Do you like blurry macro shots?

Congy

Just want to find out how many people prefer the close ups that are currently done in Linus' videos. An example is this wireless card. Please vote!

post-37791-0-46131000-1377459075.jpg

yeah it's just a method on how to film a scene to make it look nice. Focus the object of importance so the eye naturally draws to it, then zoom in so it takes up more of the shot so it is easier to see and you can see the tiny details better.

I don't really like them.

But they don't bug me enough to stop watching the vids so I don't care ultimately.

[but I'd prefer them to die in fire ^^]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I do prefer these close ups because they won't let you distract on other area's of the video but just "focusing" on a particular part for example this WiFi card. 

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

By "blurry," I assume you mean the Depth of Field. I really like that effect and the macro shots. The only thing about them that I HATE is when Linus is showing a feature, component, etc. in particular and the view cuts to a macro shot. You can't see where he is pointing so it defeats the point of showing certain features.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

The problem with this question is that the image is only blurry when you take the screenshot at a specific point in the video. The macro footage shows close ups of features and parts of products really well, as the focus shifting allows you to really see all of the detail in each shot. But then when you freeze like above it looks blurry.

I personally like them as it shows the product better then when its just being held by Linus. Which afterall is kind of the point in watching unboxings. To see the product.

It depends

If the camera is facing the object in focus orthogonally and if the unimportant background is out of focus, then yes

If the camera is facing the object in focus at an angle so that the object is just slightly in focus, then no

Let me clarify

A photo I shot:

DSC_0051.jpg

The shocks are entirely in focus because I wanted to show those entirely

The photo in the OP is also good. The photo is about the PCIe card, and it's entirely in focus

Example of bad blurry photo (though it's actually video, but whatever)

post-37791-0-54703700-1377352295.jpg

I want to see the entire shroud and fan, not just the hub

It depends

If the camera is facing the object in focus orthogonally and if the unimportant background is out of focus, then yes

If the camera is facing the object in focus at an angle so that the object is just slightly in focus, then no

Let me clarify

A photo I shot:

DSC_0051.jpg

The shocks are entirely in focus because I wanted to show those entirely

The photo in the OP is also good. The photo is about the PCIe card, and it's entirely in focus

Example of bad blurry photo (though it's actually video, but whatever)

post-37791-0-54703700-1377352295.jpg

I want to see the entire shroud and fan, not just the hub

I completely agree with you. There is great detail on the suspensions on the bike and the rest is blurry. That's how Linus' close up shots should be! The small window of clarity on Linus' close up shots is just generally producing a bad image. Maybe you should work for Linus Salmiakbal? hehe

Love macros, but blurry not so much.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I think it was explained fairly well to you in your other thread by myself and others that with certain size sensors, focal length glass and available lighting that there are limitations as to how much can be in focus.

In that shot of the bike, it has a far shorter focal length with far less background compression, if you were to use the same focal length as in linus videos and shoot that close up you would have the same shallow DOF, might vary slightly depending on sensor size.

I think it was explained fairly well to you in your other thread by myself and others that with certain size sensors, focal length glass and available lighting that there are limitations as to how much can be in focus.

In that shot of the bike, it has a far shorter focal length with far less background compression, if you were to use the same focal length as in linus videos and shoot that close up you would have the same shallow DOF, might vary slightly depending on sensor size.

The thing is that the shocks are more or less orthogonal to the lens

The fan of the graphics card is at a heavy angle, so only the middle is in focus instead of the entire card

If the fan was to be filmed from the top, it would be entirely in focus

I completely agree with you. There is great detail on the suspensions on the bike and the rest is blurry. That's how Linus' close up shots should be! The small window of clarity on Linus' close up shots is just generally producing a bad image. Maybe you should work for Linus Salmiakbal? hehe

Haha, I'm nothing special :P

The thing is that the shocks are more or less orthogonal to the lens

The fan of the graphics card is at a heavy angle, so only the middle is in focus instead of the entire card

If the fan was to be filmed from the top, it would be entirely in focus

I think it has a lot more to do with the focal length and distance to subject, your shot is fairly wide, you can see the whole room behind.

