Possibly Replacing the H110 GT for Positive Airflow/Silence

shadowr1ku

Hello Forum!

So I have been thinking about replacing the H110 GT because I have notice that either the pump or the fan (I don't know which) is making noticeably loud noise.

My temps are fine, but I am just worried that if I keep leaving it alone it could pose a problem.

Anyway, after the situation has shown itself I was thinking about how my airflow is and it definitely has more negative air pressure than positive. I will include a MS paint picture of the setup.

I just want to know your guys' opinion:

I was thinking replacing the unit for the Noctua NH-U14s, then replacing the 1 200mm fan with either 2 140mm or 3 120mm.

Thank you guys!

EDIT: Warranty is out of the question for certain reasons and I do overclock but not at all aggressive, just 500mhz more with no Voltage changes.

post-46174-0-55149500-1449351446.png

You can't fit 3 120mm fans in the front without modding the case. And the 200mm provides enough airflow and won't be as loud as 2 140mm fans.

So I have been thinking about replacing the H110 GT because I have notice that either the pump or the fan (I don't know which) is making noticeably loud noise.

i used to have a very nice watercooling unit in my build, now it's in the closet in it's box and i put back in place my good ol' hyper 212, it's much more quiet and now i don't fear it leaking on my 800$ graphics card...i got tired of the pump noise as well. CPU temps went up 5c but honestly who care?! it's still bellow 75c at all time and this is perfectly fine, cpu's these days are very efficient and watercooling them is complete waste IMHO.

If it's not a problem for you, i would strongly encourage you do the swap for a good quality air cooler instead (especially if you can re-sell the corsair unit for example)

I do similar overclocking as you do which mean pushing the chip to it's limit without increasing the voltages substantially, and even a 30$ cooler such as the hyper 212 can keep up with this type of overclock even on a CPU known to be running hot such as my i7-4770K. so if you're not happy with your current setup as i said just go ahead and get a good aircooler it WILL be quieter for sure.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

make sure you dont use the stock fans that come on corsair coolers, they are very loud

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can't fit 3 120mm fans in the front without modding the case. And the 200mm provides enough airflow and won't be as loud as 2 140mm fans.

Well damn lol Thank you for pointing that out! So would a 200m be effective for creating Positive airflow compared to having 2 140mm?

i used to have a very nice watercooling unit in my build, now it's in the closet in it's box and i put back in place my good ol' hyper 212, it's much more quiet and now i don't fear it leaking on my 800$ graphics card...i got tired of the pump noise as well. CPU temps went up 5c but honestly who care?! it's still bellow 75c at all time and this is perfectly fine, cpu's these days are very efficient and watercooling them is complete waste IMHO.

If it's not a problem for you, i would strongly encourage you do the swap for a good quality air cooler instead (especially if you can re-sell the corsair unit for example)

I do similar overclocking as you do which mean pushing the chip to it's limit without increasing the voltages substantially, and even a 30$ cooler such as the hyper 212 can keep up with this type of overclock even on a CPU known to be running hot such as my i7-4770K. so if you're not happy with your current setup as i said just go ahead and get a good aircooler it WILL be quieter for sure.

That's what I was thinking as well.. I would be very sad if my 980 would get shorted IF the Watercooler happens to leak.

make sure you dont use the stock fans that come on corsair coolers, they are very loud

That could be an option as well, but sadly I would still be negative air pressure

also i would add to that: make sure you plug the fans in a header on the motherboard where you can CONTROL their speed and also the PUMP should be plugged to a system fan headers and if it's controllable you can make it a lot quieter as well...but it will never be silent, a good air cooler will be silent on idle and QUIET under load.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'm quite happy with my current airflow config. Though, I would go for 2x140mm intake with new case instead, even if its louder than current.

So current is 200mm NZXT 12V at front. U14S with 2xA15s blowing towards top. 2x140mm Bitfenix Spectro Pros set to run max 60%. Its bit on negative side still since Spectre Pros have higher CFM combined. But since my room isn't too dusty, its not issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv