Laptop hdd slowing down

Dackzy

Hi, a retailer once said to me that normal laptop hdd are being damaged over time because people move around with the laptops, and that they are not made for it, and therefore they are getting slower and slower until the die.

Is it true?

I have heard it from alot of pc geeks to.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Eh... HDD' s slow because of being written to too much more than anything. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Eh... HDD' s slow because of being written to too much more than anything.

Yeah I don't think moving it around would do much...

Yeah I don't think moving it around would do much...

It varies, but the "damage" increases mainly when you rotate the laptop when HDD is working.

Just imagine how the HDD works and what strain you make when you rotate the laptop :)

The usual movement just place it farther without rotation really don't affect the HDD...

Hi, a retailer once said to me that normal laptop hdd are being damaged over time because people move around with the laptops, and that they are not made for it, and therefore they are getting slower and slower until the die.

Is it true?

I have heard it from alot of pc geeks to.

Not really true because most laptops park their HDD's when moved, preventing damage.  The slowdown is usually caused by a fragmented drive or a Windows install that's slowing down.  Windows kneecaps itself for whatever reason.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

It varies, but the "damage" increases mainly when you rotate the laptop when HDD is working.

Just imagine how the HDD works and what strain you make when you rotate the laptop :)

The usual movement just place it farther without rotation really don't affect the HDD...

Yeah that's true. Realistically though they just slow down because that's what HDDs do. I see what your saying though.

its not all laptops that has that lock, and i have seen a laptop that just got slower and slower and he didn't lift his pc up when it was on

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Unless you use your laptop like a baton whilst transferring gigabytes of files, what that store advisor told you is vaguely true at best.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Unless you use your laptop like a baton whilst transferring gigabytes of files, what that store advisor told you is vaguely true at best.

a pc store called proshop in denmark.

and you must remember when you walk there are little shaking in the back bag