Is It Necessary? 2GB VS 4GB!

Go to solution Solved by Jupe,

ahkkk ic,is this site false? like why was the fps results from the 2gb and 4gb basically the same: O http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-radeon-r9-380-2gb-4gb-review

The performance wont change, but with more VRAM you can run more demanding graphics, which have more details. And those details are what take VRAM. With 2GB vram, you're limited to settings x. But with more VRAM, you can get the settings up even higher because your graphics card has the capacity to run it. The performance doesn't change with same settings.

Let me start over. Lets say that a gpu called "x" has three models. One with 2gb, second one with 4gb and third one with 8gb. Otherwise it's the same exact card. Now, the X with 2gb vram can run the game Z with let's say medium settings, 1080p and 144fps, if you'd take the settings to high, the fps would fall to let's say 100. Now the X with 4gb, runs the game Z medium settings, 1080p and 144fps, and when put to high, it's still in 100. BUT. the X with 4gb can take the resolution to 1440p. Of course taking some performance down, to let's again say 60fps. Now it's met it's limits, no higher resolution or graphics settings. now the X with 8gb joins the game and beat's the shit out of the other cards with it's 8gb of VRAM. Taking the graphic settings from normal, 1080p 144fps to ultra, 4k 30fps because the huge amount of VRAM allowing it to load ALOT more textures than the other cards can. The performance wont change, but the amount of textures it can load, does.

Lol i did the explaining this time even WORSE. I hope you can still understand :D

Heyy! Johhny here and uhmm very new to computer building.. so i don't know if i am missing on stuff but..

as of now i am going with the R9 380 4GB as i can't find any cheaper gpu's with near the same performance..

Soo if no one has gpus to offer towards my build - http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/wmFxwP

My question was like uhmm what does the 4gb and 2gb mean on the end? And is there much of a difference..

As i am trying to cut off a couple hundred from my build.. i looked here http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?j=3196547,3196979 and saw its$80 cheaper for the same thing just 2gb less or something? (NZD) From New Zealand btw.

Yeah so i found this link!!! and it shows the 2gb performing just aswell even better at times as the 4gb? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-radeon-r9-380-2gb-4gb-review

The GB number refers to the VRAM. Most games use more than 2GB on Ultra @1080p these days, so I'd stick with the 4GB model. My friend's ASUS 960 2GB runs out of VRAM lots, and it really shows in the slowdowns.

I used to be quite active here.

it depends on the games and res you are playing

1080P high will be fine with the 2GB

but once you throw a game with 1080P Ultra with AA and Hairworks like Witcher 3

then 2GB is not enough

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

A R9-380 with 4GB of VRAM is worth it, IMO.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

SNIP

the 2gb and 4gb refer to how much video memory the graphics cards have (VRAM), basically the computer loads the games textures onto the VRAM of the graphics card for it to be rendered and sent back to the computer 

Modern games require more and more VRAM as the textures and graphics get bigger and bigger there is more data to be processed

While 2gb might be fine for some games, and for low settings, high texture settings in modern games can be well over 2gb of data, that means the 2gb card would be much slower to process the data compared to the 4gb version

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4GB is a good investment

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

you want at least 3GB+ these days for intensive games even at 1080p

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It just means more VRAM. And in today's games, it matters.

I just play like tf2 & cs:go mainly.... and like on the side gta 4,sleeping dogs,rocket league,dayz.. do they need 4 VRAM?

I just play like tf2 & cs:go mainly.... and like on the side gta 4,sleeping dogs,rocket league,dayz.. do they need 4 VRAM?

future games will surely do.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

it depends on the games and res you are playing

1080P high will be fine with the 2GB

but once you throw a game with 1080P Ultra with AA and Hairworks like Witcher 3

then 2GB is not enough

As of now i just have a 1600 x900 mointor, and then at my other parents the mointor is 1440 x 900. Can i still play full settings on games like mw2 and dayz? with 2gb

Heyy! Johhny here and uhmm very new to computer building.. so i don't know if i am missing on stuff but..

as of now i am going with the R9 380 4GB as i can't find any cheaper gpu's with near the same performance..