In Linus video you can only see a small portion of a box in the background, if he were to use the same lens you did and fill the frame with the graphics card like in the video you would see a lot more of the background as its less compressed which looks far worse than shallow DOF IMO, and that's assuming the lens you are using has the ability to focus at that distance.

Angle obviously plays a part as you are intersecting the focal plane, but that is not why your images look different. 

This thread was just to simply highlight how many people liked or disliked the way close ups were done, nothing technical.

For the most part I like it.

I dislike it when Linus is describing/pointing out something specific on the product while the close up macro shot is showing something completely unrelated.

This thread was just to simply highlight how many people liked or disliked the way close ups were done, nothing technical.

Cool, I just thought it would be worthwhile to add some of my own input as to why it might not be possible to get the desired DOF, at least not with the fs700 and that lens.

To be honest I think they are done intentionally to a certain extent, but am guessing that lighting is playing a part in the aperture used.

BTT then - I know a lot of people dislike extremely shallow DOF, saying that it is unnatural, and yeah I do think this is kind of borderline, but if you hold a tv remote or keyboard a couple of inches from your eyes and concentrate on a button/key, you'll notice that the rest of them are fairly blurred in your peripheral vision.

It doesn't really bother me too much, I think the vids are a vast improvement over the old content. Sorry if you felt I was derailing your thread :) I am like a moth to a flame when it comes to this stuff :D

Cool, I just thought it would be worthwhile to add some of my own input as to why it might not be possible to get the desired DOF, at least not with the fs700 and that lens.

To be honest I think they are done intentionally to a certain extent, but am guessing that lighting is playing a part in the aperture used.

BTT then - I know a lot of people dislike extremely shallow DOF, saying that it is unnatural, and yeah I do think this is kind of borderline, but if you hold a tv remote or keyboard a couple of inches from your eyes and concentrate on a button/key, you'll notice that the rest of them are fairly blurred in your peripheral vision.

It doesn't really bother me too much, I think the vids are a vast improvement over the old content. Sorry if you felt I was derailing your thread :) I am like a moth to a flame when it comes to this stuff :D

Absolutely agree with you, despite my perception of it being 'blurry' it's still a lot better than the older videos!

Absolutely agree with you, despite my perception of it being 'blurry' it's still a lot better than the older videos!

Yeah apologies if it sounded harsh I get it all day every day IRL, and I really have to be nice to those people, It all comes out online :lol:

I just think that you have to give photographers and videographers a certain amount of "free rein" and hope for the best, as it may be a limitation of their equipment. This is why you don't really see a photographer that does everything, because they would be bankrupt in no time with all the various stuff they would have to purchase. Going from shooting wides to close ups takes a good bit of effort, lenses changed, lights moved etc, and considering that Linus n Co put these videos out every day, I would tend to forgive them for small things.

I wasn't directly trying to argue, I definitely see what you are saying, there's always room for improvement, perhaps increasing the DOF and blending in the cut-aways a little better in editing. I just think that it might be slightly unfair to criticize without knowing all the details, putting unnecessary pressure on them, when the majority of people are more than satisfied with the videos.

Sorry :( I am doing it again... but yeah I think most of us agree that the videos are getting better rather than worse and I think that for the small majority of people who don't like they way things are done are just going to have to wait, I am sure LMG are aware of the concerns and are striving to strike a balance that satisfies everyone. More people will complain when the quirks are gone :lol:

If they are done well, yes... unfortunately a lot of the time they aren't done well.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I like the pictures in general but in LinusTechTips videos, they seem thrown in randomly. Sometimes Linus is explaining things and referencing the product, and you just see a big picture going across your screen :P

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

Its called depth of field fools.

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

i really like when the object is focused and detailed and the rest is blurry

This!

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)