How do I make my Synology NAS show up in Windows?

Aztec

Hey I have a Synology NAS. I've got Mac and Windows enabled on the settings and I can access it on my Mac via Finder no problem. I'd also like to be able to access it on my Windows 10 PC but it shows up in the network part but when I click on to it takes me to the web page for the control centre. How do I make this show up in "computer" where the computer hdd is? I've been trying to look on Google for ages but I can't find it! Wish it picked it up like Mac. Thanks!

If you go into network and click on the address bar, you can erase that and type in the IP address.

Something like this without parenthesis.

\\[IP address]

Make sure you're replacing "[iP address]" with the actual IP address.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you go into network and click on the address bar, you can erase that and type in the IP address.

Something like this without parenthesis.

\\(IP address)

Thanks! is there anyway to get that to show up in the "my computer" part?

In computer map it as a network drive.

Thanks I've had a look there and it's not showing up even when I type in "\\(ip address)".

Once you get logged in, you can map it as a network drive by right clicking on it and clicking "Map Network Drive" or something similar. That will allow you to assign a letter to it and allow it to be used for Steam games, download locations, etc.

Bear in mind this methodology does have a drawback. Because you're mapping it through the IP address, if that changes, you will need to re-map it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Thanks I've had a look there and it's not showing up even when I type in "\\(ip address)".

I hope you're typing the actual IP address. If not, you will need to do that. I will change my post to make it less confusing.

Once you get logged in, you can map it as a network drive by right clicking on it and clicking "Map Network Drive" or something similar. That will allow you to assign a letter to it and allow it to be used for Steam games, download locations, etc.

Bear in mind this methodology does have a drawback. Because you're mapping it through the IP address, if that changes, you will need to re-map it.

Ah right I've got it working now thanks! Is there a different methodology that is more permanent? 

Click "Add network location" in This PC/My Computer, Click next, Click choose a custom network location and click next, enter \\(IP address)\(sharename) and click next

sharename is generally your useraccount, when you go to \\(IP address) you will get one or multiple folders, all of these need to be individually mapped under "sharename"

EDIT--

Ah right I've got it working now thanks! Is there a different methodology that is more permanent? 

You probably assigned the NAS a name when you installed it, for example Aztec_NAS. That name can be used in place of the IP address on windows if your router accepts DNS lookup

I hope you're typing the actual IP address. If not, you will need to do that. I will change my post to make it less confusing.

I've got it working now, just I forgot to put the name of the folder after.

Click "Add network location" in This PC/My Computer, Click next, Click choose a custom network location and click next, enter \\(IP address)\(sharename) and click next

sharename is generally your useraccount, when you go to \\(IP address) you will get one or multipul folders, all of these need to be individually mapped under "sharename"

Thank you!

If you've set up a homegroup within the NAS, it should show up in Network automatically which would allow for a more universal mapping provided nothing else changes except the IP address. I only have experience with FreeNAS, not Synology.

In my computer, map it as a network drive, be sure to go to your router setting and set a static ip for it, if possible checkmark always use the same ip address

• 7 months later...

Is there a way to do this with a remote Diskstation not on my network?

6 hours ago, chuck410 said:

Is there a way to do this with a remote Diskstation not on my network?

It is literally the same process.

Hey.

I beg to differ. Every possible way of entering my web address is returned with an error. Which port do I use for this? How deep do I have to direct it?

I am trying  https://nas.#######.com:5001; https://nas.#######.com:5001/share; https://nas.#######.com:5001/homes/username; \\IP\share etc...

Nothing works.

Screenshot_1.jpg