(Rumour) AMD Zen CPUs to Release in Q4 2016 – APUs In 2017 - GPU performance around the PS4 And XBOX ONE level

Mr_Troll

They'll die when the vast majority of software necessitates quad-core machines. And honestly if Intel moves to 4-way SMT as on KNL, then performance scaling on dual-core chips may increase to the point it remains more than acceptable.

acceptable for what?

chrome tab hero?

acceptable for what?

chrome tab hero?

People stuck with Pentium D?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

People stuck with Pentium D?

people stuck in the past should check a calendar then check their bank accounts.

if the year is 2015 and they have 140-160 USD, they should get a 7670k + A88X board or i3 4130 + B81 board.....

people stuck in the past should check a calendar then check their bank accounts.

if the year is 2015 and they have 140-160 USD, they should get a 7670k + A88X board or i3 4130 + B81 board.....

Try telling that to a high school. I know of one that still uses said Pentium D, plus Celeron D and Northwood Pentium 4. (I think they still have Celeron M3** laptops as well, running Windows 7 on 512MB RAM with 40GB HDD)

PMSL

Try telling that to a high school. I know of one that still uses said Pentium D, plus Celeron D and Northwood Pentium 4. (I think they still have Celeron M3** laptops as well, running Windows 7 on 512MB RAM with 40GB HDD)

meh, school institutions only buy the leftover crap the OEM retailers couldnt get out of their doors 5 years ago.

public institutions are the best example of poor resource management. Goes for ANYTHING bought by the gov....

acceptable for what?

chrome tab hero?

Acceptable for productivity down the line, for general use even in an era that demands more. Think about how much work your computer actually does to have a web page up. It's text, window color, images, and rendering info. Other than that it's data mining. Do you really need more than 2 cores for that? Does watching movies really need that kind of processing power? Microsoft office (unless using excel for simulations) certainly doesn't need it. Visual Studio shouldn't need it, though it certainly uses it... Photo editing should be almost completely GPU-dependent. Video editing and CAD are about the only major productivity tasks of non-professionals that really need high core counts.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

meh, school institutions only buy the leftover crap the OEM retailers couldnt get out of their doors 5 years ago.

public institutions are the best example of poor resource management. Goes for ANYTHING bought by the gov....

My university just upgraded from Core 2 Duo to I7 4790s in all the labs. We have nearly double the compute power in one room of the computer science building than resides in our "supercomputer" with 32 nodes each having a quad-core from around the same era as the Core 2 Duos. Publoc institutions have to be efficient both near and long-term with costs. It's a tough line to walk.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

IBM gets away with 250W TDP for 12 cores at 4.3GHz, and Intel's doing 72 at 1.3GHz for 250W TDP. I don't think AMD would suffer too much for 16 CPU @3GHz and 2048 GPU at 800MHz in a 400W package.

CPU would be fine, it's just cooling it and having 24 phase motherboards or somehing for it :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Not if GIMP can help it

Eh, with vector width already at 256 bits and moving to 512 soon, even there you shouldn't need more than 2 cores.

AMD should have an Ad like blast processing for ZEN:

Would be the best.

Eh, they already did one way better. I wish AMD had stuck to this level of quality:

Intel and Nvidia have never done anything of this caliber.

every intel CPU is an APU...

APUs have a place, in the sub 350-400 USD market.

no matter how hard you try, anything in that category will be better off with a APU.

why?

because every attempt at beating the APU at price will cause you to buy shittier components for the rest of the system. Which means that no matter what, the system as a whole will be shit.

APUs make little sense outside of this price bracket...

i hope ZEN APUs can CF with ANY GPU AMD has to offer, because if it can, it can be used as a booster in the lower end systems (360/370 levels)

If your buying an R7 360 for gaming you need to re-evaluate your life. ANd Intel CPUs are still considered CPUs. CPU + Free graphics is what Intel offers.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

If your buying an R7 360 for gaming you need to re-evaluate your life. ANd Intel CPUs are still considered CPUs. CPU + Free graphics is what Intel offers.

Technically you're both wrong. Intel refers to them as MPUs these days.

RIP AMD - Q4 2016 is far too late in the game. They need Zen out the door in the next quarter.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Technically you're both wrong. Intel refers to them as MPUs these days.

And where do they call them MPU?

PMSL

So excited for Zen...looking forward to being able to actually even consider looking at AMD and dare I say even Intel dropping prices????

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

So excited for Zen...looking forward to being able to actually even consider looking at AMD and dare I say even Intel dropping prices????

I don't remember them dropping the price of the Pentium 4 when it was getting creamed by the Athlon 64......

PMSL

I don't remember them dropping the price of the Pentium 4 when it was getting creamed by the Athlon 64......

Good point, we can hope though. It would at least be nice to get something that could actually compete with Intel. Anybody who asks if they should get an 8350 or 4460 gets spammed with people telling them to get a 4460, even when the 8350 is at the higher end of AMD's lineup and 4460 is still the lowest end i5.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Good point, we can hope though. It would at least be nice to get something that could actually compete with Intel. Anybody who asks if they should get an 8350 or 4460 gets spammed with people telling them to get a 8350, even when the 8350 is at the higher end of AMD's lineup and 4460 is still the lowest end i5.

And that low end i5 has a lot more advantages as well since AMD stopped competing with Intel in 2011/2012.

PMSL

Eh, they already did one way better. I wish AMD had stuck to this level of quality:

Intel and Nvidia have never done anything of this caliber.

I swear this is just a Halo ad more than an AMD ad.

._____________.

I just learned for the 7th Time on this forum that zen is coming in q4 2016.

- snip-

wccftech... i dont believe a single word of it

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.