Apple applies for patent for ‘self-healing ports’ for waterproofing

The patent application, filed today, is for a ‘self-healing elastomer’ covering the ports. The idea is that when you plug in a cable, the elastomer deforms to allow access to the port, and then closes the opening once the cable is removed.

An electronic device has a self-healing elastomer applied over one or more external electronic connectors. The self-healing elastomer may obscure the electronic connectors from the user as well as provide environmental protection for the connector and the electronic device. Electronic probes may temporarily penetrate the self-healing elastomer to mate with the electronic connector. After removal of the probes the self-healing elastomer may elastically reform and self-heal.

Basically Apple patented a way to cover their ports with a self healing elastomer which would deform every time you plug something in and then heal and seal after the connector gets removed

post-39338-0-15925200-1449751560.png

Pretty cool idea if you ask me and can i guess can lead to much cleaner waterproof designs for the whole industry  ;) as always

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/10/waterproof-iphone-self-healing-elastomer/

Basically Apple patented a way to cover their ports with a self healing elastomer which would deform every time you plug something in and then heal and seal after the connector gets removed

attachicon.gifskitch-2.png

Pretty cool idea if you ask me and can i guess can lead to much cleaner waterproof designs for the whole industry  ;)

Source: http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/10/waterproof-iphone-self-healing-elastomer/

Decently sure this is the same thing as self healing phone backs.

Decently sure this is the same thing as self healing phone backs.

Not the exact same thing. This should be more of an instantaneous process rather than 10 min healing time. Plus those backs can only get rid of very light scratches while this material can heal penetration which is completely different

Not the exact same thing. This should be more of an instantaneous process rather than 10 min healing time. Plus those backs get rid of very light scratches while this is healing penetration which is completely different

Psh, Cloud gets impaled on a daily basis and he's fine.

Seems like a good idea, except I don't see how it could work with the types of ports and connectors we have today. If they come up with yet another proprietary standard they can keep it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Seems like a good idea, except I don't see how it could work with the types of ports and connectors we have today. If they come up with yet another proprietary standard they can keep it.

Why shouldn't it work with other ports? This is just one picture that was released of the patent

Why shouldn't it work with other ports? This is just one picture that was released of the patent

Mostly because our current ports almost all involve a tube-like connector, which would trap parts of the self healing material in it and not manage a proper connection. The example in the picture uses a needle-like connector with only the tip being used for contact.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Mostly because our current ports almost all involve a tube-like connector, which would trap parts of the self healing material in it and not manage a proper connection. The example in the picture uses a needle-like connector with only the tip being used for contact.

That's why I said the only one picture has been released. I'm pretty sure you have to come up with a practical solution if you want to apply for a patent

That's why I said the only one picture has been released. I'm pretty sure you have to come up with a practical solution if you want to apply for a patent

Well, it IS a practical solution in a sense, nowhere does it say it must work for usb or anything. And I can't think of how that would work. But we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3.5mm Audio

Lighting Cable

name any other cables Apple actually cares about.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

3.5mm Audio

Lighting Cable

name any other cables Apple actually cares about.

both of those have contacts on the sides, not the tip.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

both of those have contacts on the sides, not the tip.

I get what you mean, basically all connectors that are used nowadays are based on like face to face connection (no idea what it's actually called) and nothing is really a point contacting a surface.

So this idea is rather not useful, not useless, just not useful.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

I get what you mean, basically all connectors that are used nowadays are based on like face to face connection (no idea what it's actually called) and nothing is really a point contacting a surface.

So this idea is rather not useful, not useless, just not useful.

yeah, it's not useless, but if it makes me sacrifice standard connectors I'd rather just remember to seal the device's ports with the rubber cap before diving with it...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

yeah, it's not useless, but if it makes me sacrifice standard connectors I'd rather just remember to seal the device's ports with the rubber cap before diving with it...

Doesn't matter if it only gets implemented in apple devices coz I'll never have to or get to use it :D

I get where they're coming from though, it would make water proofing devices a lot more convenient and importantly, mindless. You wouldn't even have to make sure that the seals are completely shut before taking a swim with it, unlike my xperia z3c. (still wouldn't go swimming with my phone but you get the point)

Doesn't matter if it only gets implemented in apple devices coz I'll never have to or get to use it :D

I get where they're coming from though, it would make water proofing devices a lot more convenient and importantly, mindless. You wouldn't even have to make sure that the seals are completely shut before taking a swim with it, unlike my xperia z3c. (still wouldn't go swimming with my phone but you get the point)

I hate it when companies make things just for the sake of being idiot-proof :( I get why they do it, but it's sad for me to think there are people who actually need it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I hate it when companies make things just for the sake of being idiot-proof :( I get why they do it, but it's sad for me to think there are people who actually need it.

But it's apple, king of making things idiot proof.

Well at least they were, kinda heading downhill nowadays though.

Well an short answer is that humans are lazy. You just don't know it because you may have never felt it. Even though securely sealing flaps hardly takes a second people don't want to think about it and that's the point here. Simple is the new elegance and making something idiot proof is the best implementation and its a huge achievement which people don't appreciate enough especially in the case of Apple

double post 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

But that is what I love about well designed products, I shouldnt have to carry around little rubber bits to shove in my phone, or bits that can fall off etc

it should work without me thinking about it

Its not necessarily about being idiot proof - though that is a part of it, its just about making things work simply without being fiddly or complicated, with as few steps as possible

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not the exact same thing. This should be more of an instantaneous process rather than 10 min healing time. Plus those backs can only get rid of very light scratches while this material can heal penetration which is completely different

forever virgin

huehuehue

Iphone S7 "extra virgin edt."