Project PS2

Jack.EXE

FAQ:

Dont buy that Cpu, buy the Pentium K.  No. That isn't even a question, and I will not buy a Pentium K. I'm on much too strict of a budget, and I find a good GPU to be more important.

Will the parts fit?                                    Yes, the parts should all fit.

What will this be used for?                     This will be used as an HTPC.

Why the PS2?                                        Nostalgia, and the challenge of building in such a case, plus it wouldn't look out of place in the theater room.

ps2.png

CPU: AMD 3850 1.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($34.81 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ECS KAM1-I(1.0) Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard  ($31.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force LX Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1GB Superclocked Video Card  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified TFX Power Supply  ($41.98 @ Newegg)
BluRay Drive: HL BD-ROM Slim ($30.00 @ Amazon, thanks @Ashley for the find)
Case: PlayStation 2 Fat ($39.99 @ Ebay)
Other: PCIe Ribbon Flexible Extender ($6.09 @ Amazon)
Total: $379.81

I thought I might as well start the thread before the parts get here to get some planning help.

Anyway, I've been wanting to do this for the past year, and it's finally happening!

What I'm planning to do:

My goal is to get everything fitted inside the PS2.

I'm going to completely hollow out the inside of the PS2, and creating a new back panel.

I'll be stacking the motherboard and graphics card, fans toward each other, towards the right of the back panel.

The power supply will go fan down in the left, underneath the slim BluRay drive, which will go in the classic location, the original drive's spot.

I'm thinking the SSD will be wedged in the far right, next to the motherboard and GPU.

PS2-Fat-Console-Back.jpg

Anyone got any input before the case gets here?

Good fucking luck fitting all of that in a PS2 case

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Good fucking luck fitting all of that in a PS2 case

The math checks out, everything should fit together.

The math checks out, everything should fit together.

Looking forward to seeing the result :)

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Even the "fat" PS2 is thin for a a graphics card

I've got a mint fat PS2 but I don't want to open it (still has the warranty sticker and everything)

System: Thinkpad T460

Not that cpu, please

get a pentium k

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Even the "fat" PS2 is thin for a a graphics card

I've got a mint fat PS2 but I don't want to open it (still has the warranty sticker and everything)

A GPU is 2 CM wide (Measured), so I'll be lying sideways in the case, using a flexible PCIe ribbon extender to get it in place.

Not that cpu, please

get a pentium k

NO. BAD.

Leave this thread and go cry in your corner.

I'm using this CPU. No ifs ands or buts about it.

If I hear someone crying pentium K one more time... I'll probs lose my mind.

Make sure to ground the mobo :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Make sure to ground the mobo :)

I've got some wire that I'll be connecting from the standoffs to the PSU's case.

Looking forward to this. Seeing a picture of a good old PS2 made me shed a tear. Got mine somewhere in the basement, the hours I've spend on that. Good times.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

A GPU is 2 CM wide (Measured), so I'll be lying sideways in the case, using a flexible PCIe ribbon extender to get it in place.

Oh i missed that. 

Looks like you have it planned out, good luck.

Looking forward to this. Seeing a picture of a good old PS2 made me shed a tear. Got mine somewhere in the basement, the hours I've spend on that. Good times.

Yeaaa hours and hours of Gran Turismo...

This would be fun to do some day with my fat PS2. But only once I could emulate a PS2 decently enough with a machine in such a small enclosure.

Sig under construction.

I've ordered a busted one so I don't have to cannibalize a working one.

This will be a cool project! PS2's sure bring back memories.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

This would be fun to do some day with my fat PS2. But only once I could emulate a PS2 decently enough with a machine in such a small enclosure.

Funny thing, I'm planning to stream emulated games from my desktop to the HTPC, as well as the more demanding games.

But whatever can be run locally, will, hence the GTX 750

Anyway, hunker down & follow this topic, cause we've gotta wait till thursday for delivery. :(