Speed up windows performance

Ahsan

If you want to optimize your computer's performance watch this video

-

GG

Processor- AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz. Motherboard- MSI Socket FM2 FM2-A75MA-E35. GPU- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB GDDR5. RAM-  4GB Corsair Vengeance. Storage- 750GB Seagate Barracuda HDD. PSU- Corsair CX500. Case- Rosewill Line-M MiniATX.

Dell Inspiron N5110 intel i5

That is actually a video with some useful tips. But, better yet, one should write that on "paper" for "on fly" configuration.

"[...]McAffee antivirus"

vT5HKxv.jpg

If a dude would sell me a PC with preinstalled McAffee i would call "Jihad" on him even thought i dont believe.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

1 amazing tip to speed up Windows performance: Get an SSD. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

"[...]McAffee antivirus"

35951020.jpg

If a dude would sell me a PC with preinstalled McAffee i would call "Jihad" on him even thought i dont believe.

Same here.

1 amazing tip to speed up Windows performance: Get an SSD. 

I really do not care about OS boot times, i care about in-game and in-app performance. That's mostly CPU, RAM, GPU based and not storage.

I'd rather get 2x 2TB in AID0 than a 256GB SSD, and 128GB just wont cut it for a good performance. Did you know SSDs slow down as they are being filled? Free space is used for caching - around 50% of ssd is supposed to be empty or you start losing performance (i'm sure it doesnt matter with some models though).

Now... SSDs lives shortly compared to HDD. The more you use SSD the higher chance you will kill it (or it kills itself lmao) - that's why you shouldnt use SSD daily for lots of saving operations. Loading is fine.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Same here.

I really do not care about OS boot times, i care about in-game and in-app performance. That's mostly CPU, RAM, GPU based and not storage.

I'd rather get 2x 2TB in AID0 than a 256GB SSD, and 128GB just wont cut it for a good performance. Did you know SSDs slow down as they are being filled? Free space is used for caching - around 50% of ssd is supposed to be empty or you start losing performance (i'm sure it doesnt matter with some models though).

Now... SSDs lives shortly compared to HDD. The more you use SSD the higher chance you will kill it (or it kills itself lmao) - that's why you shouldnt use SSD daily for lots of saving operations. Loading is fine.

SSD's are good as long as taken care of. SSD should be used as OS drive with some programs and data/games in HDD. Having game on SSD wont make level load up i dunno how much faster.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

SSD's don't only improve boot time. They make the whole Windows experience more responsive and snappier. A full SSD will be faster than the fastest HDD. They can also improve game loading times if you transfer the game you play the most, for example; if you're playing a lot of BF3, you can put it on the SSD and get instantaneous boot times, when you start playing another game more, move it to the HDD and put the new game on the SSD. As for the SSD killing itself, that's what a warranty is for. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

SSD's don't only improve boot time. They make the whole Windows experience more responsive and snappier. A full SSD will be faster than the fastest HDD. They can also improve game loading times if you transfer the game you play the most, for example; if you're playing a lot of BF3, you can put it on the SSD and get instantaneous boot times, when you start playing another game more, move it to the HDD and put the new game on the SSD. As for the SSD killing itself, that's what a warranty is for. 

Sorry but I will stick to HDD and maybe RAID0 with 2 HDDs.

SSD is crappy because it's FAR to expensive for what it offers. Terrible price for just boot times and app launching. I will get SSD when they get cheaper per GB of data. Currently they are useless for me.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

SSD is crappy because it's FAR to expensive for what it offers. Terrible price for just boot times and app launching. I will get SSD when they get cheaper per GB of data. Currently they are useless for me.

Also faster load times for games, and they look cooler and save space in your rig, I like ssd's but I don't yet have one because it will probably be the thing to get after some led strips for my rig, sounds like they would make a hell of a difference though.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I do the samething as this already, but for cleaning out the computer and having an anti-virus I use different programs (apart from Malwarebtyes).

Some useful stuff.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I was surprised he didn't use CCleaner, I thought everyone and their grandma used that.

FX 8150 @ 4.0 GHz, MSI Radeon 7850 OC Edition, 2 x 4 gigs of GSkill Sniper ddr3 at 2133 MHz, two 120 gig Kingston HyperX 3K ssds, Crosshair V Formula, Antec High Current Gamer 620 watt psu, all wrapped up inside a Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker.

