Review of PG279Q - Accounting for reliability of 278?

I'm curious whether LMG accounts for the reliability of previous versions of a product in their reviews of new ones?  I think you should.

I was surprised to see the very positive review of the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q after everything I read about - and experienced with - the 278.

I'm on my third 278.  I didn't send two back over a dead pixel - I sent them back when the monitor became completely unusable with heavy flickering/flashing of the display.  This particularly affected strongly contrasted areas like white text on black backgrounds.  Both monitors died the same way, each a few months after arrival.  (Nothing about my setup or environment is weird - e.g. it's not hot here, normal hardware, in fact I'm using both an ASUS motherboard and graphics card.)

I give ASUS full credit for standing behind their product - they sent replacements twice.  And somebody is always going to have really bad luck with a product - maybe this time that was just me.  But what I read online indicates this is a very common problem for people with the 278. The second support tech I spoke with at ASUS seemed familiar with the issue, but didn't provide an explanation.  At PAX Prime I spoke with someone knowledgeable about the monitors in the ASUS ROG area who said these failures were common - the NVIDIA GSYNC modules were overheating. 

I know you don't know me from Adam, and can't react based on my experiences alone, but I do hope LMG is listening to their viewers and taking manufacturers to task over product quality.  A product review can, and should, take the reliability of the product's predecessor into account.

I would have liked to have seen some mention of these issues - and ASUS's response - in the 279 review.  As a buyer - one whose purchase was influenced by LMG reviews - I want to know about issues like this.  Both manufacturer support - and product reliability - really matter.

Thanks,

P.S.  I hope this is correctly placed here under Displays - if it would be better under reviews, please feel free to move it.  Apologies for any inconvenience.

did you consider that maybe your wall power is causing issues over time with the  monitor?

computer PSUs have circuitry to clear out all the crap, but monitors dont

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sadly they dont have to deal with customer support like us and can just ring the companies up and have another one waiting for them the next morning. This means that needing replacements and shipping and all that is a lot less of a hassle for them. This means that they don't weigh it as heavily in their reviews and generally gloss over it. Not to mention they only spend so long with a product.

did you consider that maybe your wall power is causing issues over time with the  monitor?

computer PSUs have circuitry to clear out all the crap, but monitors dont

Dont monitors have their own PSUs..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

They aren't nearly as good as pc psus - imagine having 100$ power supplies to run a monitor that cost 200... (sure, this one is much more expensive but the practices are inherited by the other monitors).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

yeah but they aren't made to clean power to a corrected sine wave with spike dampening and all that stuff

their power supplies are much more simple

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah but they aren't made to clean power to a corrected sine wave with spike dampening and all that stuff

their power supplies are much more simple

They aren't nearly as good as pc psus - imagine having 100$ power supplies to run a monitor that cost 200... (sure, this one is much more expensive but the practices are inherited by the other monitors).

Fair enough, though I have seen some insanely good monitor power supplies..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Companies always send golden samples to places like LTT and all the review sites. They always get better overclocking, perfectly calibrated examples of products, its not just some random one picked off the queue example its always the best they could find. Most reviewers now run from free samples with LTT being a common offender of this and as a result open themselves up to company abuse of the system.

Thanks for the replies and consideration.  I didn't want to go into too much detail in the first post, but I do, in fact, run everything - including the monitor - off of an APC UPS.  I agree that power issues can cause problems for unprotected components.

I suppose reliability concerns would be hard for LMG to investigate, but for those cases where a particular issue with a product seems widespread, it might be worth taking into account in the review of later products in the series.

Thank you for posting this.  I have been seriously considering the PG279Q over the last couple weeks and seeing all the QC issues is very troubling!  I strongly agree that reliability needs to be on the list of review items for LMG.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build