Unpowered SSD for Weeks

clon12

Hi guys, this will be my first post/thread and I hope to get some answers to my question about SSDs. I had bought a Samsung 850 EVO 120gb about two weeks ago to upgrade my current HDD desktop system to a SSD one and I am quite happy with the performance gain from it. However, my desktop is actually at my home and I am constantly away for studies, leaving the system unpowered for quite some time (usually 8-9 weeks) till I have my semester breaks. So my question is, would the SSD be more prone to fail in the long run or would data lost be more prominent if left unpowered for some time?

I am currently using the SSD as my primary drive with Windows installed in it. 

Thanks! :)

It's going to be fine. Don't worry about it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Right, thanks for the info guys! Gonna mark this as solved :)

~snip~

Hey there clon12 :) welcome to the community!

This is an interesting topic and the very short answer is "It Depends". 
The more extensive explanation would be that data loss in non-powered SSD CAN happen but it is highly unlikely that it would in a regular consumer-based environment. When stored in a regular 30 or below degrees temperature environment, SSDs should last at least 32 weeks (in most cases even longer). It really depends on the SSD itself, but most consumer SSDs should last pretty long without any power before any of the data on them starts to degrade. to be on the safe side it is recommended to use HDD and store the data on multiple drive for maximum protection when storing for longer terms. 
In your case I wouldn't worry about it at all. Contacting the manufacturer could give you a better idea and a more accurate answer to this. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/