gsync-should i have vsync on or off in both games and nvidia control panel

nodim666

thanks

Fractal Design Define R5~ Asus Maximus VII HERO~ i7-4790k@ 4.7 GHz. ~ GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming ~ 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 HZ. ~ Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Coolermaster V Series 1000W~ Noctua NH-D15+ Noctua NH-A14 FLX x3-   BenQ's XL2420G Monitor  - Steelseries APEX M800 / Zowie EC2-A / Zowie G-SR

When you have a G-Sync display, the NVIDIA Control Panel will have "G-Sync" as an option. In your games, I would suggest that V-Sync is turned off to ensure there are no conflicts with your drivers, though the NVIDIA Control Panel should automatically override the setting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

In driver have it set to on, ingame off. Then get Rivatuner and cap your fps to 138 or something to prevent any additional input latency.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

In driver have it set to on, ingame off. Then get Rivatuner and cap your fps to 138 or something to prevent any additional input latency.

so basicly games vsync off

nvp-gsync on and vysnc on

and use the rivatuelner to cap my fps at 138?why not 144hz

Fractal Design Define R5~ Asus Maximus VII HERO~ i7-4790k@ 4.7 GHz. ~ GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming ~ 16 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 HZ. ~ Samsung 850EVO 1TB SSD ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Coolermaster V Series 1000W~ Noctua NH-D15+ Noctua NH-A14 FLX x3-   BenQ's XL2420G Monitor  - Steelseries APEX M800 / Zowie EC2-A / Zowie G-SR

The V-Sync setting in Manage 3D Settings must be set to G-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

a-setGsync1.jpg

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The V-Sync setting in Manage 3D Settings must be set to G-Sync in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

a-setGsync1.jpg

Your picture looks a bit outdated :3.

Also, not sure if you realise, but you do also have to enable vsync in "manage 3d settings" too, also well as enabling gsync in the screenshot you shared.

System specs

Peripherals

So OP, to clarify.

Ingame: Vsync Off

Control panel: Gsync On, Vsync On.

The rivatuna part is optional, but recommended, the trouble about gsync, is if your FPS goes up to the 144 fps maximum cap, you get additional input latency, it's just from how the vsync technology works, but it's there none the less, if you had 20ms of input latency at 140 fps, you'd get like 40ms at 144 fps.

Having an fps cap in one form or another prevents you from reaching that 144 fps point, so you'll never get input lag. Although It's mostly the competitive folk who notice it the input lag at 144 fps, some more casual gamers won't.

Edit: read through this http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1657 it'll be insightful.

Edit 2: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/ that article is pretty good too, it's pretty old, but it still stand up pretty well, capping the fps to 138 gives the same low input latency affect as 120 in the graphs.

System specs

Peripherals

So OP, to clarify.

Ingame: Vsync Off

Control panel: Gsync On, Vsync On.

The rivatuna part is optional, but recommended, the trouble about gsync, is if your FPS goes up to the 144 fps maximum cap, you get additional input latency, it's just from how the vsync technology works, but it's there none the less, if you had 20ms of input latency at 140 fps, you'd get like 40ms at 144 fps.

Having an fps cap in one form or another prevents you from reaching that 144 fps point, so you'll never get input lag. Although It's mostly the competitive folk who notice it the input lag at 144 fps, some more casual gamers won't.

Edit: read through this http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1657 it'll be insightful.

Edit 2: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/ that article is pretty good too, it's pretty old, but it still stand up pretty well, capping the fps to 138 gives the same low input latency affect as 120 in the graphs.

thanks! i never knew the part with the fps cap and i will do it :)

thanks! i never knew the part with the fps cap and i will do it :)

Yeah, I think blurbusters is down atm, I can't load any of the things I linked :3. Maybe try them later.

System specs

Peripherals

Yeah, I think blurbusters is down atm, I can't load any of the things I linked :3. Maybe try them later.

no need for bluebusters

basicly you want me to cap the fps around 138 with rivatuner to avoid higher input lag

what i need to know is > should i cap the fps around 138 also in the games i play?

for example some games let u choose exactly the fps u  want so i can choose 138 but some of them offers 120-125-130- and such so maybe 140 would be better choice in games

no need for bluebusters

basicly you want me to cap the fps around 138 with rivatuner to avoid higher input lag

what i need to know is > should i cap the fps around 138 also in the games i play?

for example some games let u choose exactly the fps u  want so i can choose 138 but some of them offers 120-125-130- and such so maybe 140 would be better choice in games

I'm not sure I understand, but I say 138 just so you have plenty of headroom and margin. 140 fps would work fine too if that is the native option inside a game, I just use rivatuner because it's easy, some argue it's better to cap fps in-game via console commands or whatever options that game might have, but I don't know how true that is.

Regardless, 138 is still a bloody high framerate, and is super super smooth and seamless.

Edit: after reading your post again, I think I understand, you only need to cap the FPS using rivatuner OR by an ingame method, using both at the same time could be detrimental, you can set rules in rivatuner to not cap some games.

For instance, I run a global cap of 138, but I set a separate profile for CSGO in rivatuner that disables rivatuner for that game, then I set fps_max 141 in CSGO.

System specs

Peripherals

Your picture looks a bit outdated :3.

Also, not sure if you realise, but you do also have to enable vsync in "manage 3d settings" too, also well as enabling gsync in the screenshot you shared.

I don't have a G-Sync display so I can't keep up with that unfortunately nor test it. But I did look up NVIDIA's article on enabling G-Sync(at the time of release for Mobile G-Sync) and you are correct. The screenshot is now outdated.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/g-sync-gets-even-better

Wait, all I've ever done is make sure my Swifts led is showing red, meating gsync is on. I assumed vsync was always off at the default Regardless of the game.

That isn't the case?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB