Super ghetto testbench thing

huzi_a

So I got a new PSU and decided to get a new case in the process. I kinda cheaped out on the case which was cramped and yielded higher temps than my old one with virtually no intake.

I apologise in advance for if I'm vague or my photos are super huge. They were taken on my Xperia T at 9MP so yeah...

I decided I should get a test bench however since I'm not starting my apprenticeship for a while I decided to make a DIY one. This test bench plus the mounting brackets cost a total of £1.75 (less than $3).

My original plan was to wall mount the whole thing but when I had finished I found out the wall I was gonna mount it to is FAR too weak. I'll figure something out.

The only thing I could find was some form of shelf from somewhere. I dunno, it was lying in the shed, no one was using it, I took it and sanded the edges.

My PC specs while outdated and terribly matched are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 OC'd to 3GHz

Asus P5k Green board

Corsair H60 in pull

4GB DDR2 800MHz (2x Corsair XMS2 1GB in dual channel, 1x Samsung el cheapo 2GB)

Asus Radeon HD 6870 DirectCU 1GB GDDR5 (stock speeds)

WD Caviar 400GB 7200RPM Boot drive (not sure which model)

Toshiba MK1652GSX 160GB secondary

Iomega eGo 500GB USB HDD (filled with Steam games)

X Case 700 Watt PSU

And now for the pics

post-22825-0-13452600-1377634902.jpg

This was pre build, at this point I was making sure my temps would actually drop xD

post-22825-0-47009100-1377636679.jpg

This is the end result

post-22825-0-46658000-1377635147.jpg

Close up of the chipboard, drives and the brackets used

post-22825-0-91908500-1377635582.jpg

Cooler and mobo at awkward angle (couldn't be bothered rotating or something :P )

post-22825-0-79961000-1377635863.jpg

General shot with the HDD indicator LED on the right above the PSU

post-22825-0-72735400-1377636098.jpg

Front panel with audio and USBs so I can power it on and such. It's propped up because the PSU cable was being kinked by the ground

post-22825-0-11096100-1377636361.jpg

I had to use this bracket to hold up the HD 6870. Thank god it overhangs the motherboard :P

This is what it would have roughly looked like if the wall could hold it. Try to imagine it as mounted there rather than just super badly GIMP'd on with bad lighting and stuff xD

post-22825-0-89602400-1377638054.jpg

The temps are lower although when I get a few pay checks and I've bought a motorbike and such, I'm planning a full liquid cooling overhaul. I'll leave a rough draft in this link https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Vd-GDDDEs3SDmhHEMKWnr3ADXpxvBOIAf9NARJiN5P4/edit?usp=sharing

I'm open to all questions, suggestions and criticisms (I anticipate A LOT of the 3rd xD)

Very interesting...

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

That's awesome.

I would be worried about that video card flexing though...

Definitely something you don't see every day. Very cost effective though

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

That's definitely unique :lol:. That bent graphics card steals some of the show though :P.

This is awesome! I love ultimately ghetto builds for a change from the usual eye-pleasers that are usually posted :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

This is almost too ghetto for me. lol

But not ghetto enough.

Know what I mean?

The Syndicate

Y put that on a wall? lol

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Taking recycling and being "green" to a whole new level with this one.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Good job in actually making it work! Tho i hope it won't fall down on you..

I know your mailbox...

this was not what i had in mind when you said ghetto.. well as long as it works who cares, it's a test bench anyways

Nah, pal, it isn't supper ghetto if the PC isn't hold together whith duct tape.

That gpu sag... 

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

Thanks for the comments guys! The in terms of the car flexing, that's why I have the bracket there in the second last photo. I've checked for strain and it's the same, if not less than the strain it had inside the case. 

Y put that on a wall? lol

Quite literally for nothing but gits and shizzles :P

I should also mention in the first shot the card wasn't in properly, the I/O side wasn't slotted down fully

Its SO ghetto It works

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

wow huge pcie bending there.....

CPU: i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Maximus V Extreme | Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengance Red 1866Mhz | GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 SLI | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 2x1TB Seagate barracuda in RAID 1 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: HAF X Nvidia Edition | Mouse: Corsair M95 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 | LG Blu-Ray Player | 27" 2560x1440p Shimian, Acer 1920x1080p | AKG K550 Headphones | Behringer MS40 Speakers

Ghetto as hell,

my old pc guy used to have a computer he called 'Igor' because it was just strewn all over the desk in bits and pieces but worked.

Coolermaster Scout 2 Case / ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 Motherboard / AMD FX 8350 8 Core CPU (Stock Speed) / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 6GB / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/20323-scout-2-update-build-fx8350-h100i/#entry244058

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. I know that feel. Many times I've had my PC chilling out of the case for one reason or another. Also just found out that my H60 wasn't seated properly because the edge was held up by a capacitor. Which means the mobo was bent as hell :P Straightened out after I reseated the cooler and screwed it onto the chipboard again.

Also I should update you guys, the graphics card is still fine other than what I think is a software issue that occurred from before I took it out my case but that thread is in the troubleshooting forum

DAT GPU.

Might want to add a support for it lol.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla