Newly Built PC Turning on By Itself

bak_yn

Hello all, I've tried to figure this out on my own. I've disabled wake on lan and it seams that didn't solve the problem. After I Shut the computer completely down, it turns on. I can't tell if it's because of auto updates or what. Can anyone help?

Hello all, I've tried to figure this out on my own. I've disabled wake on lan and it seams that didn't solve the problem. After I Shut the computer completely down, it turns on. I can't tell if it's because of auto updates or what. Can anyone help?

Turns on straight away after powering off?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Turns on straight away after powering off?

Yes after powering off and after maybe 5 minutes it turns on.

hi, maybe the start button is faulty

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Reset the CMOS. Is your mobo used?

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Reset the CMOS. Is your mobo used?

its a brand new mobo Asrock fatality h97 killer.

Go to BIOS and restore the defaults. Could be linked to this. Also unplug your Ethernet cable to completely rule out WoL.

I haven't changed any setting in the bios. I unplugged Ethernet and will see if the problem persists.

Unplugged Ethernet and it still turned on after about 5 minutes of being shutdown

Check your reset button and your power button and make sure those are correctly put into the mobo. IF they are than you may have to unplug one and test to see which one is causing it.

but when I restart it restarts like normal with the on screen button and manual button. When I power off though after 5 minutes it turns on.

What GPU do you have?

Let me guess: Gigabyte R9 390/390X

msi R9 390X

msi R9 390X

Damn, so close.

There is an issue with Gigabyte cards (AMD chips) that cause the system to power back on as soon as you turn it off. It is present in their 390 and 390X Windforce 2X cards. I'm not sure if MSI cards can do the same, but I would consider that as a source of problems. If you are comfortable enough risking turning your 390X into a brick, I would try flashing the card to the latest BIOS (you most likely won't brick it unless you have absolutely no idea what you're doing).

Damn, so close.

There is an issue with Gigabyte cards (AMD chips) that cause the system to power back on as soon as you turn it off. It is present in their 390 and 390X Windforce 2X cards. I'm not sure if MSI cards can do the same, but I would consider that as a source of problems. If you are comfortable enough risking turning your 390X into a brick, I would try flashing the card to the latest BIOS (you most likely won't brick it unless you have absolutely no idea what you're doing).

I've never flashed any cards but I've seen the option in bios. Is it pretty straight forward?

I've never flashed any cards but I've seen the option in bios. Is it pretty straight forward?

That's to flash the motherboard BIOS. It's a very different process on GPUs. I can give you a guide, and it is a pretty simple process.

Download GPU-Z, install it.

In GPU-Z, there is a little button with an arrow next to the BIOS Version number, click that and save the stock BIOS somewhere as a backup.

Download your corresponding BIOS from here (based on what stock clocks your card came with): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?did=1002-67B0-1462-2015

Download ATIFlash:https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2306/atiflash-4-17/mirrors

Follow this guide to turn a USB drive into an MS-DOS bootup disk: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html

Once that is done, put the ATIFlash files onto the drive, and rename the ATIFlash program to "atiflash" (without quotes)

Take the BIOS ROM file that you DOWNLOADED (not the one you backed up) and put it onto the flash drive as well. Rename it "0_NEW" (again without quotes)

Boot up your PC, and boot into the flash drive (I assume you know how to change boot up drive priority)

Now, you should see a Windows 98 command prompt. Do the following:

1) TYPE the following into the CMD: "ATIFLASH.EXE -f -p 0 0_NEW.ROM" (gpu slot 0).

2) The first number in the command is the PCIE SLOT number of your first card. So if you have a card in your top PCIE SLOT the number will be 0. If you have a motherboard with 4 PCIE slots the numbers will be 0-3. So just make sure to know what slot your card(s) are in while flashing.

3) You can do this for other cards attached (Crossfire) also as follows:

ATIFLASH.EXE -f -p 1 1_NEW.ROM (gpu slot 1)

ATIFLASH.EXE -f -p 2 2_NEW.ROM (gpu slot 2)

And so on...

