buy gpu or wait [end 2015]

rednas16

Heya

well, i'm looking for a new gpu since last summer, i saw the 980ti, 390x, and fuji-gpu's getting released but i still don't know.

i prefer red above green atm cause of hbm and freesync but beside that, the fact the 390(x) is a rebrand i don't wanna buy it.

when i buy things price/performance is important for me. beside that i want them to be fresh and new but i wait for the versions without baby mistakes.

so now i'm considering the fury (x) and nano

perf/cost:

the non x wins is internet telling me

but therefor its better to buy a 980ti and if im paying for a 980ti im willing to pay for a fury x. the nona is overpriced and im not willing to pay another 100€ above the fury x.

so now i look at my second requirement thinking about the fury x

is 4g hbm enough for future gaming.. i think yes, dx12 convinces me for taking the risk but there is a lot discussion about this topic

more important: is the fury x fast enough for future gaming .. well maybe not but its not like 4k at 144hz will be invented in the next 3 years i think.

then the last thing: the fuji-gen gpu .. is it a good idea to buy it or shall i wait till newer versions?

like sandy bridge was an epic good new release for intel and the i5-2500(k) the perfect sweet spot cpu for price/perf aka "futureproofness" was compared to shitty ivy and hasswell, im looking if this is the same for the fury x and fuji gen gpu in gpu land.

i know the fury x2 with dual gpu thingies is coming but this is just overkill imo. + 1000-1500 im not gonna pay for just a gpu.

what are your thoughts? buy now or wait for the fuji-gen2 (gen 2, not rebrand or boosted furyx)

atm i only play CSGO with a i5-2500 and a hd7770

okay. AMD is going to do a paper release of the fury x2.....It doesn't exist in comercial real estate, but we're going to pretend that there's a twin gpu fury card floating around somewhere just for arguments sake because amd says so.

In comparable real estate the 980 ti actually exists, or if you really need multiple 4k screens the the titan x is still the elephant in the room.

The 980 is still a beast of a card, and a very short step down is the 290x (especially the 8GB versions) I'm not going to mention various rebrands...if you can find them cheaper than the original then buy them.

-snip-

Lol. If you're only playing CS:GO you don't need an expenisve card like the Fury X or GtX 980ti. CS:GO is CPU intensive. You should get an better CPU like the Intel Core i5 4690K/i7 4790K. You can also get an R9 380(X)/390 which will give you more than enough FPS in CS:GO if it's that what you're looking for.

The 980 is still a beast of a card, and a very short step down is the 290x (especially the 8GB versions) I'm not going to mention various rebrands...if you can find them cheaper than the original then buy them.

sorry for maybe wrong exceptions i took. you're right about what sha saying, but because the 290 gpu is already 4 years old and 390 the same gpu architecture is i'm not willing to pay for it as being new while it's a 4 y/o core. because i expect the gpu to play medium setting games in 4 years and low settings games in 5 years for now when i now pay 500 600 €

sorry for maybe wrong exceptions i took. you're right about what sha saying, but because the 290 gpu is already 4 years old and 390 the same gpu architecture is i'm not willing to pay for it as being new while it's a 4 y/o core. because i expect the gpu to play medium setting games in 4 years and low settings games in 5 years for now when i now pay 500 600 €

basically my point. I refuse to write the 290x off however. It is still my price to performance standout, especially since the rebrand has driven the price down. I think the 8gb version will still be able to play high/ultra for a year or two.

Any reasonably high end card today, their architecture aside, will still be playing games at medium-low settings in 4-5 years. That's a pretty easy requirement to meet. Even an HD 7970, a 4 year old card based on an even older architecture, can still play AAA games at medium-low.

Lol. If you're only playing CS:GO you don't need an expenisve card like the Fury X or GtX 980ti. CS:GO is CPU intensive. You should get an better CPU like the Intel Core i5 4690K/i7 4790K. You can also get an R9 380(X)/390 which will give you more than enough FPS in CS:GO if it's that what you're looking for.

i know cs go is a cpu game, but for some reasons im now stuck on 1155 socket. now i wanted to invest in a new screen and gpu.

i'm not willing to pay for the 390 because it's a 4 y/o core (290 rebrand). i want to go for overkill because i wanna threat myself by going for high end gear. this also because i expect the gpu to play medium setting games in 4 years and low settings games in 5 years for now when i now pay 500 600 €. i don't play recent games because they are shitty anyway with my hd7770 and when this is fixed this will change

Any reasonably high end card today, their architecture aside, will still be playing games at medium-low settings in 4-5 years. That's a pretty easy requirement to meet. Even an HD 7970, a 4 year old card based on an even older architecture, can still play AAA games at medium-low.

