Windows 7 Update blocking pirated copies

rgon

Hi all,

So a recent event happened in my school. They are using pirated copies of Windows 7 and wednesday last week, all of them got one of the automatic updates.

So the next day, at the time they turned it on, everything went fine. The user login icons appeared, but when you clicked one, a pinwheel appeared and the screen just flashed briefly, coming back again to the login page.

Common sense tells that the user server had some problems, but the fact is that there isn't one. Everything is local to each machine.

I've got nothing to do with the computer systems, I'm just an student and let me tell you, good for them. They just used a crappy serial list. Even office was cracked using windows loader... :facepalm:

It has also happened to a friend of mine who had a pirated windows 8 copy (different network). Right at the same time. So my guess is that Microsoft has thrown that update out. I'm running a legal copy of Win10 flawlessly.

It is not a hardware problem. I've even run Ubuntu from my flash drive without any problems.

Curiosity is attacking me right now :) Has anyone had this problem??

My Ultrawide Festival Semifinalist Entry (elected by UnboxTherapy):

My Ultrawide Festival Entry for the Finals:

If you are going to hate it for no reason, stay away. but if you really do, tell me why, you will help me on improving my style.

Your SCHOOL is using pirated windows?

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

Nope. Thanks to MSDN/BizSpark everything I own runs a legal copy of Windows (even my NAS with Server 2012 R2).

Lots of them do it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hi all,

So a recent event happened in my school. They are using pirated copies of Windows 7 and wednesday last week, all of them got one of the automatic updates.

So the next day, at the time they turned it on, everything went fine. The user login icons appeared, but when you clicked one, a pinwheel appeared and the screen just flashed briefly, coming back again to the login page.

Common sense tells that the user server had some problems, but the fact is that there isn't one. Everything is local to each machine.

I've got nothing to do with the computer systems, I'm just an student and let me tell you, good for them. They just used a crappy serial list. Even office was cracked using windows loader... :facepalm:

It has also happened to a friend of mine who had a pirated windows 8 copy (different network). Right at the same time. So my guess is that Microsoft has thrown that update out. I'm running a legal copy of Win10 flawlessly.

It is not a hardware problem. I've even run Ubuntu from my flash drive without any problems.

Curiosity is attacking me right now :) Has anyone had this problem??

Is this even legal? For a school to have pirated copies of windows? Your school can get in serious trouble if caught. Correct me if im wrong.

Numbre

Well we don't promote piracy on this forum and I don't pirate things so therefore my answer is NO.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

i wonder how the district is going to act

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Is this even legal? For a school to have pirated copies of windows? Your school can get in serious trouble if caught. Correct me if im wrong.

It's illegal but microsoft already said they don't really care that much, so unless microsoft presses charges nothing will happen

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Windows doesn't restrict pirate copies of windows 

A SCHOOL pirated Windows 7?

Wow.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Chill guys, that's completely normal here... And OP that must be a really bad Install or bloatware

This is a signature.

Windows doesn't restrict pirate copies of windows 

They don't restrict it, but they offer no support for it either. Why should we?

They don't restrict it, but they offer no support for it either. Why should we?

they actually do offer support........

thier is no difference between pirated and legal windows in the eyes of microsoft,  but are treated the same.

they actually do offer support........

thier is no difference between pirated and legal windows in the eyes of microsoft,  but are treated the same.

That is the part i did not know.. lol

I always assumed that if i don't buy the piece of software that originally isn't freeware, but pirate it instead, i cannot expect help from the software developers/publishers.

Atleast that's how it is in most cases.

That is the part i did not know.. lol

I always assumed that if i don't buy the piece of software that originally isn't freeware, but pirate it instead, i cannot expect help from the software developers/publishers.

Atleast that's how it is in most cases.

well you don't expect, but microsoft doesn't really care, if windows is activated then all is good, pirated copies can still activate 

Yes, I'm not even joking... Ethics...

They should have pirated a master disc, or you know bought it as they are a school, so they could get great discounts.

Not even that. The "IT Technician" they hire just brings a USB Drive with a cracked license to install it. Sometimes the "This Windows Copy is not Original" message appeared. Even Office is pirated. Such a dumb move as a school, but, as little people know anything computer related,

They offer no support for. Why should we?

As I clearly stated in my post, I am not looking for help. I am not suffering this problem. I just wanted to see if anyone has the same problem, or if it is a known issues. I am a happy Win10 and Ubuntu user. Thanks.

So far, the "Technician" has installed Windows over all the affected machines, the only useful thing to do when system restoring is not enabled..

OP that must be a really bad Install or bloatware

The thing is, barely any software is installed on those computers.4 computers crashed at the exact same time. Plus that other Windows 8 computer I previously talked about (that Windows 8 machine). That last Win8 machine, which suffered from the exact same problem, started to work again a day later. As Windows 8 connects to the network before logging in, maybe it got an update who fixed it?

i wonder how the district is going to act

Actually, It's a private school, which, fortunately for them, is not in the district's competence. But nevertheless, Windows, when bought in bulk isn't a huge expense for a school. And I'm sure if an inspector came in and discovered that, they will be in trouble. There isn't a single legal software license in my school (if you exclude the smart board software). From Windows to AutoCAD, passing by Office.

Anyways, it's pathetic for the majority of the school's staff to be as not informed as they are. As per the education code in my country reccommends, in IT classes, linux should be "explained". Which distro you may ask? Guadalinex, a variant of Ubuntu 9.04 made by the autonomous comunnity we reside in (with an awful implementation of the GNOME desktop). A 6.5 year old distro. Of course, bugs are a thing. And obviously, who wouldn't think all the rest OSs are better? Who doesn't think linux is crap? No-one. Come on, try to use Windows XP again (do not try Vista, it's worse). It's as old.

And, obviously, the man that doesn't know you can use more than 8GB of RAM on a x64 OS tells that no-one should use AMD CPUs because if they overheat, there's no protection and they die. Gimme a break. This is not the way to teach... This is the way the yihad is taught. Of course, for him, a 2.5GHz 6 year old Core 2 Duo CPU with 1MB of cache performs better than an fx8350, because ignorance is a thing. Of course it's not better than a $1k 5960x, but as he is not going to buy one, that is not in his league.

If you are going to hate it for no reason, stay away. but if you really do, tell me why, you will help me on improving my style.

Someone's getting sued. Should really bring it up to Microsoft.

if its not in north america..or a 1st world country...ms can't do shit...and wouldn't bother either

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

if its not in north america..or a 1st world country...ms can't do shit...and wouldn't bother either

I recall my school getting in legal trouble with Adobe :P over pirated copies of CS6 software. Kind of hilarious actually. 

These stories always make me laugh and the people who run them aren't interested in doing business properly until they have no choice often

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

If your school is using pirated copies then report it to authorities, they get money for such things, they probably spend that money on anything but school stuff.

LOL that would be nice :lol:. However, that's by far too much trouble to do in Spain. They really don't do anything appart from telling ISPs to censor TPB. Appart from that, for them all the work is done. But this would be the only moment where I would report something like this, as you said. So unethical for a school to be doing it...

I recall my school getting in legal trouble with Adobe :P over pirated copies of CS6 software. Kind of hilarious actually.

Shall we compete for who has the worst IT team in their school? Let me start! They pirated Windows, Adobe Master Collection, AutoCAD and Office. WHO WANTS MOREE??? :P The winner's school gets to hire a phylosopher to teach ethics to their school managers :).