Is my psu broken?

itachi737
Go to solution Solved by Matt420740,

If nothing crashes that should imply that my psu is faulty (the ax 860i). Is my logic good?

Yea, if its only acting up with the 860i then replacing the PSU would be the proper action.

Hello,

I upgraded to skylake a week ago (mobo,cpu and ram). Everything was fine until today. My pc randomly crashed. Then it attemped to start, but crashed before posting, then it periodically attempted to start and crashed each time.

I unplugged everything except cpu, mobo and 1 stick of ram. At that point it posted again. I then added all components one by one and it posted each time. Later on, after 30 minutes of normal use it crashed again. This time I just turned off the psu and turned it back on. It worked again, but crashed 5 min Later.

Do you have any idea what s wrong? I believe it is the psu but I m by no means an expert and it worked well for the last 8 months.

Specs:

I7 6700kk with dh-15

Gigabyte z170 g1 gaming 7

2x 980ti sli (reference)

Ax 860i

16gb corsair lpx ram

960gb ssd ultra 2

Thank you for all your answers.

860W? Is it just me or does that seem low for the parts? I don't know xD I'm just assuming ;P Please don't hate me for that <3

860W? Is it just me or does that seem low for the parts? I don't know xD I'm just assuming ;P Please don't hate me for that <3

Yea i know its a little low,but it worked when I had my i7 3770k inside. Maybe the oc on the i7 6700k was too much for it. It did work for almost a week so I don't know.

I just hope that it is the psu and not something else, because I would suck to buy a mew psu and realise it was another part.

Yea i know its a little low,but it worked when I had my i7 3770k inside. Maybe the oc on the i7 6700k was too much for it. It did work for almost a week so I don't know.

A 3770K to a 6700K OC'd hahahahaha, I'd get some more people's opinions that are experienced but IMO this seems like a cause, maybe not because of the PSU. But it's possible your OC wasn't stable and so the PC can't keep up with it and so, it shuts down. Try downing the OC back to either A) Stock speeds or B) A lesser OC

Back your oc's down and see what happens, could you expand on what the crash is? Blue screen, just turns off, artifacting etc

a good 860 should be fine for your build

OAS || AAS || LLS

It just freezed. No blue screen or anything. I had to hold the power button to close it. I don't know if its due to the oc because after the crash it would not even reach the post screen. Right now I installed an old 600w psu and only one gpu. I have also set the cpu to its default frequency. I ll let it run for another 10 min than try the same thing with the current psu to see if it was caused by the oc on the cpu.

SImply downloading and running a CPU stress test like Prime95 should help you figure out if the OC on the CPU is the problem.  I'd suspect it is.

If the test runs fine at stock settings, but not at your current OC, then you're pushing the CPU too hard.  Back your clocks down a bit and run the tests each time for a while to find a stable OC.

Back your oc's down and see what happens, could you expand on what the crash is? Blue screen, just turns off, artifacting etc

a good 860 should be fine for your build

I backed my oc to default. It worked for 8 minutes and that it completly shut down. This was with only one gpu plugged in.

SImply downloading and running a CPU stress test like Prime95 should help you figure out if the OC on the CPU is the problem. I'd suspect it is.

If the test runs fine at stock settings, but not at your current OC, then you're pushing the CPU too hard. Back your clocks down a bit and run the tests each time for a while to find a stable OC.

It crashed at stock speed. When I oced it 3 days ago I used prime and heavyload and it was stable. I admit I only ran it for 5 hours, but since it crashed at stock i doubt it s the oc.

It crashed at stock speed. When I oced it 3 days ago I used prime and heavyload and it was stable. I admit I only ran it for 5 hours, but since it crashed at stock i doubt it s the oc.

Pull one of the 980's then and see if its a power related issue.  May be too much current on the PSU and its starting to cause problems. 

If it does fine with only 1 GPU installed I'd look into replacing the PSU.  That 860W is cutting it close anyways. 

Pull one of the 980's then and see if its a power related issue. May be too much current on the PSU and its starting to cause problems.

If it does fine with only 1 GPU installed I'd look into replacing the PSU. That 860W is cutting it close anyways.

I tried it with only one 980ti and it still crashed. Cpu at default. Right know I switched Psu with an old 600w and its been running fine fore 15 minutes. I ll let it run a couple hours. If nothing crashes that should imply that my psu is faulty (the ax 860i). Is my logic good?

If nothing crashes that should imply that my psu is faulty (the ax 860i). Is my logic good?

Yea, if its only acting up with the 860i then replacing the PSU would be the proper action.

Kk thank you for your help.