Does older hardware use less energy ?

Coaxialgamer
Go to solution Solved by KemoKa,

No, they were just easier to cool because of their massive surface area and because they didn't run very quickly at all. A Raspberry Pi these days is far more powerful than processors 20 years ago whilst sipping power through a syringe.

The only exception I can think of is the Intel 80186 (the one in the HP x00LX palmtop computers) - those things run for 40 hours on two AA batteries. 40 hours on 6Watt-hours of energy... that's a power consumption rate of about 0.15 watts. Relative to the desktop computers they had back then versus the desktops we have now, we don't have anything like the 200LX. Not even with ARM processors.

In terms of overall power consumption, sure, they didn't consume as much power, but power-to-performance-wise, they can't hold a candle to what we have now.

It uses more power for the same amount of performance

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Depends on how old the hardware is, 200 series nvidia cards use quite a lot more power than 900 series cards, or compare the first gen i7 CPUs with current gen i7.

Efficiency has gone up, which means we can do more with the same amount of power, even if sometimes looks like newer hardware uses more power.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.