Most amount of cores for a system

Derpologist

Alright so I'm looking at throwing together a system for music production, which is a very high threaded workload. It requires lots of ram, and a very fast CPU. I need a CPU that has a lot of cores that are high power, which means it will most likely be an Intel based build. I'd prefer to keep the budget for the CPU to at least under 350$, but can go over a bit. I'd also like to overclock to get the best performance, and will be streaming music producing on twitch, most likely with OBS or Xsplit

I was looking at a 6700k or a 5820k

Thanks!

EDIT: Usual tracks (in bitwig, although FL Studio may become my new dig, it depends) are around:

20 audio tracks (drums, cymbal sweeps, FX, vocal FX, rimshots (of course), etc.)

1-2 Sidechain Kick Tracks

(about) 20 Instances of Native Instruments Massive 

Usually 4-5 plugins per track (Valhallah Shimmer, EQ, Compressor, Expander, TrueVerb, etc. These are in each track, and not individual)

Automation for each track, usually 2-3 sets of automation curves (Volume, Envelope, EQ, Compressor, Lowpass/Highpass filter)

10-20 tracks of other assorted parts. (growls, other basses), these are made in standard synths that are included with said DAW and an assortment of other plugins. 

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

6 cores + HT ftw, for livestreaming/rendering etc

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Alright so I'm looking at throwing together a system for music production, which is a very high threaded workload. It requires lots of ram, and a very fast CPU. I need a CPU that has a lot of cores that are high power, which means it will most likely be an Intel based build. I'd prefer to keep the budget for the CPU to at least under 350$, but can go over a bit. I'd also like to overclock to get the best performance, and will be streaming music producing on twitch, most likely with OBS or Xsplit

I was looking at a 6700k or a 5820k

Thanks!

I would go for a 5820k because moar cores, but because OCD and stuff I'd have to go 5930k because it sounds better and because of the extra PCIE lanes. Depending on how pricing goes, you might want to consider looking for a used x79 motherboard and a 4820k/4930k.

If you're simply looking for all dem cores you could look at AMD's 8 core chips but they really don't have comparable per-core performance to Intel's recent chips so they're really not worth it. Also, just get your current machine and stick a Xeon Phi in it, bam sixtysomething more cores. Not that doing that is going to yield any benefit, but moar cores!

Sig under construction.

5820K or look for an older Xeon/Opteron

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If you can afford the 5820K, that would be the better option. With 6 physic al and 12 hyperthreaded cores, that would be the best CPU. The 6700k is a fantastic chip as well if you wanted to go that route and supports faster and more RAM

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

I would go for a 5820k because moar cores, but because OCD and stuff I'd have to go 5930k because it sounds better and because of the extra PCIE lanes. Depending on how pricing goes, you might want to consider looking for a used x79 motherboard and a 4820k/4930k.

Hmm alright, I'll keep this in mind. 

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

5820k wish id gone X99 for my build from the start

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

If you can afford the 5820K, that would be the better option. With 6 physic al and 12 hyperthreaded cores, that would be the best CPU. The 6700k is a fantastic chip as well if you wanted to go that route and supports faster and more RAM

To be honest I'll probably be running 32 or 24GB of RAM, depending on what I can afford. Thanks!

To be honest I'll probably be running 32 or 24, depending on what I can afford. Thanks!

32 or 24? Cores?

Sig under construction.

5820k wish id gone X99 for my build from the start

Thanks for the info!

Now here's a question for you, I saw your PC got sponsored. How did you get a sponsorship? I've done many builds for others before, so

Thanks again!

32 or 24? Cores?

Ram lol my bad

32 or 24? Cores?

I think he meant RAM

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

I think he meant RAM

Yep. I fixed it lol

Ram lol my bad

24GB is kinda a sweetspot but 32GB is better!

Sig under construction.

5820k is better for multithreaded workloads (your scenario)

6700k is better for workloads that use 4 threads or less.

something to keep in mind is that -however probably not really optimal- you *can* upgrade to a higher core count xeon in your x99 motherboard in the future.

24GB is kinda a sweetspot but 32GB is better!

Yeah, bitwig is minimum 2GB, so 24 may be perfect for streaming and producing at the same time

5820k is better for multithreaded workloads (your scenario)

6700k is better for workloads that use 4 threads or less.

something to keep in mind is that -however probably not really optimal- you *can* upgrade to a higher core count xeon in your x99 motherboard in the future.

This is true, thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!

Now here's a question for you, I saw your PC got sponsored. How did you get a sponsorship? I've done many builds for others before, so

Thanks again!

Read here, but generally you need to have a couple of projects behind you and have a clear plan.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=161656

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Read here, but generally you need to have a couple of projects behind you and have a clear plan.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=161656

Thanks for the info!