Gaming on Quadros?

RubyRoks
Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

Aside from the obvious price to performance issue in games, what's to stop me from using a Quadro M4000 in place of a GTX 970? are the drivers tuned odd? is it a power delivery thing? do quadros support shadowplay?

I have a Quadro M4000, haven't gamed on it much but I have some interesting results with it. So with compute stuff/3D modeling I have no temperature problems with this card, no throttling no BS. Games heat this card up like crazy, to the point to where it throttles while sounding like a jet(or Dust Buster V2). Whats even more interesting is the game performance. Portal 2 showed very similar performance to what I have seen a GTX 970 do, but GTA V tanked with the quadro(to the point to where a GTX 750 ti would be a much better choice), but then Minecraft was great with this card with both maxed out settings and shaders.

Personally, if you are building a machine primarily for workstation use and want to occasionally game, its fine, just as long as your card has excellent airflow. If you are halfway serious about gaming(like if you game regularly), just get a GTX card, either as your primary or to run alongside the Quadro(I haven't tested driver conflicts so if you do this you might want to dual boot). Quadros really aren't meant for gaming, and there are better choices like the consumer products, but they can still game I guess.

And for anybody wondering: Yes I got the Quadro primarily for gaming, the 8GB of VRAM makes me feel better at night. /s

@don_svetlio :) 

Aside from the obvious price to performance issue in games, what's to stop me from using a Quadro M4000 in place of a GTX 970? are the drivers tuned odd? is it a power delivery thing? do quadros support shadowplay?

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

dont support shadowplay.  some wierd driver stuff.  also, thats one of  the dumbest things ive ever heard.

dont support shadowplay.  some wierd driver stuff.  also, thats one of  the dumbest things ive ever heard.

how is it dumb? i was legitimately curious

To my knowledge quaddros don't support shadowplay, but then I don't use quaddros so I could be talking out of my arse.

The only difference in game that I do know about is that quaddros run at a far lower speed to most gaming cards. If you've got the heat solved, and can OC them (not sure if quaddro's support this again) then you should be able to get the same or better performance in game.

the ludicrous price

it may seem ludicrous, but if you're already getting a beastly workstation, why spend even more money to get a geforce card IF the quadro would do fine?

it may seem ludicrous, but if you're already getting a beastly workstation, why spend even more money to get a geforce card IF the quadro would do fine?

as the other guy stated, a gtw will run faster.  get a 1200 dollar titan black and blow away your quadro

quadros are build for number crunching, not polygon rendering. 

the GPU architecture matters. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

quadros are build for number crunching, not polygon rendering. 

the GPU architecture matters. 

i thought that the M4000 and GTX 970 were both built on maxwell. is that not so?

Honestly if you've got a workstation with quadro's in it, and your question is "Can you game on it" Then the answer is yes.

It just won't preform to the same level as a comparable (and far cheaper ) gaming card.

i thought that the M4000 and GTX 970 were both built on maxwell. is that not so?

@QueenDemetria

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

even then, the architecture would be different. Quaddro cards have to support direct compute, while maxwell gaming cards are built around cuda. Different technologies, different architectures.

That and the fact that if you get an error in a geforce card, then you might get a dud pixel. Get one in a workstation card, and your rocket just hit pluto instead of going into orbit.

even then, the architecture would be different. Quaddro cards have to support direct compute, while maxwell gaming cards are built around cuda. Different technologies, different architectures.

That and the fact that if you get an error in a geforce card, then you might get a dud pixel. Get one in a workstation card, and your rocket just hit pluto instead of going into orbit.

Looking on NVidia's site, as well as Newegg, the stream processors are labels as CUDA cores. Shouldn't they both be the same? and i'd be (hypothetically) using the quadro for 10 bit colour and cuda acceleration in Sony Vegas. 

as the other guy stated, a gtw will run faster.  get a 1200 dollar titan black and blow away your quadro

Not on anything else but gaming.

CAD work, gl with your shitty titan

Looking on NVidia's site, as well as Newegg, the stream processors are labels as CUDA cores. Shouldn't they both be the same? and i'd be (hypothetically) using the quadro for 10 bit colour and cuda acceleration in Sony Vegas. 

They are cuda, but due to some driver tomfoolery they can function as directcompute. The compromise seems to hurt them.

They can function for their intended purpose, they just function at the listed processing speed instead of a gaming cards which is always far higher as they don't have to worry about all the extras.

btw. Previous generation titans did support direct compute. and will function just fine in CAD, and 3d modeling which most older programs require directcompute, and are not optimised to work with CUDA. The TitanX (the latest) does not support direct compute, so I can understand some confusion....

I have a Quadro M4000, haven't gamed on it much but I have some interesting results with it. So with compute stuff/3D modeling I have no temperature problems with this card, no throttling no BS. Games heat this card up like crazy, to the point to where it throttles while sounding like a jet(or Dust Buster V2). Whats even more interesting is the game performance. Portal 2 showed very similar performance to what I have seen a GTX 970 do, but GTA V tanked with the quadro(to the point to where a GTX 750 ti would be a much better choice), but then Minecraft was great with this card with both maxed out settings and shaders.

Personally, if you are building a machine primarily for workstation use and want to occasionally game, its fine, just as long as your card has excellent airflow. If you are halfway serious about gaming(like if you game regularly), just get a GTX card, either as your primary or to run alongside the Quadro(I haven't tested driver conflicts so if you do this you might want to dual boot). Quadros really aren't meant for gaming, and there are better choices like the consumer products, but they can still game I guess.

And for anybody wondering: Yes I got the Quadro primarily for gaming, the 8GB of VRAM makes me feel better at night. /s

@don_svetlio :) 

If it weren't for Sony Vegas not supporting SLI (at least in my research) i'd grab a titan z

Most "compute programs"(ie. not games) don't support SLI, but some of these programs can still take advantage of multiple cards at once.

so would something like a titan z aid in these types of workflows, or would the money be better spend on a few high end GeForce cards?

so would something like a titan z aid in these types of workflows, or would the money be better spend on a few high end GeForce cards?

I hate to say "it depends", but it does depend on the task. For stuff like Adobe I've noticed that consumer cards hold up very well to Prosumer stuff, but things like running simulations in Solidworks my Quadro(essentially a 970) bitch slaps my GTX 980. I haven't experimented much with multi-GPU "work" stuff because it usually doesn't work(introduces more problems, performance drop, etc.), but looking back at my old workstation which had a 550ti and 9500gt, I had it dialed in pretty well(the 9500gt decoded video while the 550ti encoded video, extremely fast for the meh hardware that it was).

depends on your case, power supply, and open pci slots

Just pointing it out that the m series are still dp crippled so unless vram was a huge concern in the first place a GeForce card is actually better at many compute situations.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS