pricy for me right now and the RM is in stock the G2 is not so I think I'm going with that

I have an EVGA 750W G2 and it's probably one of the best I'd recommend to someone that has extra money after a 980 ti as this PSU has black sleaved cables (I know a lot do but some come in multi-colour and I hate that) which are always nice for a sexy appeal.

I don't know about you guys but have you tried updating your motherboard BIOS? I've had a client with the same issue and all I did was update the  motherboard BIOS and the 980 Ti worked.

I don't know about you guys but have you tried updating your motherboard BIOS? I've had a client with the same issue and all I did was update the  motherboard BIOS and the 980 Ti worked.

While it could potentially work, I heavily advice op to acquire a tier 1 psu for powering a 980ti.

I don't know about you guys but have you tried updating your motherboard BIOS? I've had a client with the same issue and all I did was update the motherboard BIOS and the 980 Ti worked.

I already have the newest BIOS update :/

I already have the newest BIOS update :/

Have you tried changing the BIOS PCIe boot option? There's two options: Legacy and UEFI, try the opposite of what you have currently on, if not then I guess it's the PSU as what everyone suggests.