Help me make a decision: MSI GTX 670 SLI, GTX 780 or Hawaii GPUs? 1080p@60

With new games shipping in fall I think I have to upgrade my rig in order not to fall short on max settings and 60 frames per second.

During the last couple weeks I couldn't stop thinking about getting myself a second MSI GTX 670 Power Edition, but due to my lack of experience in multi-GPU business it's a hard buying decision. Since both cards only have 2GB Vram I'm wondering if I run into a bottleneck with games like Battlefield 4 and future triple-A titles. My i7 2700k also raises the question if there's enough bandwith for 2x PCI-E 3.0 cards on an MSI z77a-GD55 board. 

So I started looking at other solutions such as overclocked GTX 780s and the upcoming AMD Volcanic Islands, but as far as I've seen, 700-GPUs offer nowhere near the performance of an SLI setup, other than the higher bandwith and more Vram.

Psu will be an XFX Black Edition 750W

Which solution should I go for?

Thank you very much and have a good day.

144Hz goodness

Wait for Hawaii before making your decision.

The SLI configuration seems like it would be the best value.

Get the 780 or wait for the 9000 Series. Multi-GPU setups can run into a few problems. The 780 is already a beast of a card.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Hawaii definitely, wait for benchmarks and problems to get fixed. Then make your decision

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

If you end up getting an Nvidia card, go for a 760.

The OP already has a 670.

Why would he get a 760? He has a 670 now. Or am I missing something?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

What?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Hawaii definitely, wait for benchmarks and problems to get fixed. Then make your decision

Not sure how you can say that about a card that has not yet been released, but in this case he should at least wait for the new cards to land before making his decision.

If you're going to spend the money on Nvidia, i'd say you might as well spend the few extra bucks for the 780. Running SLI will just cause unnecessary headaches in the long run.

Cheers,

Linus

Wait for the new series. You can always buy a 780/670 if for some reason you don't like them.

if you only have 60hz and 1080 i'd wait for 9XXX series and then get a 9950 or so.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Not sure how you can say that about a card that has not yet been released, but in this case he should at least wait for the new cards to land before making his decision.

If you're going to spend the money on Nvidia, i'd say you might as well spend the few extra bucks for the 780. Running SLI will just cause unnecessary headaches in the long run.

I'm saying wait for the Hawaii benchmarks and the bugs to be fixed before deciding what to do..

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

That was very quick.

Thank you. 

AMD 9000 or R9 or whatever it's called could really be a bang for the buck with Never Settle, so I'll wait it out.

144Hz goodness

Wait until autumn, both nVidia and AMD should release new cards. Anyway sell the 670 and buy a 780/9970/Titan (If it gets cheaper, for around $750-800 it isn't a bad deal)

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

• 1 month later...

The 290X was detailed so it's time to get this thread out of the limbus.

I wasn't able to sell my GTX 670, performance wise one AMD card should be a downgrade to SLI 670 OC, I want to get Mantle however: so do you guys recommend Crossfire 280X or high charged 7970s? It's easy to be concerned about micro-stuttering if you always hear about how bad it is.

I want all those FPS which I can't get with one card.

144Hz goodness

The 290X was detailed so it's time to get this thread out of the limbus.

I wasn't able to sell my GTX 670, performance wise one AMD card should be a downgrade to SLI 670 OC, I want to get Mantle however: so do you guys recommend Crossfire 280X or high charged 7970s? It's easy to be concerned about micro-stuttering if you always hear about how bad it is.

I want all those FPS which I can't get with one card.

Wait for benchmarks before deciding. We can't really tell you whats the better option when we have no idea how any of the AMD cards perform. 

For 1080p I'd think a single 290x would be enough. Hell, a 780 is enough for that resolution. 

Wait for Maxwell :)

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

I would get the Hawaii gpus as it gives you the chance to crossfire in the future and AMD gpus provide the best performance for the money imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Wait till Hawaii, if its not that good get another 670.

FX 6300 | Sapphire 7770 | G-Skill Ares 8GB | WD Blue 1TB | ASUS M5A78L-M

Tritton Kunai | Logitech Proteus Core G502 | Razer Blackwidow Tournament 

If you already have a 670, i would just grab another and throw it in there for a nice SLI ;)

I would wait for Maxwell

Yea....  maxwell is going to pawn sauce that hawaii 

If you already have a 670, i would just grab another and throw it in there for a nice SLI ;)

Yeah, I just saw a GTX 670 FTW for 222€ and that's a pretty damn good price looking how most of the 670s and 680s are all over 300 and 350.

SLI'ing two different manufacturers ain't that awesome but price to performance wise it kills almost all of the top end cards. 

Edit: Nope, that was a repaired model so I have to go the non-sli way.

144Hz goodness