Want to build a soviet-era clock.

saya_kucing

So I've recently got into hobbies to do with soldering and electrical work, after modding my PC, working on my car and building/programming a quad-copter from scratch I'm almost ready for the next project; a Cold War era digital clock.

I've come here because I need you to convince me to fork out the $150 needed to build this bad boy, which I'm torn between my rhetoric of practicality and love of retro tech.

It's basically a modern PCB that you solder Nixie Tubes to in order to display a series of numbers. Each tube resembles an incandescent light bulb, only they each house 10 filaments shaped from numbers 0-9. The cons of this is that every tube has [at least] 10 points of failure - with the whole clock (assuming hours, minutes and seconds are being displayed) having 60 points of failure just in the filaments. Basically these tubes were a pre-cursor to LCD displays.

I've found that the Tubes can only be sourced from Russia and other former Soviet countries, and 6 tubes usually run around $30-50, depending on supplier. With the PCB coming in at around another $90 or so, this is one expensive, failure-prone - yet majestically elegant piece of technology.

This project would be strictly center piece material to show off and have on display around the house, but again - the price:functionality has me torn.

Any thoughts? Perhaps this has inspired you to utilize them in a retro themed PC build as a temperature display, or just educating people of what they are - since we've all seen them in movies, yet couldn't say anything on them if asked upon.

Cheers,

saya.

post-86316-0-92221000-1448638489.jpg

Never knew these were somewhat standard. I always thought it was just a Metro 2033 thing xD

These look epic. I went to search for some Nixie Tube clocks and man they aren't common. Do you know that wattage that is used to power these things? From the look of it it seems like these are the most inefficient and hottest clock ever.  :D

snip

Sure, then let's leave it at a train station or airport or even take it to a school and have people calling the police.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Rinoa Super-Genius as he goes by on youtube, was able to get the very same modules at weird stuff warehouse.

Unless your talking about the specific modules you are sharing in your photo.

This is so cool. I had seen these before, but had never known what the were. I share the same love of old tech. The incredibly inefficient methods of doing things as simple as something like displaying numbers is captivating.  If you've got the money, and don't have any really big and important purchases in the near future, go for it. What's the purpose of money if you don't spend it, right?

If you do decide to go through with it, though, just keep it away from your cats and your kids - unless you want gaseous mercury floating from broken CCT's in your house.

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

The pic you used...I know those clocks. Give me 5min, will try to remember the correct name

edit: nixie tube clocks.

They are expensive. try to find tuturials for how to make them if you have the tools for it

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Yes, it is amazingly cool

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Wouldn't the clock just say "time to get back to work, WHY ARE YOU WASTING TIME LOOKING AT CLOCK?"?

I can never resist the chance to make a good communism joke.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On one hand, it's amazingly cool, and if some of the numbers fail, then you can just get it to display the same number continuously and get people to try to guess what it means xD It'll still look awesome that way. On the other hand, money.

Edited by DebatED Nothing

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

GO FOR IT.  Don't let your dreams be dreams, JUST DO IT.   Ignore me, all I can say in all seriousness is, That looks absolutely AWESOME!