Syrian refugees

iamdarkyoshi
Please keep discussion civil, or else...
1029547-thread_locked.gif
Mods, if the thread must be locked for whatever reason, please do not remove it. My teacher is interested in the discussion here.

So I admit that I have not been paying a HUGE amount of attention to the news. I usually never do, but I am aware of the attack lately. The Syrian refugees seem to be a heavily debated topic. I have an extra credit opportunity in my government class that goes like this:

Extra Credit Writing Assignment

- Question: In the aftermath of the Paris terrorist attacks, should the United States take in Syrian refugees?  If so, should individual states be able to refuse these refugees?

Extra Credit Grading Checklist
    1) Introduces clear claim that establishes a position on the issue
    2) Three pieces of supporting evidence from the sources above (properly cited)
    3) Uses reasoning to link each piece of evidence to claim (elaborates and explains)
    4) Provides a concluding statement that supports the argument in NEW language
    5) Uses words and phrases to create a logical flow that clarify's relationships amongst claims, reasoning and evidence
    6) Establishes and maintains a formal style (no informal "I" statements)
    7) Typed with 1" margins and using calibri or ariel 11 point font

First, I would like to state that I am NOT asking the forums to do my work for me. Somebody was bound to ask what the criteria for the assignment was, so there it is.

What are your opinions on the topic based on the information on the sites she provided? About the assignment in general?

My opinion on the subject is one of paranoia, aka if you can't screen the refugees  properly (so no terrorist slip in with the refugees) hold off on taking them, but if you can I don't see a problem.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Both my Grandparents and Great Grandparents came to Canada to escape poverty and starvation in a war torn nations.  They were Dutch and the Nazi's did a number after five years of Nazi occupation.  Europe was devastated by the war.  When the Allies began to liberate The Netherlands the Germans broke the dykes that had reclaimed much of the farmland from the seas, the goal was to flood the nation as a defensive tactic.  Famine lasted through out the war and well into the years later.  I'm only a third Generation Canadian, my father was only a second generation Canadian, but no one will ever tell us to 'Go back to our own country' for one reason: Because my family of immigrants, who came here for a better life, were white and Christian.

That's what I think is wrong with anyone calling for the rejection of refugees.

My opinion on the subject is one of paranoia, aka if you can't screen the refugees  properly (so no terrorist slip in with the refugees) hold off on taking them, but if you can I don't see a problem.

Thank you for having a post that actually contributed to the discussion.

My personal opinion on it (Not being racist, I'm just using obvious facts from recent events)

I think that all the states should be able to chose if they accept them or not, in fact, I think that all the states should be pushed to reject them, yes, this might seem cruel, but who knows, ISIS might try sending their followers with the refugees to get them into america, and that'd end up causing even more problems, more deaths, more terrorism in the USA, as a country, we should be focused on keeping the citizens of the country safe, and then prioritize other nations after that.

Am I saying that all the refugees are with ISIS? No, not at all, it's possible that none of them are, but it's also possible that some of them are, and they're going to use it to attack us from the inside.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

My personal opinion on it (Not being racist, I'm just using obvious facts from recent events)

I think that all the states should be able to chose if they accept them or not, in fact, I think that all the states should be pushed to reject them, yes, this might seem cruel, but who knows, ISIS might try sending their followers with the refugees to get them into america, and that'd end up causing even more problems, more deaths, more terrorism in the USA, as a country, we should be focused on keeping the citizens of the country safe, and then prioritize other nations after that.

Am I saying that all the refugees are with ISIS? No, not at all, it's possible that none of them are, but it's also possible that some of them are, and they're going to use it to attack us from the inside.

My state Denied the refugees, and many other states followed after what My state did (AL)

Though personally Idc if we do or not

FYI, I did not look at your links.

Some refugees will make it out alive and live long full productive lives, some won't.  Whether or not the USA helps is a reflection of the state of the country.  The USA is great a causing a shit storm in the global theater of war, not so good at much else. 

Accepting refugees is something good the USA could do.  A good percentage of the US population is beyond reprehensible in regards to how they treat others different then them.  Maybe not accepting them could be better in some ways as better countries can take on the load.

Just my two cents.

