Just built my first server - "Share-A-Labeouf"

Jacktastic-Mofo

So today in school I finished building my first file server for my IT and Game Design class, with a crowd sourced name- "Share-A-Labeouf"

Here are the specs-

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 @2.7Ghz (1 core / 2 threads)

MBO: Some Dell one

RAM: 2x2GB's 533Mhz Crucial DDR2

HDD: 40GB Seagate 5400RPM HDD

HDD: 320GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD
GPU: ATI 4400 Series GPU
NIC: Some Dell one (Up To 100Mb/s)

PSU: Some Dell one

CSE: Some Dell one

Here's the performance-

So this file server definitely doesn't have any beastly specs however, the read and write speeds are pretty good. It takes about a minute to transfer a 1GB file to the server and about 45 second to move it from the server to any of the 30 desktops PC's in the room (they all have i7-3770's, 8GB's of DDR3, and a Radeon HD 7750's). The CPU while transferring two 1GB files at once doesn't use more than 30% of the CPU and the RAM usage never goes above 1GB- pretty dope.

For a PC that literally cost the school nothing to build, and the components that make it up were going to be recycled I feel pretty good about it, it's a much better solution than using Google Drive, which is a bad option because file size limitations, and our schools internet isn't always working so that solves a few of our problems. This server will be moved to the back of the room and ran headless, where I will connect to it over the network to perform system tasks.

Here's a picture-

post-168944-0-51933500-1448049796_thumb.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Not bad. I'm going to be building my first home server soon with a old Athlon 64 X2 4400+ I have sitting around.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Not bad. I'm going to be building my first home server soon with a old Athlon 64 X2 4400+ I have sitting around.

Windows 10 runs flawlessly on a 1 core 2 thread CPU, I'm super impressed.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Well its better than my current rig lol.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

What's your current rig? lol.

A potato... (Its very similar to this one, made from scrap components I found, slightly lower spec however.)

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Keep in mind the motherboard on that optiplex uses shitty caps. I used to have like 15 of those things, two of them worked when I got ahold of them a couple years ago

Trust me, I know. Some people came to collect the schools old PC's for recycling (there were about 400 old PC's) and from the 50 or so that we given to my class to take apart and remove what we wanted we ended up with like 10 working boards.

A potato... (Its very similar to this one, made from scrap components I found, slightly lower spec however.)

I'm surprised that's even possible xD

Trust me, I know. Some people came to collect the schools old PC's for recycling (there were about 400 old PC's) and from the 50 or so that we given to my class to take apart and remove what we wanted we ended up with like 10 working boards.

How much would you sell me the cooling fans from the remaining ones? Assuming they use the blower fan

How much would you sell me the cooling fans from the remaining ones? Assuming they use the blower fan

If you can pay shipping I'll just send you a few of them.

EDIT: Cause you're a cool dude and very helpful on these forums.

If you can pay shipping I'll just send you a few of them.

EDIT: Cause you're a cool dude and very helpful on these forums.

Free computer parts? Ile take some ram if you got ddr2! xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Windows 10 runs flawlessly on a 1 core 2 thread CPU, I'm super impressed.

I won't be paying for Win10 to use on a home server. I'm planning on using FreeNAS.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

What model OptiPlex are you needing blower fans for? I have a couple sitting around and might be able to send them to you.

END OF LINE

I just want blower fans for... things

You need something to blow you?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well if you still need some after the other guys give you theirs, I have two blower fans I salvaged. Not gonna give them for free, cuz shipping, and laziness, but eh.

edit: I can assure you they do a very good job of blowing...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Put... put your dick in it.....

Lol!

Well, I was going to be doing inventory of all my old PC parts this weekend and figuring out what I want to keep and what can go, so I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure that the OptiPlex boards I have are getting tossed so you can probably have them.

END OF LINE

Put... put your dick in it.....

Lol!

Well, I was going to be doing inventory of all my old PC parts this weekend and figuring out what I want to keep and what can go, so I'll let you know. I'm pretty sure that the OptiPlex boards I have are getting tossed so you can probably have them.

Dick in the fan? How could you cheat on the toaster!!! D:

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

-snip-

Why didnt you use FreeNAS or UnRAID? Win 10 Home is not a server OS. 

Why didnt you use FreeNAS or UnRAID? Win 10 Home is not a server OS. 

I didn't use FreeNAS because it requires 8GB's of RAM and the 32bit CPU I was running supports a maximum of 4GB's of RAM, and I'm unsure of the requirements of UnRaid.

Also Windows 10 Home works pretty well for my needs, it's literally just a file server and is not going to be used for anything other than that. I believe I even stated that in the original post.

I have a couple I could send to you if you want them and are willing to pay for shipping. One was a CPU mounted turbine blower fan for exhaust and the bigger one is a case mounted and blew down onto the fanless CPU heatsink.

post-63986-0-51031500-1448154219_thumb.j

END OF LINE