Coding Software, and Where to get it.

TYCriswell2

I am wanting to code, because I tried it once and it was really fun and I want to start learning it. I want to use c++. Where would I download it. If there is a better coding software please tell me. Thankyou

Well, what exactly do you want to code?

You will need an IDE & Compiler. Most software comes with both

You have a few free options: Netbeans, DevC++, Code:Blocks, Visual Studio/Community. I personally recommend CB or VS because of support.

Here's a good playlist full of tutorials to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgcEjCd9as&index=1&list=PL318A5EB91569E29A

This is the year 2015.... AND YOU DONT RECOMMEND ECLIPSE??!

This is the year 2015.... AND YOU DONT RECOMMEND ECLIPSE??!

Because Java is terrible. C# uses extremely similar syntax while being more powerful.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Like games and stuff

Its going to take you quite some time before you are able to code a game so don't rush to it. Get a very solid foundation with programming, logic, and mathematics before you even think about coding a game. (Normally I would say that math isn't necessary but because games are very math dependent you will absolutely need it.) 

Also for "Coding Software" also know as an IDE or Integrated Development Environment I would recommend Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition or Code::Blocks. Both of which are free.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Because Java is terrible. C# uses extremely similar syntax while being more powerful.

Your info is outdated my sir.

Eclipse can compile and run any language under the sun.

While Eclipse is written Java, the Eclipse team has been considering porting the language.

You need a compiler (turns C++ into machine code) and you need an IDE (helps with coding), most IDEs are bundled with compilers so don't worry about it too much. If you are going to develop only on Windows and for Windows, use Visual Studio, despite the variety of great IDEs available VS is the most likely to reduce the number of headaches IMO, because it's a Microsoft product that runs on a Microsoft made operating system, obviously.

Games and stuff depends on what kind of games we are talking about here. Console based games are certainly easy to make, 2d games are doable, but you will need lots of time already. 3d games are going to take a few years (of course everything depends on how much work you're willing to do) to make from the ground up, and being alone, without a team, you're likely not going to make it. Not to mention the fact that you are just starting out, and game engines require to nail it on software design (which is learned further down the line when programming), you're likely going to have to rewrite the same thing countless times as you learn new stuff. There is a reason people use already available game engines, you know.

Of course I suggest not giving up on this, as you can become a great developer if you learn these things, work at it because you like it, my point was to make you not pursue making the biggest games, because that's quite impossible to do alone and from 0 experience in programming. Otherwise you will get disappointed and give up when you realize what you're up against, better not get too ambitious. Happy coding! :)

Like games and stuff

If you would like to do "games and stuff"

I would highly recommend using a game engine and in that game engine you can code. Unity is what I'm referring too.

They have many tutorials here of course the coding part is all in C# its similar to C+/C++

Unity Personal Edition is free until you make 100,000 dollars a year. I would highly recommend it for anyone because it has everything you'll need to start a game.

I am wanting to code, because I tried it once and it was really fun and I want to start learning it. I want to use c++. Where would I download it. If there is a better coding software please tell me. Thankyou

Step 1 - Compiler

If you're on Windows, you'll need to install a compiler. Two options for installing the popular gcc/g++ compiler are MinGW or Cygwin. Some differences between the two are outlined here (I just use MinGW). You can also use the Microsoft C++ compiler. I don't have much experience working with it but I assume installing Visual Studio 2015 will install everything for you. Just go into the custom options during installation to make sure C++ is selected to install.

If you're using Linux you might already have gcc/g++ installed. If not, you can install it through your package manager. I don't use OS X, so my knowledge here is limited, but I'm pretty sure that XCode comes with a C++ compiler so that might be the easiest way to get one there.

Step 2 - Editor

There are many editors for you to choose from. Most popular options are available on multiple platforms, but some aren't. Without getting into the text editor vs IDE debate, I'll list some options from both camps here.

IDE: CLion, Visual Studio 2015 Community, Code::Blocks, Eclipse, etc

Text Editors: Sublime Text 2 or 3, Atom, VS Code, Vim, Emacs, etc

The main difference is that an IDE contains a text editor along with many other tools/features (some you may use every day, some you may never know exist). Text editors tend to be very lightweight and don't contain much out of the box. Most support extensions though and you can build up a really nice environment for yourself as you want more features.

There are millions of developers in both camps, a lot of it is just personal preference. You'll discover yours over time. I keep both IDEs and text editors installed on my computer and use them both for different things.

Step 3 - Learning resources

There's a nice FAQ for starting with C++ here. There are some more resources here.

Have fun.