Planning on building my first PC

Hello!

-My name is Joshua! I'm finally looking into buying and building my first gaming PC after a few years now and I have been looking into detail what to buy, now ovbiously I am not sure so who the best to result to? Linustechtips! I your channel and community and the amount of knowledge I have learnt.

-Anyway now I am new to the website, so I am not sure if I am allowed to post links? I will be posting the link and the typed out version, If links are not allowed please notify me before I get some sort of punishment.

-http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/LqxM99

CPU > Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor - £205.99

CPU Cooler > Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - £24.95
Motherboard > MSI Z170A GAMING M7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - £167.35

Memory > Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory - £81.99

Storage > Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive AND Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"  - 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - £58.59 and £34.98

Video Card > MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card - £395.99

Case > Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case - £137.42

Power Supply > Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - £87.95

Operating System > Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)

Total: £1200.14 / Including Shipping. 

Problems I am worrying about: I am not sure on the case I have chosen, or the Western Digital Hard drive I have chosen, and my Power Supply.

If you have any opinions on how I can improve this build in anyway for around £1200 I will be truly grateful!

Thankyou!!

-Joshua

Welcome to the Forum!

It looks pretty good to me but I think you should go with a different PSU. Also the R9 390 will generally provide better bang for your quid (weird saying but whatever) than the 980.

That HDD is fine but I would personally go for one with more storage - I don't think that would really be enough for me for long.

Sig under construction.

At what resolution will you game on?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Looks like a solid first build. You could get the R9 390, but I wouldn't because of a few reasons. Maybe more storage space? Yeah a bigger SSD (500GB) and around 2TB HDD.

Welcome to the community :)

Gaming/Editing Rig: CPU - i7 4790K|GPU - GTX 970 SSC|RAM - 16GB HyperX Fury|MOBO - Z97S SLI KRAIT|HDD - 1TB Western Digital|SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB|PSU - SuperNOVA G2 650W

Check out my YouTube channel and maybe subscribe if you get the time? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTkGuHFjcWH73lT8RqLK9TA

Check out my digital store for cool products! https://sellfy.com/Zolias

Welcome to the Forum!

It looks pretty good to me but I think you should go with a different PSU. Also the R9 390 will generally provide better bang for your quid (weird saying but whatever) than the 980.

That HDD is fine but I would personally go for one with more storage - I don't think that would really be enough for me for long.

I went for the standard 1TB storage because I currently have a desktop PC with 3TB of storage so no need to upgrade from a 1TB yet. R9 390? I have never read into AMD if that is AMD. Any suggestions why its good extra?

At what resolution will you game on?

1920x1080p i will also be buying 3 monitors, currently i have 2. I play CSGO on 4:3. 

I am also planning playing the new games such as Fallout 4 , Destiny, Crisis and stuff/genres like that so would my PC be enought to run atleast 30-40fps+ ?

Looks like a solid first build. You could get the R9 390, but I wouldn't because of a few reasons. Maybe more storage space? Yeah a bigger SSD (500GB) and around 2TB HDD.

Welcome to the community :)

Why thankyou, R9 390, Like I stated above I have no clue what an R9 390 is

Hello!

-My name is Joshua! I'm finally looking into buying and building my first gaming PC after a few years now and I have been looking into detail what to buy, now ovbiously I am not sure so who the best to result to? Linustechtips! I your channel and community and the amount of knowledge I have learnt.

-Anyway now I am new to the website, so I am not sure if I am allowed to post links? I will be posting the link and the typed out version, If links are not allowed please notify me before I get some sort of punishment.

CPU Cooler > Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - £24.95

Storage > Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive AND Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5"  - 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - £58.59 and £34.98

Power Supply > Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - £87.95

Problems I am worrying about: I am not sure on the case I have chosen, or the Western Digital Hard drive I have chosen, and my Power Supply.

If you have any opinions on how I can improve this build in anyway for around £1200 I will be truly grateful!

Thankyou!!

-Joshua

I think this is a solid, good build. Only thing I'd recommend is a different power supply like others mentioned.

And for the whole gtx 980 or R9 390, I say get the gtx 980. I have one in my build and it's a great card that will outperform the 390. With the Battlefront game (only played the beta, i refuse to buy it) but I was playing at max settings @ 60fps and that game has beautiful graphics

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I went for the standard 1TB storage because I currently have a desktop PC with 3TB of storage so no need to upgrade from a 1TB yet. R9 390? I have never read into AMD if that is AMD. Any suggestions why its good extra?

1920x1080p i will also be buying 3 monitors, currently i have 2. I play CSGO on 4:3. 

I am also planning playing the new games such as Fallout 4 , Destiny, Crisis and stuff/genres like that so would my PC be enought to run atleast 30-40fps+ ?

For the part about monitors, unless they just announced plans to bring Destiny to pc that would mean you'd also be using a console. In which case I kind of suggest having two 1920x1080p monitors and a 1920x1080p tv of the same size as monitors at your desk or whatever that way you can play all your games in the same space.

Hello!

Thankyou!!

-Joshua

Hey Joshua. Looks like a good build. There are a couple of things that you can consider though. But first, yes you can post links.

1. I think you can get a cheaper and just as good power supply. These are all 80+ Gold and semi or fully modular

2. Your storage selection is good. Samsung 250 gb SSD is a great size. I have a 120 gb SSD for my boot drive and a couple other things. If you plan on installing lots of games and storing videos you may want to get another or a higher storage HDD. 1tb is enough for most people but it isn't for me. I have a 1tb WB Black HDD for my games/apps and another 1tb WD Blue HDD for my documents/videos/pictures. So, if you plan on putting lots of games and videos I suggest more storage. If not then 1tb will do. You can always add more storage in the future.

