PC only turns on for a second. Possible PSU failure?

JoFashi
Go to solution Solved by JoFashi,

Update: Turns out it was my surge protector. Replaced it with another one and everything booted up and worked fine. 

I don't post on here very often, but I've encountered a problem with my gaming PC. When I press the power button on the front panel, my computer seems to turn on as it normally would (all the fans and LEDs turn on and hard drives spin up), but after about a second it abruptly turns off. Could it possibly be my power supply? Or maybe even something wacky with my mobo? I've had USB issues with my mobo that I've never been able to fix, but I doubt that has anything to do with this.

I've plugged into different sockets on my surge protector, but to no avail. Also tried re-plugging the 24-pin mobo connector, but still nothing. Right now I'm guessing my PSU died, but I don't have another one powerful enough to replace it with. I'm also thinking it could be the surge protector, but with my (fabulous) cable management, it's really a pain to access that.

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

My specs:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JoFashi/saved/g3KcCJ

I don't post on here very often, but I've encountered a problem with my gaming PC. When I press the power button on the front panel, my computer seems to turn on as it normally would (all the fans and LEDs turn on and hard drives spin up), but after about a second it abruptly turns off. Could it possibly be my power supply? Or maybe even something wacky with my mobo? I've had USB issues with my mobo that I've never been able to fix, but I doubt that has anything to do with this.

I've plugged into different sockets on my surge protector, but to no avail. Also tried re-plugging the 24-pin mobo connector, but still nothing. Right now I'm guessing my PSU died, but I don't have another one powerful enough to replace it with. I'm also thinking it could be the surge protector, but with my (fabulous) cable management, it's really a pain to access that.

Any help is welcome and appreciated.

My specs:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JoFashi/saved/g3KcCJ

Try using one stick of ram. See what happens and let us know.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Try using one stick of ram. See what happens and let us know.

Still nothing.

Still nothing.

I saw you said you dont have a powerful enough PS to replace the one you have. What wattage is your spare power supply. Can you pull your graphics card to test it?

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Does your MOBO have an extra 4 or 8 pin connector? I forgot to plug mine in and had the exact same problem. 

any beep sign?

Nope, it just shuts off.

I saw you said you dont have a powerful enough PS to replace the one you have. What wattage is your spare power supply. Can you pull your graphics card to test it?

Hmm, I hadn't thought of doing that. I'll try and report back.

Have you recently done any OC as that could be using more voltage than normal causing the shutdown?

if so try boot up and lower the OC or even go to original settings and go from there.

'I'm no expert so sorry if I'm talking poop'

Does your MOBO have an extra 4 or 8 pin connector? I forgot to plug mine in and had the exact same problem. 

Nope. Just the 24 pin.

Have you recently done any OC as that could be using more voltage than normal causing the shutdown?

if so try boot up and lower the OC or even go to original settings and go from there.

I have a locked i5, so I haven't overclocked.

Totally thought you just said "Sorry im taking a poop" LOL!

did have try to reset Cmos Battery? before you put it back..try to push your on button for 30 sec ..and put the cmos battery back

Sounds about right, same thing happened when I initially built my system last year, the fans and everything spun up, some lights came on, etc

Then after a short second it would go black, sent back my power supply after investigating with some m8s and Newegg sent over a new one, put it in and everything fired up perfectly.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Your MOBO should have a 4pin CPU connector so be sure that is plugged in tight as well. 

Sounds about right, same thing happened when I initially built my system last year, the fans and everything spun up, some lights came on, etc

Then after a short second it would go black, sent back my power supply after investigating with some m8s and Newegg sent over a new one, put it in and everything fired up perfectly.

Okay, I took out my graphics card and put in the other PSU and plugged everything in with no results. Still turns off after a second. Now I'm positive that PSU works, as I just had it up and running in a different system about a week ago. Ugh.

Your MOBO should have a 4pin CPU connector so be sure that is plugged in tight as well. 

Yeah, it's plugged in.

Okay, I took out my graphics card and put in the other PSU and plugged everything in with no results. Still turns off after a second. Now I'm positive that PSU works, as I just had it up and running in a different system about a week ago. Ugh.

Yeah, it's plugged in.

OK so you can move back to your other PSU, if you ask me. It doesnt seem to be the problem.

Try plugging everything in and shorting the GREEN wire to any BLACK wire on the 24 pin connector and see if you get a boot.

OK so you can move back to your other PSU, if you ask me. It doesnt seem to be the problem.

Try plugging everything in and shorting the GREEN wire to any BLACK wire on the 24 pin connector and see if you get a boot.

What? Won't I have to unplug the connector to short it out?

What? Won't I have to unplug the connector to short it out?

Im sorry i derped a little. Im almost all here, i promise.

Have you tried clearing your CMOS?

Im sorry i derped a little. Im almost all here, i promise.

Have you tried clearing your CMOS?

Yeah, nothing seamed wrong with it.

It really seems like a MOBO issue to me. If you tried all the above including the 1 stick of ram it could be your motherboard is messed up.

Update: Turns out it was my surge protector. Replaced it with another one and everything booted up and worked fine.