Purchase another 780 or wait for Pascal?

iaOreo

I have a 780 classified from EVGA and I need more raw power for 1080p, I am thinking about buying another 780 for around 200 bucks and having them in SLI. Good idea or nah?

Specs - I7 4790K and two GTX 770s. Soon to be upgrading!

Wait unless you are getting to low frames for your preference.

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

For 200$? not worth it IMO, I would look and see what Pascal/Artic Islands brings. Also, how are you having problems at 1080p with a 780? 

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

nah

wait for the next GPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I have a 780 classified from EVGA and I need more raw power for 1080p, I am thinking about buying another 780 for around 200 bucks and having them in SLI. Good idea or nah?

one more powerful gpu is always better then sli

Wait unless you are getting to low frames for your preference.

I am getting 50 avg in GTA V, unacceptable....

For 200$? not worth it IMO, I would look and see what Pascal/Artic Islands brings. Also, how are you having problems at 1080p with a 780? 

Yes, cannot play GTA V maxed out.

Yes, cannot play GTA V maxed out.

I'd just lower some of the less noticable settings to high or medium as needed, and get a 1070 or 1080 (or whatever they call it) as the gains will likely be large due to amd being competitive

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I'd just lower some of the less noticable settings to high or medium as needed, and get a 1070 or 1080 (or whatever they call it) as the gains will likely be large due to amd being competitive

Okay thanks, I like playing at High Settings, 4X MSAA, and Advanced off. But I will try tuning down settings and overclocking my card. 

Okay thanks, I like playing at High Settings, 4X MSAA, and Advanced off. But I will try tuning down settings and overclocking my card. 

Can you notice any difference between 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA in GTA V? I can't. Turning settings higher and AA lower makes the game look a lot better on my 970.

And yeah, don't buy another 780 this late with Pascal and the drop to 16 nm not too far off.

I am getting 50 avg in GTA V, unacceptable....

50 fps in GTA V unacceptable.... maybe you need to look at things in perspective buddy. 

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

50 fps in GTA V unacceptable.... maybe you need to look at things in perspective buddy.

50 avg is very unacceptable, my 7950 gets that at medium settings broski...I want performance, and performance I'll get.

More power for 1080p with your current monitor @ 60hz? May I ask, WTF for? Unless you're planning on upgrading to 1440p or 1080p @ 144hz,  you're wasting your money.

I think you should look into upgrading your monitor first.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

50 avg is very unacceptable, my 7950 gets that at medium settings broski...I want performance, and performance I'll get.

Oh I didn't know you had a 7950 :P  Upgrading to a 780 would be fine then if you find one cheap :D

More power for 1080p with your current monitor @ 60hz? May I ask, WTF for? Unless you're planning on upgrading to 1440p or 1080p @ 144hz, you're wasting your money.

I think you should look into upgrading your monitor first.

75hz monitor. 1080p Asus

How does GTA V respond to SLI? I'd find that out first.

Scales very well.

Oh I didn't know you had a 7950 :P Upgrading to a 780 would be fine then if you find one cheap :D

Yeah, my 780 is pretty beast, but I see one on here for a good price. :D

It mostly depends on your needs. If you need the power then go for it and sell the 780 when Pascal comes. But if you can manage without the sli, you can save your money and wait for pascal. I personally bought a 380 since I already need to play. I'll probably sell it for 20-30% less after Pascal comes.

75hz monitor. 1080p Asus

That honestly doesn't change much. As long as your 780 is oc'd it should be destroying games at your current resolution.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

That honestly doesn't change much. As long as your 780 is oc'd it should be destroying games at your current resolution.

It is...but not in GTA V lmao.

It mostly depends on your needs. If you need the power then go for it and sell the 780 when Pascal comes. But if you can manage without the sli, you can save your money and wait for pascal. I personally bought a 380 since I already need to play. I'll probably sell it for 20-30% less after Pascal comes.

Money isn't the issue here, but yeah I think I'll get another 780 then upgrade to pascal. :D or Greenland, I love AMD more than crap Nvidia :D