3. There are 2 companies that make graphics cards for gamers. AMD and Nvidia. You choose the Nvidia Geforce gtx 980 from MSI. That is a great card. People were suggesting the AMD R9 390x or 390 because it may be a little cheaper. But gtx 980, I just looked this up, seems to perform a bit better then the r9 390x. Either card will be good but the one you already choose is a great card.

4. For cases, the Cooler Master Storm Stryker (I think also called Trooper) is a great case. Here are cases similar to it.

I choose back or balck and red cases since you build is black and red.

I personally like MSI for mother boards and graphics cards. I think their style is super cool and have great features. Asus is good for both as well.

Hey Joshua. Looks like a good build. There are a couple of things that you can consider though. But first, yes you can post links.

1. I think you can get a cheaper and just as good power supply. These are all 80+ Gold and semi or fully modular

2. Your storage selection is good. Samsung 250 gb SSD is a great size. I have a 120 gb SSD for my boot drive and a couple other things. If you plan on installing lots of games and storing videos you may want to get another or a higher storage HDD. 1tb is enough for most people but it isn't for me. I have a 1tb WB Black HDD for my games/apps and another 1tb WD Blue HDD for my documents/videos/pictures. So, if you plan on putting lots of games and videos I suggest more storage. If not then 1tb will do. You can always add more storage in the future.

3. There are 2 companies that make graphics cards for gamers. AMD and Nvidia. You choose the Nvidia Geforce gtx 980 from MSI. That is a great card. People were suggesting the AMD R9 390x or 390 because it may be a little cheaper. But gtx 980, I just looked this up, seems to perform a bit better then the r9 390x. Either card will be good but the one you already choose is a great card.

4. For cases, the Cooler Master Storm Stryker (I think also called Trooper) is a great case. Here are cases similar to it.

I personally like MSI for mother boards and graphics cards. I think their style is super cool and have great features. Asus is good for both as well.

For the part on power supplies, I think the Xfx Xtr is the best one to go for. Xfx is a very recommended brand for psus on this site. I have that same one and I do like it.

Depending on his uses, 1tb should be enough to last him a long time, and if he ever required more space he could go out and buy another hdd. When it came to my first hdd (when it came to my first 2 pc builds I used a 1tb hdd i had from a store bought pc) and that one lasted me a really long time, even with dozens of steam games, most of which being triple A games I had a lot of space still. It wasn't until I had around 100gb left that I got a second hdd (a 4tb WD black). I ultimately had to replace my 1tb hdd a few months ago cause it was getting really loud and I believed it might have been going under, which isn't so bad for an old hdd that's been in 3 different pcs

For the part on power supplies, I think the Xfx Xtr is the best one to go for. Xfx is a very recommended brand for psus on this site. I have that same one and I do like it.

Depending on his uses, 1tb should be enough to last him a long time, and if he ever required more space he could go out and buy another hdd. When it came to my first hdd (when it came to my first 2 pc builds I used a 1tb hdd i had from a store bought pc) and that one lasted me a really long time, even with dozens of steam games, most of which being triple A games I had a lot of space still. It wasn't until I had around 100gb left that I got a second hdd (a 4tb WD black). I ultimately had to replace my 1tb hdd a few months ago cause it was getting really loud and I believed it might have been going under, which isn't so bad for an old hdd that's been in 3 different pcs

Correct on both accounts.

XFX is a great brand for PSUs. I thought the Lepa MaxGold one just looked cool for the build though. Evga is a known brand to. I agree with you that the XFX may be the best brand there for PSU.

Depending on his usage is correct. He can just get a 1tb for now and later if he needs more he can get another one. I think that is a good way to go. Find out how much you will need but have enough storage for now. I'm not suggesting he gets a larger one unless he thinks he may need one. It's all up to him.

Thankyou for the detailed reply and all help from others, Now I have chosen the XFX Power supply due to your comments and how well rated the PSU is. Now the case options I love the look of my current case and maybe would like it in black. any other cases simular or? Never mind just realised you posted one the exact same haha.

AMD R9 390 is a Graphics Card that everyone recommends because of its fabled '8GB OF VRAM', however, it is best to go with your GTX 980, because it is a faster GPU, and you get a better choice of a free game (who doesn't love free stuff?). 

Gaming/Editing Rig: CPU - i7 4790K|GPU - GTX 970 SSC|RAM - 16GB HyperX Fury|MOBO - Z97S SLI KRAIT|HDD - 1TB Western Digital|SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB|PSU - SuperNOVA G2 650W

Check out my YouTube channel and maybe subscribe if you get the time? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTkGuHFjcWH73lT8RqLK9TA

Check out my digital store for cool products! https://sellfy.com/Zolias

Thankyou for the detailed reply and all help from others, Now I have chosen the XFX Power supply due to your comments and how well rated the PSU is. Now the case options I love the look of my current case and maybe would like it in black. any other cases simular or? Never mind just realised you posted one the exact same haha.

Yes I listed 3 other cases that are similar to the CM storm stryker/trooper and pointed out that the CM storm stryker/trooper does have a black and red version. CM Storn trooper is a great case and the others are good as well.

Don't buy the Corsair RM or any of the suggested EVGA units as the B1 and G1 are naff. The XFX is a good shot.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W