Best GPU for me?

masked106

hi guys.

going for my first ever build here. am sick of playing Age of Empires 2 (as much as it is a beautiful game for the time).

im looking for something that can maintain 60fps on very high or ultra for a couple of years, I am mainly interested in Strategy games like Total war Shogun 2 or Rome 2, but would like to get into games such as maybe the Witcher, and any new games that come out which might peak my interest. the Assassin's Creed series is something I am definitely interested in since I have followed it from the Beginning. Specs as follows:

i7 6700k CPU

Corsair 230T Case

Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

2TB WD Blue HDD

250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

16GB Gskill Ripjaws 2400mhz Ram (DDR4)

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo

EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750w PSU

Cooler Master Storm Devastator Keyboard + Mouse Bundle.

24" 1080p 60Hz Monitor (using my cousins monitor since hes not using it anymore)

Windows 10.

looking for a GPU that suits my needs as someone who does not really mind about aesthetics, would like a card that runs cool under load, and does not use a considerable amount of Energy. I am a Uni Student so gaming is my personal priority, but I don't want something that uses quite a bit of energy since im going to be using this PC a lot and Youtube will come in very handy. Not Sure if im going to get quite involved in OC'ing, it might be something I would do, but not seriously (like how some people reach 1550Mhz on their 970) so that's not a main factor. Not sure if I should go with AMD or NVIDIA, I have been checking out the Forums and apparently AMD is better in the Long run whereas NVIDIA sort of forces you to upgrade to their next line, like the 1000 series which is coming out next year, in the way of Driver support etc. Don't really want an ASUS card for both NVIDIA and AMD, definitely not Gigabyte for AMD.

All help is Appreciated

thanks.

It depends, the nvidia cards are Very efficent vs amd cards, but the amd cards tend to be a better value and also performance at the moment.

I would go for a AMD card something like a 380x from sapphire since those run the coolest.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

As a university student myself with a computer with 2x GTX 770s, I would recommend at least a R9 380x or R9 390 or alternatively a GTX 970.  If I were to make a purchase today it would either be two 970s or one 980ti, but I have 2 144hz 1080p displays.  For supposed "futureproofing", buy the best single card you can.  Also, I know an individual whose needs are similar to yours with a single 970.  He also does content creation such as photoshop, etc. so I would probably recommend a 970. 

As a university student myself with a computer with 2x GTX 770s, I would recommend at least a R9 380x or R9 390 or alternatively a GTX 970.  If I were to make a purchase today it would either be two 970s or one 980ti, but I have 2 144hz 1080p displays.  For supposed "futureproofing", buy the best single card you can.  Also, I know an individual whose needs are similar to yours with a single 970.  He also does content creation such as photoshop, etc. so I would probably recommend a 970. 

My wife does professional graphic design with a 290. So.

And if you want to use swear words like "futureproof", do you want 4g of VRAM or 8g when Fallout 4 uses 3.2 on average?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

My wife does professional graphic design with a 290. So.

And if you want to use swear words like "futureproof", do you want 4g of VRAM or 8g when Fallout 4 uses 3.2 on average?

i don't really like the look of Fallout as much as this sentence might generate hate.

I do like the look of the 970, but should I be concerned with the whole "the last 0.5Gb is slower than the rest" ?

i don't really like the look of Fallout as much as this sentence might generate hate.

I do like the look of the 970, but should I be concerned with the whole "the last 0.5Gb is slower than the rest" ?

Games are becoming more reliant on VRAM, so while I wouldn't buy a GPU based off of it, it's something to consider.

Games are becoming more reliant on VRAM, so while I wouldn't buy a GPU based off of it, it's something to consider.

for a while I have been considering the Sapphire Nitro 390x for a while as its slightly more expensive in My Country over the 970, by about the equivalence of around 40USD. I have seen reviews of Sapphire and I do like the good cooler and cooling ability of Sapphire. I have seen reviews and seen posts of the 970 G1 gaming edition as well. Apparently good OCer but some G1 cards do have coil whine though.

AMD has a shedload more vram, I think it was the r9 390x had 8GB of Vram and it is faster than the 970. So yea I would either get a GTX 980 or r9 390x

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

for a while I have been considering the Sapphire Nitro 390x for a while as its slightly more expensive in My Country over the 970, by about the equivalence of around 40USD. I have seen reviews of Sapphire and I do like the good cooler and cooling ability of Sapphire. I have seen reviews and seen posts of the 970 G1 gaming edition as well. Apparently good OCer but some G1 cards do have coil whine though.

The 390x is more expensive than the 390 and doesn't show much benefit for the cost. I wouldn't get a 390x personally. My Nitro 390 averages 54c while playing Fallout 4 for hours. Never had it go over the 60's, worst I've ever seen it was 70c bench marking for over an hour. I max the setting on all the games I play too, even Witcher 3.

The 390x is more expensive than the 390 and doesn't show much benefit for the cost. I wouldn't get a 390x personally. My Nitro 390 averages 54c while playing Fallout 4 for hours. Never had it go over the 60's, worst I've ever seen it was 70c bench marking for over an hour. I max the setting on all the games I play too, even Witcher 3.

True the R9 390 Nitro is indeed a beefy card and price to performance is really good.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

how does it perform across the board? do you get a consistent 60fps in games like witcher 3? what about the new AC? ive seen 970 perform quite nicely in the new AC game so I considered getting the 970. more videos showing its performance on games. not really any of 390. this would probably be the selling point for me. I don't really care for gameworks. I would probably just turn it off

how does it perform across the board? do you get a consistent 60fps in games like witcher 3? what about the new AC? ive seen 970 perform quite nicely in the new AC game so I considered getting the 970. more videos showing its performance on games. not really any of 390. this would probably be the selling point for me. I don't really care for gameworks. I would probably just turn it off

The 390 performs well across all the games I've played, only times there's an issue it's in the game not the card as both Nvidia and AMD have issues. Gameworks is the boogie man in the closet nerd parents use to scare their graphics cards into performing well. Well balance mix of propaganda, smoke and mirrors, and gas lighting.

There's nothing wrong with ether the 390 or 970, you just get more for your money with the 390. I guaranty if you took any fanboy from ether camp and tricked them into using the competitors offering they wouldn't catch it. So buy the best example of the two your money can buy without worry. That's a good thing, we want to have problems like that.

I Have A Pc Like Yours

CPU:Intel i7-4790K Quad-Core LGA 1150 Desktop Processor

GPU:ZOTAC ZT-90501-10P GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB 384-Bit PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

CASE:CM Storm Stryker - White Full Tower Gaming Computer Case with Handle and External 2.5" Drive Dock

MTB:ASUS Z97-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

SSD:Intel 730 Series 2.5" 480GB SATA 6GB/s

HD:Segate Barracuda 2TB

RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32 (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3

POWER:Thermaltake SP-1000M 1000W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I Find The Gtx 980 Ti Runs Any Games At 60 Fps Firm And With The Kickass Computer That You Are Building Go For It That Would Be Insane! And Will Do Anything You Need It To Do And Go For Zotac! ;)

CPU:Intel i7-4790K Quad-Core    GPU:ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB    CASE:CM Storm Stryker - White    MotherBoard:ASUS Z97-PRO    

Storage:Intel 730 Series 2.5" 480GB And Segate Barracuda 2TB    RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB    PSU:Thermaltake SP-1000M 1000W