4) Wait for the confirmation message which will display various details about your card.

5) ATIFlash will tell you to reboot. Go ahead and flash any other cards using the correct name for their files. (Ex. 1_NEW.ROM)

6) After rebooting back into Windows your screen may flash a few times, do not worry, this is normal. The card is just completing it's BIOS update.

7) After the screen is done flashing be sure to check CCC and make sure that none of your settings have reset as for some reason CCC likes to do that after you flash the BIOS.

8) You are done!

That's to flash the motherboard BIOS. It's a very different process on GPUs. I can give you a guide, and it is a pretty simple process.

Download GPU-Z, install it.

In GPU-Z, there is a little button with an arrow next to the BIOS Version number, click that and save the stock BIOS somewhere as a backup.

Download your corresponding BIOS from here (based on what stock clocks your card came with): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?did=1002-67B0-1462-2015

Download ATIFlash:https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2306/atiflash-4-17/mirrors

Follow this guide to turn a USB drive into an MS-DOS bootup disk: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html

Once that is done, put the ATIFlash files onto the drive, and rename the ATIFlash program to "atiflash" (without quotes)

Take the BIOS ROM file that you DOWNLOADED (not the one you backed up) and put it onto the flash drive as well. Rename it "0_NEW" (again without quotes)

Boot up your PC, and boot into the flash drive (I assume you know how to change boot up drive priority)

Now, you should see a Windows 98 command prompt. Do the following:

1) TYPE the following into the CMD: "ATIFLASH.EXE -f -p 0 0_NEW.ROM" (gpu slot 0).

2) The first number in the command is the PCIE SLOT number of your first card. So if you have a card in your top PCIE SLOT the number will be 0. If you have a motherboard with 4 PCIE slots the numbers will be 0-3. So just make sure to know what slot your card(s) are in while flashing.

3) You can do this for other cards attached (Crossfire) also as follows:

ATIFLASH.EXE -f -p 1 1_NEW.ROM (gpu slot 1)

ATIFLASH.EXE -f -p 2 2_NEW.ROM (gpu slot 2)

And so on...

4) Wait for the confirmation message which will display various details about your card.

5) ATIFlash will tell you to reboot. Go ahead and flash any other cards using the correct name for their files. (Ex. 1_NEW.ROM)

6) After rebooting back into Windows your screen may flash a few times, do not worry, this is normal. The card is just completing it's BIOS update.

7) After the screen is done flashing be sure to check CCC and make sure that none of your settings have reset as for some reason CCC likes to do that after you flash the BIOS.

8) You are done!

okay trying now!

Also will it matter if i have the lite version of the card?

Just be warned, you can brick your card. Have a spare system ready to put the bricked card into and make sure you have the backup BIOS. Here's a guide on unbricking:

http://www.overclock.net/t/593427/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-graphics-card-fix-a-failed-bios-flash

will it matter if i have the lite version of the card? Also my bios is the same version as the download.post-271645-0-55405000-1450255958_thumb.post-271645-0-22090200-1450256106_thumb.

will it matter if i have the lite version of the card? Also my bios is the same version as the download.attachicon.gifUntitled.pngattachicon.gifUntitled2.png

If it's the same version, then it's already up to date. No need to flash the card.

Are you sure there is nothing causing the power button contacts to touch? Just the touch of two wires can turn on the PC.

If it's the same version, then it's already up to date. No need to flash the card.

Are you sure there is nothing causing the power button contacts to touch? Just the touch of two wires can turn on the PC.

damn this is frustrating. i dont think any wires are touching as far as i can see. i dont know what else could be causing this.

damn this is frustrating. i dont think any wires are touching as far as i can see. i dont know what else could be causing this.

And you've reset the CMOS?

AsRock boards have a jumper that you need to use.

my rig does this

simple soution i found

turn off the power supply

if all else fails i guess. its just irritating that i cant find the solution.

And you've reset the CMOS?

AsRock boards have a jumper that you need to use.

i have not done that