No POST, No Beep, NO CHRISTMAS, HELP !

NEWS / UPDATE !

Okay so I went to the chinese store this morning, the guy had a motherboard speaker available (I didn't at home) and the beep code told us the motherboard itself was faulty. I'm returning it, a buying a new one you guys got any suggestions ? You can base yourself on the build show in the 1st post.

I'm personally biased pro-Asus (and Asrock #noATAPasswordBiosOptionForMy840ProSSDOnAsusBoards) so if I were you, I would really just save an extra $30 and get something like this...basically for upgradability -- 64GB of ddr4 ram optional, m.2 2280 drive #samsung950Pro #DOIT and apparantly better vcore options over similar Asrock boards according to some of the reviews. #6700k

Btw, just out of curiousity, what was the code sequence?

Asus and I think Abit had a BIOS based utility for playing audio CDs at one point as well. It worked through the on board audio. Keep in mind most of these are from the Socket 754/939 era, they were throwing a lot of strange feature packages onto boards.

It was also very common for the speaker to be mounted directly to the board at that time or provided with the board. Now you're lucky if you get a hard copy manual.

Hm, no wonder what that "Optical drive audio connector (4-pin CD)" header was for on my '09 Asus P6T Deluxe.

Having an on-board speaker is a must!

You know, I started back in '06 with an LGA775 E6600 system #x1950xtxATIForLyfe and didn't even know these were a "thing" until much later. Even back then Antec and Asus didn't provide one. But then CoolerMaster came to me in '09 and was cool about it.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Btw, just out of curiousity, what was the code sequence?

I think it was 3 beeps,  or 4 ? The guy was pretty positive it was the board anyway.

Can you think of a similar board but with a debug LED or at least something to let me know what's wrong this time around ?  :D

Hm, no wonder what that "Optical drive audio connector (4-pin CD)" header was for on my '09 Asus P6T Deluxe was for.

Actually that header has been common since CD drives arrived on the scene. For a very long time it was the only way to pull audio from the drive. One of the many reasons add-in sound cards were essential until the arrival of Windows XP SP3 and Vista.

Vista (and DVD drives) pretty much made those cables (and most sound cards) obsolete thanks to its completely restructured DirectX setup. No more analog audio signals.

Also on-board audio had started becoming much more robust and less prone to static, you can thank nVidia's nForce chipsets for that.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I think it was 3 beeps,  or 4 ? The guy was pretty positive it was the board anyway.

Can you think of a similar board but with a debug LED or at least something to let me know what's wrong this time around ?  :D

Personally, I would be hesitant to trust 3rd party tech support. A lot of the time, they are like shady car mechanic shops, trying to charge you for extra services because you don't know any better. Now obviously not all are like this but I would be interested in seeing the Google Plus ratings on your Chinese PC repair shop...lol.

Now, if it was 3 beeps, that means a ram issue, according to Asrock's FAQ (which trumps the previously mentioned "computer hope general internet website" guide). Btw, the manual for your board should trump the FAQ, but I checked and it didn't have a table for beep codes. Now you mentioned you had 1 stick of 8GB Corsair vengeance 2400Mhz. There's only 2 Corsair listings on the QVL of ram for that board: one is for an 8GB 2133MHz model and the other is a 4GB 2133MHz model. So you already likely have incompatible ram, even if your board is dead or alive. Your choice on what you want to do next, return the ram for a compatible model and hope the board is alive, or opt for a new board (and related compatible ram.)

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

You are very right, but I tried launching it without any RAM stick in it and it still didn't post.

So it's probably 4 beeps, I can't quite remember for sure but I'd say it was 4 beeps rather than 3.

You are very right, but I tried launching it without any RAM stick in it and it still didn't post.

So it's probably 4 beeps, I can't quite remember for sure but I'd say it was 4 beeps rather than 3.

Boards aren't going to post without ram. I had a buddy build a system where he couldn't figure out why the system wasn't posting, turns out he didn't push the ram down enough in the slots. :rolleyes:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Boards aren't going to post without ram. I had a buddy build a system where he couldn't figure out why he system wasn't posting, turns out he didn't push the ram down enough in the slots. :rolleyes:

Exactly this. And a dead RAM stick is far more likely than a dead mobo.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Did you try to put the video in the iGPU (Integrated GPU)

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Hmm, you might try reseating the RAM multiple times. I remember when I got my ASUS board, I thought it was DOA, but after reading online, people were saying to reseat the RAM. I didn't believe it at first, but after three tries, it worked.

As stated above, you need at least one stick of RAM otherwise the PC won't even post at all.

Otherwise, RMA the board or RAM.

Hmm, you might try reseating the RAM multiple times. I remember when I got my ASUS board, I thought it was DOA, but after reading online, people were saying to reseat the RAM. I didn't believe it at first, but after three tries, it worked.

As stated above, you need at least one stick of RAM otherwise the PC won't even post at all.

Otherwise, RMA the board or RAM.

Don't know about you but I wouldn't be using non-QVL ram, especially on a "cheaper" board. You might get away with it after a bios update, but honestly, just return the ram and use a model that's on the list. It will save you the headaches later.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Don't know about you but I wouldn't be using non-QVL ram, especially on a "cheaper" board. You might get away with it after a bios update, but honestly, just return the ram and use a model that's on the list. It will save you the headaches later.

Err, I'm guessing that you meant to tag the OP and not me.

