Building a Computer... in a PS2?

Hey guys, 

With inspiration from Luke's Fallout 4 Bomb Shell build, and my own desire to build a smaller computer for my television, I'm considering trying to throw something together inside a older console case. I loved my Playstation 2 as a kid, and it would be fantastic to see one under my TV again. I'm not looking to do any kind of gaming, I just want a machine that can browse the web, stream Netflix or YouTube. I don't think it'd be too difficult to get parts to fit inside a fat case like the Playstation 2, but the only issue that comes to mind is finding a power supply that'll fit and still run the machine.

Anyways, what do you guys think? And as always, thanks for the help.

"What're you supposed to be? A clown or something?"

"...Sometimes."

I think this sounds f****ing cool. I'm unsure on a power supply sorry, but like i said.. sounds awesome! :D

what PSU do they use in all the steam machines? are they purchasable?

That's a cool idea man. Some things that pop up in my mind:

- Since it's only for media streaming you don't need a high end build so maybe you can get a CPU with onboard GPU (i5 2500K or something) Or a very cheap old GPU.

- Maybe store the PSU outside of the box? I don't think there's PSU's that are small enough to fit in a PS2 box. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Hey guys, 

With inspiration from Luke's Fallout 4 Bomb Shell build, and my own desire to build a smaller computer for my television, I'm considering trying to throw something together inside a older console case. I loved my Playstation 2 as a kid, and it would be fantastic to see one under my TV again. I'm not looking to do any kind of gaming, I just want a machine that can browse the web, stream Netflix or YouTube. I don't think it'd be too difficult to get parts to fit inside a fat case like the Playstation 2, but the only issue that comes to mind is finding a power supply that'll fit and still run the machine.

I think it sound pretty cool, and tbh I kinda want to do it too now. Lol. In terms of PSU, with a case as thin as a PSU (edit oops: PS2) you're probably going to have to look into server class PSUs, which might require modding/rewiring to get it to work with an ATX standard mobo. Also, if it's only going to be for web/netflix (and chill, giggity giggity goo) then I would look into getting one of those mobos that has an integrated CPU and uses SO-DIMM RAM.

I'm seriously thinking about this now... I might steal your idea.... :ph34r:

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

There are motherboards that use an external power supply, I believe Asrock had some. I think you could even fit in a 750ti with a PCI extender.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Hey guys, 

There are motherboards that use an external power supply, I believe Asrock had some. I think you could even fit in a 750ti with a PCI extender.

This! ^^ I can't believe I forgot about those mobos! Doi!!! I'm just gonna go back to drinking now and Fallout 4 now. Lol

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Hey guys, 

One sick idea man. There might be a way to use the power supply of PS2 i hope. Any one do post after you are done with it.

Oh damn, I would love to see it finished & working [emoji1] Miss my fat PS2 that I had... Dunno if it still works [emoji4]

Buy a broadwell NUC and put it in the PS2 case...done.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

• 3 weeks later...

Buy a broadwell NUC and put it in the PS2 case...done.

NUC's are too expensive. How about a raspberry pi 2 with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Damn, I'd love to see this happen!

Although, for a power supply, I'd recommend you getting a motherboard and CPU like on the AM1 platform so you can power the entire thing off of an external PSU.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Hey guys, 

Yay!

A Mini ITX board is your best bet, I had to cut out the back a bit on my case to make my board fit without flexing, but you will either need to cut vents or find a really low-profile cooler for your processor. a pico psu is recommended but may not work with higher wattage hardware.

I suppose a nano ITX board would work too, assuming you can find a board with a suitable processor on it.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.