also when 4k or 8k is a thing ? will it not ask way to much horse power from that 5 y/o fuji gpu ?

also when 4k or 8k is a thing ? will it not ask way to much horse power from that 5 y/o fuji gpu ?

not really. GPU architecture is ahead of the curve atm. The limiting factor in high res textures seems to me shear ram allocation. The HBM on the fury cards does seem to alleviate this to some degree but the tech isn't mature enough yet.

not really. GPU architecture is ahead of the curve atm. The limiting factor in high res textures seems to me shear ram allocation. The HBM on the fury cards does seem to alleviate this to some degree but the tech isn't mature enough yet.

aah ok nice, thx for the concreet confirmation, it relieves me a lot xD

one last thingie: like i said, how does it compares in the generation family ?

like in cod: cod4 was good, 5 and 6 less, blackops again awesome, blackops 2 again less and so on and so on 

is the fuji gen another up generation or is performance increment compare to the 290 gen not that much, or has it still baby mistakes or ... ?

The 390 uses a slightly different architecture that optimised power usage and such. That's the reason why people are recommending them over 970. Also, the Fiji architecture is very new and will be able to play games for 5 or more years at very high settings. Same goes for the Grenada core in the 390.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

aah ok nice, thx for the concreet confirmation, it relieves me a lot xD

one last thingie: like i said, how does it compares in the generation family ?

like in cod: cod4 was good, 5 and 6 less, blackops again awesome, blackops 2 again less and so on and so on 

is the fuji gen another up generation or is performance increment compare to the 290 gen not that much, or has it still baby mistakes or ... ?

okay the fury...was thinking outside the box, and I think the fury x2 will continue that especially with the change with directx12 letting gpu ram stack to some degree.

tahiti (290x?) sorry I gave up keeping track of amd cards  when i switched. was a very good card, but i feel it's at the end of it's life, and wouldn't have been refreshed if amd had something budget oriented in the pipeline. the higher memory chips will keep it up to date for awhile but it will start getting spanked at the lower resolutions first, and as the draw calls increase with the new software eventually at the high end.

Nividea has the lead at the moment as amd has to spread it's resources across two fields, and it's loosing market share in both. this results in less money to spend on R+D.

sorry for maybe wrong exceptions i took. you're right about what sha saying, but because the 290 gpu is already 4 years old and 390 the same gpu architecture is i'm not willing to pay for it as being new while it's a 4 y/o core. because i expect the gpu to play medium setting

games in 4 years and low settings games in 5 years for now when i now pay 500 600 €

Where are you getting the idea the 290 came out 4 years ago?

It came out at the same time as 780/780ti, so late 2013!

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

at 1080p I feel that the 290x stacks up well against the 970. As resolution increases you have to increase the nividea gpu a grade however. the 980 is comparable to the 290x at 1440p and 4k, for a higher price tag in most cases.

Just my opinion.

4k is possible with anythimg more powerful than dual 970's, however, forget about 8k, its 4 times the pixels of 4k, and even 4 titan x's struggle to keep a playable framerate in current games

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

i know cs go is a cpu game, but for some reasons im now stuck on 1155 socket. now i wanted to invest in a new screen and gpu.

i'm not willing to pay for the 390 because it's a 4 y/o core (290 rebrand). i want to go for overkill because i wanna threat myself by going for high end gear. this also because i expect the gpu to play medium setting games in 4 years and low settings games in 5 years for now when i now pay 500 600 €. i don't play recent games because they are shitty anyway with my hd7770 and when this is fixed this will change

The 390 architecture is more like the haswell refresh to haswell. While not entirely new, it's not the same old same old.

okay the fury...was thinking outside the box, and I think the fury x2 will continue that especially with the change with directx12 letting gpu ram stack to some degree.

tahiti (290x?) sorry I gave up keeping track of amd cards  when i switched. was a very good card, but i feel it's at the end of it's life, and wouldn't have been refreshed if amd had something budget oriented in the pipeline. the higher memory chips will keep it up to date for awhile but it will start getting spanked at the lower resolutions first, and as the draw calls increase with the new software eventually at the high end.

Nividea has the lead at the moment as amd has to spread it's resources across two fields, and it's loosing market share in both. this results in less money to spend on R+D.

y you're right, is also my opinion, the 390 wasn't needed. i just read an article which was saying amd should get credits for the effort they do for push to the limit of 28nm architectures.

maybe i should keep waiting for the 14nm release late Q1 2016 

i really want/need a new gpu but i also don't feel like buying these, they will do the job fine, but for 600 euro i should make me happy instead of concerns about how long will it last xD

Didn't we already establish that we're talking about running games at "low/medium settings"? 4k/8k will not be considered low-medium in 5 years even..