Annoying Fan Noises

vigorstick

I've had my H100i for almost 2 years now and its done a great job cooling my i7 4770k up until about 3 months ago. The temps are fine, barely reaching over 35 in-game, BUT THE FUCKING STOCK FANS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY.

3 months ago i started noticing that the fans were getting louder and making weird noises and thought it was just dust build up, so i cleaned them up as well as i could and they still were stupidly loud, and since then these noises have gotten worse. I'm now hearing even louder whining from the fan motors and i feel like ripping my ears off.

Even after lowering their RPM to 950-1000 they still are making this ridiculous whining noise and the noise gets worse the lower the RPM and they are plugged into the motherboard headers (Asus Sabertooth z87), the fan headers that came with the h100i still had the same issue so it must be the fans. Do stock corsair fans just suck or did i just get unlucky with a defective pair of fans? Could i possibly RMA them?

Most people will say they suck, I think defective. I've had 3 running in my rig for about a year-ish and they're still whisper-quiet.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Could be bearings?  I had something like this happen with the stock fan on my 212+

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Corsair SP 120-l fans are noisy, only fans that I have ever threw away. They do a great job of cooling but the trade off is noise. Recommend replacing with Noctuas or other similiar fan.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

yes the stock fans have issues running on the integrated H100i fran controller

im surprised it took you 2 years for that to happen

mine made horrible noises when i got it new

replace the fans with something from fractal design, noctua, or bequiet and problem solved :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Try contacting corsair customer support

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Drop some oil into motor.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Drop some oil into motor.

Have you done this before? Would it actually work? and if it does work what oil should I use?

Have you done this before? Would it actually work? and if it does work what oil should I use?

Personally haven't had to. But it isn't that hard, there good guide videos on youtube. You remove sticker and lift cap away. Then drop tiny amount of oil there, give blades swing and put cap back on. You can use small machinery oil, maybe not bike oil. But same you would use for chainsaw or sewing machine. Local hardware store should know what you are looking for.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

IMO if you have bearing wear replace the fan. Adding oil doesn't fix bearing wear, it hides it and can result in sudden bearing failure, it's why industry stopped doing this with bearings many years ago for any bearings that are "mission critical".

Yes you may eek out a touch more lifetime and for things like a case fan then fair enough, but a sudden totally failed bearing on a CPU cooler could potentially kill your CPU.

So yes the oil will make it quieter but the reality is if it's noise from your bearings then they are already damaged so I'd personally just replace the fan.