Corsair CX600M Review - Are all Cheap PSUs bad?

AlTech

Being made by Seasonic doesn't make it good.. Chicony makes terrible consumer parts but they are king in the data centre, where reliability and extremely high efficiency is all anyone cares about.

At this point, though, their name might as well be SafeSonic

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

More than fine. I dare anyone to say my PSU is bad, and mean it for real. 

ok then, your psu is bad for being good

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Just found this thread and it's got me concerned!!

I've finally built my 'first' gaming rig (about 7-8 months ago now) running a CX600M.

It's powering an i5 4690K (OC to 4.2Ghz), EVGA GTx 970 SuperSuperClocked (OC 1500Mhz), 2 HDD's and a Samsung 1Tb Evo 850. Case has 4 fans + H100i cooler. All on an ASUS ROG Maximus Hero VII.

Should I be worried about my CX600M? I've had no issues at all so far and I do game fairly regularly. I also create YouTube videos, so rendering on Premier Pro hammers the CPU / GPU. I'm able to play GTAV on great settings, Skyrim, Battlefront on Ultra...

Any help?

Thank you all very much

Hello Ladies and Gents! I'm DeeKay86 and I'm seriously passionate about all things tech (not to mention a tonne of other things!)

Part Picker Link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8nhXD3

Waih wha?

Cx600m is bad?

It's like $95.

That's cheap?

3 year warranty is bad? Wha (confused)

80+ bronze efficiency is bad/ too low. WTF IM SHELL SHOCKED

I'm getting the VS450/VS550 and it will do fine. It's cheaper and has less features than the CX. No modular, no effiency rating

Lot of YouTube videos and youtubers use the CX series.

I thought trusted brands spelled great reliable. What about unbranded or NOT well known company's that sell psu's

(I'll have the cx600m if u don't want it xD) I'll pay the shipping

OP, in a nutshell:

image.png

Waih wha?

Cx600m is bad?

It's like $95.

That's cheap?

3 year warranty is bad? Wha (confused)

80+ bronze efficiency is bad/ too low. WTF IM SHELL SHOCKED

I'm getting the VS450/VS550 and it will do fine. It's cheaper and has less features than the CX. No modular, no effiency rating

Lot of YouTube videos and youtubers use the CX series.

I thought trusted brands spelled great reliable. What about unbranded or NOT well known company's that sell psu's

(I'll have the cx600m if u don't want it xD) I'll pay the shipping

A 50$ XFX TS is worlds better than a 75$ CX

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

A 50$ XFX TS is worlds better than a 75$ CX

Might be, doesn't mean CX is ultra-bad

Might be, doesn't mean CX is ultra-bad

This exists for a reason

This exists for a reason

Yeah, jumping on a hate train is fun and all, but not until you have experienced it for yourself :)

So far experienced no faults with all 7 units in use right now in all builds. I will take my anecdotal evidence above this hate train any day.

Yeah, jumping on a hate train is fun and all, but not until you have experienced it for yourself :)

So far experienced no faults with all 7 units in use right now in all builds.

Usually it's the heat that kills them - in JG's review the CX failed the hot tests

Usually it's the heat that kills them - in JG's review the CX failed the hot tests

Well, might be, though I am running a R9 290 Tri-X, and another friend is too, most others use Nvidia cards, but still no issues.

I will tell you something else too, the number 1 geek site for the Netherlands  http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/267238/corsair-builder-cx600/reviews/

Does literally not have 1 bad review about them, (of like the 5)

In fact, if you search in Dutch webshops, nowhere do people say not to buy the CX in customer reviews. And I looked.

This is not a bias thing, this is just straight facts.

Maybe the internal parts are different there and here? (don't know, just suggesting possibilities)

Well, might be, though I am running a R9 290 Tri-X, and another friend is too, most others use Nvidia cards, but still no issues.

I will tell you something else too, the number 1 geek site for the Netherlands  http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/267238/corsair-builder-cx600/reviews/

Does literally not have 1 bad review about them, (of like the 5)

In fact, if you search in Dutch webshops, nowhere do people say not to buy the CX in customer reviews. And I looked.

This is not a bias thing, this is just straight facts.

Maybe the internal parts are different there and here? (don't know, just suggesting possibilities)

The secondary caps are chinese crap - as soon as you put it in a hot environment and stress past 60% you are looking for trouble.

The secondary caps are chinese crap - as soon as you put it in a hot environment and stress past 60% you are looking for trouble.

That's neat and all, but I have not experienced any problems for the past couple of years. Maybe geographical differences? (somehow?) (like ambient temps, building proces, internal parts used)

That's neat and all, but I have not experienced any problems for the past couple of years. Maybe geographical differences? (somehow?)

Ambient temps DO affect this - if your PSU is intaking from the bottom of the case and is intaking cooler air (20*C-ish) it COULD keep itself cool enough to survive I imagine. Load % as well as the exact CX revision. There were a few SeaSonic CXs a few years ago

Ambient temps DO affect this - if your PSU is intaking from the bottom of the case and is intaking cooler air (20*C-ish) it COULD keep itself cool enough to survive I imagine. Load % as well as the exact CX revision. There were a few SeaSonic CXs a few years ago

I know, that's why I said that, in the Netherlands it could be colder than in Bulgaria or the US in general. :) But that does not shut out normal room temps.

Perhaps they exclusively have seasonic CX's here? Who knows. 

Have one in my build.

One with a GTX 460 and FX 8320, which is going for 5 years now (a 500W CX)

A 600W CX one with a HD 7870 and a 860k going 2 years now.

Another friend with a Tri-X 290 and a CX600 (2 years)

One friend with a 750cx with a Vapor X 290 (1,5 years)

One with a GTX970 and a 600W one (1 year)

And one guy with a R9 280X and a 600W (1 year)

Have some others as well but used EVGA or Seasonic for those since their budgets allowed it.

Long story short-they are less reliable than my old unknown-brand (better than some good main brand) PSU from 2003/2004.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I know, that's why I said that, in the Netherlands it could be colder than in Bulgaria or the US in general. :) But that does not shut out normal room temps.

Perhaps they exclusively have seasonic CX's here? Who knows. 

CX by SeaSonic have been out of production since 2012 I believe - they were too expensive (and actually good units :D)

Long story short-they are less reliable than my old unknown-brand (better than some good main brand) PSU from 2003/2004.

Call bullshit on that one :)

CX by SeaSonic have been out of production since 2012 I believe - they were too expensive (and actually good units :D)

Odd then, but still, no problems here, so this hate seems completely irrational to me.  ^_^

depends on the OEM - if SeaSonic or Delta then his PSU is miles better

Odd then, but still, no problems here, so this hate seems completely irrational to me.  ^_^

Just be grateful friend - we have quite a few people on LTT who have lost their builds due to CX

I pulled apart my CX850M and VS650-both use shittier capacitors. The old PSU wouldn't have lasted this long without good caps due to when it was made.

PMSL

depends on the OEM - if SeaSonic or Delta then his PSU is miles better

All I know is that it has NAS on the side, its got a strong 5V Rail, and it saw constant use until around 2011, and it was last tested in 2007.

PMSL

I pulled apart my CX850M and VS650-both use shittier capacitors. The old PSU wouldn't have lasted this long without good caps due to when it was made.

Alright, alright.

They still aren't unreliable though imo. Quite the opposite. Might be based on anecdotal evidence, but still evidence. And every day they run without a problem is my thoughts being confirmed more. (at least for the CX's in the country I live in)