My state Denied the refugees, and many other states followed after what My state did (AL)

Though personally Idc if we do or not

States whose governors oppose Syrian refugees coming in:

-- Alabama

-- Arizona

-- Arkansas

-- Florida

-- Georgia

-- Idaho

-- Illinois

-- Indiana

-- Iowa

-- Kansas

-- Louisiana

-- Maine

-- Maryland

-- Massachusetts

-- Michigan

-- Mississippi

-- Nebraska

-- Nevada

-- New Hampshire

-- New Jersey

-- New Mexico

-- North Carolina

-- North Dakota

-- Ohio

-- Oklahoma

-- South Carolina

-- South Dakota

-- Tennessee

-- Texas

-- Wisconsin

-- Wyoming

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/16/world/paris-attacks-syrian-refugees-backlash/index.html

Mine is refusing them as well, and I prefer it that way, I feel much safer without the possible risk of ISIS members just flowing into the state in which I live.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Let them in. If you do your work right they will have trouble getting access to weapons if they are extremists

and no states should not be allowed to choose not to

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

But the thing is that We don't know if there are Hidden ISIS members in thoes refugees, its how Paris got bombed, USA dosen't want to take that chance

Oh stop it.  White (a lot of them christian)homegrown terrorists cause more death then any muslim terrorists in your country.... year after year. 

How about the USA stop terrorizing innocent muslim countries?  ...maybe they won't come after you.

Let them in. If you do your work right they will have trouble getting access to weapons if they are extremists
and no states should not be allowed to choose not to

But the choosing goes for Any refugee in general not just syrians

Oh stop it. White (a lot of them christian)homegrown terrorists cause more death then any muslim terrorists in your country.... year after year.

How about the USA stop terrorizing innocent muslim countries? ...maybe they won't come after you.

White terrorists? You mean american soldiers?

Okay here is an example.

Imagine there are 10 refugees outside your house and your house is a country. There is a chance that one of those people are a Muslim extremist, and if they get in they will kill every one in your house. Will you let the ten refugees in?

Watch out behind you!

But the choosing goes for Any refugee in general not just syrians

of course

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I'll just drop this:

"It is the duty of public officials to secure the interests of their countrymen."

Rather than leaving things to the higher ups, I suggest a statewide vote on whether or not to accept immigrants since it will change the socio-political and socio-economic environment of the state...

Also, for those of you who think that denying entry of refugees will somehow stop would be terrorists from entering the United States, I have wonderful news; The United States will let just about any idiot into The United States for up to six months after a brief waltz through customs.  If any outside entity sought entry into the United States, they'd just dress their operatives up nice, give them an itinerary for a visit to Disneyland and they'd disappear after they were picked up at the airport.  And that's assuming they don't make use of the many illegal ways to enter the United States.  The US boarder has more holes in it than a sieve.

I would have to say I am satisfied with the discussion so far. It has been kept pretty civil and some good points have been brought up. Thanks everyone so far.

I'd love to see what would happen if New Hampshire decided to let refugees in. What would an ISIS member do here? Freeze to death? They wouldn't dream of immigrating here if they know the weather tendencies New England has as a whole. Not to mention that people from Mass would beat the hell out of anyone who tried anything funny. The Scout from TF2 is an accurate portrayal of people from Boston.

I personally think it should be up to the people of the individual states themselves to grant refugees asylum. They should have a vote in each state. Just a straight-up vote, based on raw numbers. I don't have a problem with people immigrating to this country, but like anyone wanting to live here, they need to earn their place here, and I'm not going to be as naive as to say that there definitely aren't ISIS members hiding among them. I think statistically it is very likely. But I don't know. With that in mind, I think it would be a boon to the US to take in as many refugees as wish to come here. It's not like we don't have the space.

Im asking you to elaborate, idk who white terrorists are? lol

Why did you mention soldiers then?  Are soldiers walking through your streets terrorizing US citizens?

I meant fundamentalist white americans murdering, you know, other americans.

Also, for those of you who think that denying entry of refugees will somehow stop would be terrorists from entering the United States, I have wonderful news; The United States will let just about any idiot into The United States for up to six months after a brief waltz through customs.  If any outside entity sought entry into the United States, they'd just dress their operatives up nice, give them an itinerary for a visit to Disneyland and they'd disappear after they were picked up at the airport.  And that's assuming they don't make use of the many illegal ways to enter the United States.  The US boarder has more holes in it than a sieve.

I do agree with that, although it is possible to slow down the extremists if you stop the refugees. Look back up to my example.

Watch out behind you!