Soo if no one has gpus to offer towards my build - http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/wmFxwP

My question was like uhmm what does the 4gb and 2gb mean on the end? And is there much of a difference..

As i am trying to cut off a couple hundred from my build.. i looked here http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?j=3196547,3196979 and saw its$80 cheaper for the same thing just 2gb less or something? (NZD) From New Zealand btw.

Yeah so i found this link!!! and it shows the 2gb performing just aswell even better at times as the 4gb? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-radeon-r9-380-2gb-4gb-review

the gb on your gpu is your vram. More VRAM = More graphics and higher resolution can be run. For ex. I think GTA V on ultra 1080p, 1440p or was it 4k, required 6gb of vram. Shadows of mordor? Somewhere around that with high settings 1080p. I think.

the 2gb and 4gb refer to how much video memory the graphics cards have (VRAM), basically the computer loads the games textures onto the VRAM of the graphics card for it to be rendered and sent back to the computer 

Modern games require more and more VRAM as the textures and graphics get bigger and bigger there is more data to be processed

While 2gb might be fine for some games, and for low settings, high texture settings in modern games can be well over 2gb of data, that means the 2gb card would be much slower to process the data compared to the 4gb version

ahkk thanks! will look in other places to save money and stick with the 4gb :)

the gb on your gpu is your vram. More VRAM = More graphics and higher resolution can be run. For ex. I think GTA V on ultra 1080p, 1440p or was it 4k, required 6gb of vram. Shadows of mordor? Somewhere around that with high settings 1080p. I think.

ahkkk ic,is this site false? like why was the fps results from the 2gb and 4gb basically the same: O http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-radeon-r9-380-2gb-4gb-review

The performance wont change, but with more VRAM you can run more demanding graphics, which have more details. And those details are what take VRAM. With 2GB vram, you're limited to settings x. But with more VRAM, you can get the settings up even higher because your graphics card has the capacity to run it. The performance doesn't change with same settings.

Let me start over. Lets say that a gpu called "x" has three models. One with 2gb, second one with 4gb and third one with 8gb. Otherwise it's the same exact card. Now, the X with 2gb vram can run the game Z with let's say medium settings, 1080p and 144fps, if you'd take the settings to high, the fps would fall to let's say 100. Now the X with 4gb, runs the game Z medium settings, 1080p and 144fps, and when put to high, it's still in 100. BUT. the X with 4gb can take the resolution to 1440p. Of course taking some performance down, to let's again say 60fps. Now it's met it's limits, no higher resolution or graphics settings. now the X with 8gb joins the game and beat's the shit out of the other cards with it's 8gb of VRAM. Taking the graphic settings from normal, 1080p 144fps to ultra, 4k 30fps because the huge amount of VRAM allowing it to load ALOT more textures than the other cards can. The performance wont change, but the amount of textures it can load, does.

Lol i did the explaining this time even WORSE. I hope you can still understand :D

Ah yeah i think i got it!!! Thankkss! soooo idk if i got it lol... if i am not going above 1080p i should stick with the 2gb? because my mointors are 1440 x900 and 1600 x 900.... Or even if my mointor is like that i can change the resolution in game too 1080p + right??? :o and in that case i wuld get a 4gb

Ah yeah i think i got it!!! Thankkss! soooo idk if i got it lol... if i am not going above 1080p i should stick with the 2gb? because my mointors are 1440 x900 and 1600 x 900.... Or even if my mointor is like that i can change the resolution in game too 1080p + right??? :o and in that case i wuld get a 4gb

Remember it's just an example. Not all games require the same amount of vram. If cs:go and tf2 is all you play, 2gb SHOULD be enough for max settings on 1080p. But if I were you, I would save up for the 4gb anyway, maybe you'll start playing other games too, which require more vram. like the witcher, gta, call of duty, battlefield, and so on.