You sir should stop shooting yourself in the foot and get an SSD. If you are not satisfied, I'll buy you a beer.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Skip number 9, you want to know when things are changing otherwise you'll be sitting at your computer asking, when did I change/add that? Foresee doom for those that do.

Number 18, setting a solid color I do for any computer I remotely log into so no bandwidth is spent on needless image transfers and redraws, use specific colors for certain systems for easy identification.

His written version is not exactly what he says in the video :huh:  overall not bad, except 2 through 5, don't go to rouge sites and you'll be fine (with NoScript, AdBlock+, Ghostery, Collusion, WOT add-on's in Firefox).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I've heard about some website where you can download more ram or something to speed up your PC.

Hold on I'll look for it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

You sir should stop shooting yourself in the foot and get an SSD. If you are not satisfied, I'll buy you a beer.

Yep. I could not return to using a SLOW HDD for my main boot drive ever again. I'm too spoiled on my machine actually being responsive.

panduh 3happeh

The samsung SSD 840 lasted for 760 Tib that can be translated to 10Gib per day and that equals to 214 years. You can say that doesnt prove anything but an less you want a hard drive to last 20 years I dont know why the SSD's arent a option for you.

Test: http://tinyurl.com/k46zqhl

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Same here.

SSDs can go through many many write cycles. In fact, my SSD has gone through almost 5TB of NAND writes. It's unlikely, but not impossible for an SSD to fail. In fact, SSDs are much more likely to survive something like a fall because of being non-mechanical. Also, free space isn't really always it. It's sometimes free space with invalid data. As data is "erased" from an SSD, the controller continues to monitor the data because it's not actually physically being removed. As more and more data is stored in "free space," the controller becomes more stressed out slowly limited data throughput. This is where Trim comes in. SSDs will last for many many many years before dying. By the time it likely fails, you'll be using another drive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

SSDs can go through many many write cycles. In fact, my SSD has gone through almost 5TB of NAND writes. It's unlikely, but not impossible for an SSD to fail. In fact, SSDs are much more likely to survive something like a fall because of being non-mechanical. Also, free space isn't really always it. It's sometimes free space with invalid data. As data is "erased" from an SSD, the controller continues to monitor the data because it's not actually physically being removed. As more and more data is stored in "free space," the controller becomes more stressed out slowly limited data throughput. This is where Trim comes in. SSDs will last for many many many years before dying. By the time it likely fails, you'll be using another drive.

I used to have a 750GB Seagate Barracuda for my mass storage drive. One day while cleaning out my case, I left the SSD and HDD sitting on a one of those plastic containers you use to store clothes it -- it was propped up top. Out of nowhere, a pair of wasps were in my room and I kinda freaked out a bit because I didn't want my cat getting stung. After getting a shoe to hunt them down, I accidentally bumped that container  and the HDD suffered a small drop. Yep, I got those wasps, but the HDD was dead. Now when this HDD is connected to my PC, it locks and won't even let me boot into Windows off my SSD.

In retrospect, I can chuck my SSD around and it's perfectly fine. For something that some people dismiss as fragile, it sure proved to be a hell of a lot more robust than a standard hard drive. SSD or HDD, you're not going to use as a boot drive 20 years down the line, you're going to have something even better at that point.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I cannot see the video on the first post of this topic...

Hi there, I cannot see the video on the first post of this topic...

If you're on chrome, press the little shield icon on the top right corner, and then press load unsafe script. Then it should show the video.

19. is misunderstood. If you have a multi core processor, it will automatically use more than one core on boot. Enabling the option under msconfig is only setting a upper limit to how many cores are allowed to be used and will result in no performance benefit. 

If you're on chrome, press the little shield icon on the top right corner, and then press load unsafe script. Then it should show the video.

Thanks it worked ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I very much agree with this. I currently have 2 1GB HDDs in raid0 and a 2GB one for storage and I see no need to get an SSD. It takes me like 20 seconds between pressing the power button and the windows being fully loaded, so I don't even have time to sit down before it's finished. I can't even remember the last time I had to wait for it to load.

Also, on the vast majority of the games I play/programs I use either I still have to wait for other to finish loading or the shorter loading time will make no difference anyway.

So, for something that would cost me about 10% of my entire computer it really doesn't do much. At most it'd save me like 10 seconds per day.