Acer XR341CK 60hz ONLY - Massive Frame Dops

Love linus, but this monitor is only 60hz. Thats it.... Sure you can set it, and over clock it to say it runs at 75hz or 85hz but for nvidia users, we get to enjoy lovely frame drops for anything above 60hz. Basically the monitor will try to display 85 'images' a second, but fails and just drops some in between to basically end up with 60. So at least for me, NO smooth gameplay, no amazing 'night and day difference'

http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping (check your own)

Just browse some sites for yourself

https://goo.gl/YcAGCk

No hotpatch or update from Acer, or nvidia. Currently moving up the support line with acer.

If i have missed something feel free to let me know, but this is highly frustrating.

Windows 10

Gtx 980ti

-DP Out (cable from monitor)
-monitor has been reset
-Changed various modes on the monitor
-Tried with vsync and adaptive vsync
-disabled tripple buffering
-changed pre-rendered virtual frames and other various Nvidia options.
-Forcefully installed driver into windows from Acer
- Flipped the cable
- Tried HDMI. It is limited to 30hz at 3440-1440

An article discussing the monitor, and the current issue with Nvidia Cards.
http://www.tftcentra...cer_xr341ck.htm

Untitled2.png?tsid=20151120-010534-1364a

Does vsync help?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

is there a setting in the monitors control panel to set the monitor back to factory settings? if so, use it. test things out.

then retry your over clock.

I have tried various forms of Vsync and the issue does not seem to be resolved, i have tried adaptive, adaptive half refreshrate, and full vsync. Nothing seems to make a difference. The best solution for right now has been to set my refresh rate to 60hz and use vsync like normal. Than you don't drop frames and its what your used to with any other monitor. But i didn't buy this monitor for 60hz.

Resetting the monitor changes nothing. I have also tried turning off and on ACM, OD mode, and various other modes, also receiving no change in effect.

I have tried various forms of Vsync and the issue does not seem to be resolved, i have tried adaptive, adaptive half refreshrate, and full vsync. Nothing seems to make a difference. The best solution for right now has been to set my refresh rate to 60hz and use vsync like normal. Than you don't drop frames and its what your used to with any other monitor. But i didn't buy this monitor for 60hz.

Resetting the monitor changes nothing. I have also tried turning off and on ACM, OD mode, and various other modes, also receiving no change in effect.

what connection are you using? DP?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Currently running vga output with an adaptor to HDMI...

Can't even finish typing that without laughing.... Lols. UM ya im using display port (cable that came with the monitor)
Ill update my main post with all the details.

pull the cable and swap ends.

No change.

other than nvidia not supporting freesync................????

this hdmi, is it the new standard? did you try an HDMI cable.................. yes, I know folks.

other than nvidia not supporting freesync................????

this hdmi, is it the new standard? did you try an HDMI cable.................. yes, I know folks.

Lols not the new standard yet :) Ya i have tried and HDMI cable, but it will only support up to 30hz at 3440-1440 as the manual states.

Yes my NVIDIA card obviously does not support the FreeSync adaptive method, BUT this shouldnt matter since the monitor SAIS it runs at 75hz. Maybe its symantics, but this monitor ist sold as running at 75hz, and thus even though i have nvidia it should work fine at that refresh rate, of course it won't dynamically refresh, but i can live without that for now.

the only other thing would be to buy a better cable. believe it or not I have had great results with rosewill stuff. they're actually pretty decent quality............. unless you brick and motar shop somewhere.

the only other thing would be to buy a better cable. believe it or not I have had great results with rosewill stuff. they're actually pretty decent quality............. unless you brick and motar shop somewhere.

THe only issue with that statement is that (even thought i am unable to try this myself) amd cards on the same setup do not have this issue. Various posts share my sentiment stating that the nvidia cards have this problem, yet amd cards will scale to 75hz effortlessly not including freesync.

Mainly i want Linus to explain what setup he ran to get his 85hz and if he was using a nvidia gpu.

well then nvidia has a god dammed problem and they better get off their asses and fix it! screw this proprietary BS!

So Acer states, they have never heard of this problem. And they don't believe they can reproduce the error from their "Monitor Technician," so they have paid to ship my monitor to an acer facility where the "monitor technician" is going to identify the issue. I have a great feeling they are either going to ship me a new one with the same problem, or send me mine saying "its fine".... i really hope that does not happen.

nobody is going to admit they have problems with their goods. ASUS has different problems with there's also. It's too soon to hop on the band wagon with this 4k stuff. it's easier to keep selling stuff and seeing what you can get away with than to disrupt production and profit.

I have a great feeling they are either going to ship me a new one with the same problem, or send me mine saying "its fine"

That would indicate that your unique hardware / software configuration is causing an issue

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

That would indicate that your unique hardware / software configuration is causing an issue

This statement is true, however it is unchangeable by me, or at least i am unwilling to change a 980ti for (fill in the blank amd card). My original statement was in reference to my lack of faith in a "monitor technician" to actually send this to a higher up, and instead give me a new monitor.

Also the problem with this is that a monitor advertised at "standard 75hz" refresh rate, should NOT fail with 50% of the GPU market

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/?sort=name

And various articles have shown and stated this flaw with the monitors compatibility with Nvidia Cards.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm

Untitled2.png?tsid=20151120-010534-1364a

• 2 weeks later...

**So update**

Monitor shipped to Acer, "monitor technician" looks over the monitor, and confirms it is have been "thoroughly tested without issue."

They then proceed to state that the monitor with freesync on works perfectly, and that it is normal for the refresh rate to lower and change with fps of the gpu. They also tested it without freesync and stated that the refresh rate never changed and always said 75hz.

So clearly they do not understand the problem, nor do they own an nvidia gpu i guess?

I have since went above there heads further to a lvl 3 business support techinican, who i am currently working with. 

Right now my claim is false advertising, since this issue doesn't appear to be even on the radar with acer.