4690k hits 100*c

hey guys i need some help.  as the title says my cpu is hitting 100* Celsius, and its how quick it hits that worries me.  I was going to overclock my cpu today, so i decided to do some benchmarks, and stress tests to get a baseline.  Once i start up prime95 my cpu temps skyrocket so quick, literally they hit 100*c within 5 seconds.  Ive used multiple temp reading programs to make sure i wasnt getting a mis reading.  So i dont know what to do, i feel like somethings wrong, it just shouldnt be getting that hot, that quick.  My computer is lacking when it comes to cooling, but i didnt think it could make it this bad..  i guess ill list my build so you know what im working with.   -intel 15 4690k, 8gb of corsair vengance ram, asrock h97m motherboard, evga gtx 960 ssc, evga 430w psu, etc.  stock cooling completely

any thoughts? thanks guys 

1. Is your CPU cooler on all the way?

2. Are you using thermal paste?

3. Have you ever removed the cooler then put it back on without replacing the thermal paste?

4. is the CPU cooler plugged into the CPU fan header on your mobo?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Reapply some thermal paste may help but seriously pickup an aftermarket CPU cooler if you're attempting to OC. Unless ofc you like housefires.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Only use Blend in Prime95.

Small FFT's and Large FFT's will bring you to 100c+ with Haswell chips.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

hey guys i need some help.  as the title says my cpu is hitting 100* Celsius, and its how quick it hits that worries me.  I was going to overclock my cpu today, so i decided to do some benchmarks, and stress tests to get a baseline.  Once i start up prime95 my cpu temps skyrocket so quick, literally they hit 100*c within 5 seconds.  Ive used multiple temp reading programs to make sure i wasnt getting a mis reading.  So i dont know what to do, i feel like somethings wrong, it just shouldnt be getting that hot, that quick.  My computer is lacking when it comes to cooling, but i didnt think it could make it this bad..  i guess ill list my build so you know what im working with.   -intel 15 4690k, 8gb of corsair vengance ram, asrock h97m motherboard, evga gtx 960 ssc, evga 430w psu, etc.  stock cooling completely

Is it overclocked at all? Even my 4790K is fine with the stock cooler at 3.5GHz.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1) dont use prime95, use intel XTU

2) is your cooler's fan running?

3) buy a better cooler or turn down the voltage

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You're using a H series motherboard, you probably won't be able to overclock the CPU very far without an unlocked multiplier. If you are serious about overclocking, invest in a Z series motherboard and a decent cooler. 

For your issue at hand, check to see if your cooler is mounted properly, and check to see if the thermal paste is applied correctly. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200Mhz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D HDD/SSD: (Boot) Intel 750 Series 400GB, (Games) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (Data) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro L w/ Cherry MX Blues Mouse: Logitech G900 Monitor: Acer X34 Predator @ 100hz

Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S8+

yes cooler is mounted fine, has never been taken off sense installation and it had the pre applied thermal paste.  im not too serious about overclocking, it was my first time dinking with it.  once i do a case swap in the next month or so, im also going to throw a liquid cooler in it, then ill probably try to OC it a good amount

just used blend in prime95 instead.  helped a little, highest it got was 86, which i still obviously dont like. but its not as bad as 100.  also on realtemp its showing thermal status of each core, 2 of them say "ok" and other 2 say "LOG" in bold red.  any idea what this means?

Stop using Prime. No reason to with Haswell when you can use something like Intel XTU (has built in OC features so you don't need to bounce to BIOS to test adjustments)

What is your voltage at? If you're using auto voltage and Prime that is the source of your problems.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Stop using Prime. No reason to with Haswell when you can use something like Intel XTU (has built in OC features so you don't need to bounce to BIOS to test adjustments)

What is your voltage at? If you're using auto voltage and Prime that is the source of your problems.

Prime95 is still a viable program to use for stress testing. The only problems some chips have with it is when running small/large FFT's, and the temperature skyrockets for some reason. But blend works just fine.

And fyi, Aida64 > XTU for stress testing.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Prime95 is still a viable program to use for stress testing. The only problems some chips have with it is when running small/large FFT's, and the temperature skyrockets for some reason. But blend works just fine.

And fyi, Aida64 > XTU for stress testing.

I never said it wasn't a viable program for testing. In this particular case, where there was no mention of voltage (probably left on auto), OP might as well be rolling dice as to when the voltage will spike. There are far better options for stress testing that pose little to no risk.

AIDA64 certainly has better monitoring software baked in, as far as the actual computational load placed on the CPU vs. XTU I have no idea which is more rigorous. Both will cap my OC out around 81C after a few hours, and both will crash an unstable system. XTU can be more useful to someone who's just starting an OC test because they can change settings on the fly, which you can't do in AIDA. AIDA's free trial also runs out in a week, XTU is free.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

You may be able to improve temperatures a bit if you can lower your ambient temperatures and improve airflow with better-positioned and/or more case fans, but overclocking and stress testing with Prime95 on stock cooling cannot be expected to work very well. Some people can squeeze a few hundred MHz out of a stock-cooled Core i5, but you can't really be surprised when it doesn't work out.

I never said it wasn't a viable program for testing. In this particular case, where there was no mention of voltage (probably left on auto), OP might as well be rolling dice as to when the voltage will spike. There are far better options for stress testing that pose little to no risk.

AIDA64 certainly has better monitoring software baked in, as far as the actual computational load placed on the CPU vs. XTU I have no idea which is more rigorous. Both will cap my OC out around 81C after a few hours, and both will crash an unstable system. XTU can be more useful to someone who's just starting an OC test because they can change settings on the fly, which you can't do in AIDA. AIDA's free trial also runs out in a week, XTU is free.

>implying i'll be using the free version

I have Aida64: Jack Sparrow Edition. And for testing stability/temps, Prime95 works fine. As long as you use Blend. The only time people run into issues with it, is as i stated before. Small/Large FFT's cause the temperature to skyrocket. It's the chip which is the problem. Since it only became apparent with Haswell.

>implying i'll be using the free version

I have Aida64: Jack Sparrow Edition

A man after my own heart.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313