Err, I'm guessing that you meant to tag the OP and not me.

I was going to say that what you suggested is not even worth the effort to OP since it was determined that he's likely using non-QVL ram anyway.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

I was going to say that what you suggested is not even worth the effort to OP since it was determined that he's likely using non-QVL ram anyway.

QVL isn't the be all end all though. It's just what was tested at the time. Back in the original Athlon days the QVL was important and had to be adhered to. Now? Meh not so much. RAM is RAM and if it doesn't run at its rated speed knock it down a peg and it'll usually work fine.

The memory controller is on the CPU, not the board.

QVL isn't the be all end all though. It's just what was tested at the time. Back in the original Athlon days the QVL was important and had to be adhered to. Now? Meh not so much. RAM is RAM and if it doesn't run at its rated speed knock it down a peg and it'll usually work fine.

If only that were true.

I've ventured to ram that wasn't on the QVL 3 times. All 3 times I was burned.

Different ram and different motherboards. Only thing that was similar was the motherboard's were all Asus. From 775, 1155 then 1150.

Yes you can try other ram and it could work. However with the amount of headaches it causes, money it costs to send back, time wasted, missed deadlines it's just not worth the risk especially when a kit from the QVL will work just as well as one that isn't on it. It's an unnecessary risk.

It's not a race to the bottom.

If only that were true.

I've ventured to ram that wasn't on the QVL 3 times. All 3 times I was burned.

Different ram and different motherboards. Only thing that was similar was the motherboard's were all Asus. From 775, 1155 then 1150.

Yes you can try other ram and it could work. However with the amount of headaches it causes, money it costs to send back, time wasted, missed deadlines it's just not worth the risk especially when a kit from the QVL will work just as well as one that isn't on it. It's an unnecessary risk.

Strange. Same brand or different each time?

Seriously though in the last five or six years and dozen or so systems I've put together I don't think I've looked at the QVL even once.

The last time I had a RAM issue was gen 1 DDR3 from Avexir and it was on the QVL. Kept causing my 790i to cook itself.

Recently I resurrected that board and used newer 1.5v DDR3 that didn't even exist at the time the board was made, works better than ever.

That was the last time I ever used a QVL list, maybe I've just had good luck though.

Strange. Same brand or different each time?

Seriously though in the last five or six years and dozen or so systems I've put together I don't think I've looked at the QVL even once.

The last time I had a RAM issue was gen 1 DDR3 from Avexir and it was on the QVL. Kept causing my 790i to cook itself.

Recently I resurrected that board and used newer 1.5v DDR3 that didn't even exist at the time the board was made, works better than ever.

That was the last time I ever used a QVL list, maybe I've just had good luck though.

The first board was also a 790i chipset. It refused Ocz, G.Skill, Corsair and Kingston. Eventually a different Corsair kit worked which was on the QVL.

1155 refused Corsair, Ballistic, Fury and finally accepted Corsair.

1151 refused G.skill, Kingston (Had both of the rams in a box from the 755 board) and finally accepted Corsair.

775 accepted 1600Mhz corsair however would not go over 1333Mhz or it would BSOD even if it was by 1Mhz. This was also on a premium overclocking board. Asus Striker II extreme.

1150 accepted 1866Mhz without a fuss however will not allow any memory overclocking at all.

1151 accepted 2133Mhz without a fuss. I haven't done any overclocking with it at all yet as it's my wife's and she would scream if she got a BSOD while playing Fall out 4.

Boards aren't going to post without ram. I had a buddy build a system where he couldn't figure out why the system wasn't posting, turns out he didn't push the ram down enough in the slots. :rolleyes:

But I tried all slots for my memory and it's sitting down firmly in place ! And I'm pretty sure it's compatible ! :(

What's all that non-QVL stuff ?

But I tried all slots for my memory and it's sitting down firmly in place ! And I'm pretty sure it's compatible ! :(

Dead motherboard eh? damn! Get something more higher end, saving money on a motherboard is a false economy.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

QVL is the Qualified Vendor List. Basically just a list of RAM modules that were tested and confirmed to be compatible at the time of release. It's a guideline, that's about it.

NEWS/UPDATE

Shipped the motherboard back !

Can each of you guys (exept for Counter Strike Player who already did) make a suggestion for a similar MoBo that you think is good (hopefully with LED error code indicator this time around :D )

Thanks for your help !

NEWS/UPDATE

Shipped the motherboard back !

Can each of you guys (exept for Counter Strike Player who already did) make a suggestion for a similar MoBo that you think is good (hopefully with LED error code indicator this time around :D )

Thanks for your help !

I have no idea what motherboard to get, I'm not on SkyLake (yet). However my advice is simple, figure out what you need (3 PCI-e slots, 2 M.2 slots, 8 sata slots and so on) and see what motherboards have what you want. Then line them up and decide if the premium cost of the higher one is worth it. I personally would only go with Asus or EVGA. Getting cheap components doesn't always pay off.

About the Debug LED, that shouldn't be a big factor. You can buy motherboard speakers for pence / cents. I got a bag of 10 for £1. They work just as well and I personally love that loud "beep" when I turn my computer on.

Wait I just realized my memory was 2400 Mhz, could it have been too much for my Motherboard preventing it to post ?  :o  

Wait I just realized my memory was 2400 Mhz, could it have been too much for my Motherboard preventing it to post ?  :o  

Doubtful.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd