Manfrotto 502 fluid head.

bob345

So I have a manfrotto 502 fluidhead on the way. Anyone have any experience with this head? Anything to worry about or keep an eye on?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

So I have a manfrotto 502 fluidhead on the way. Anyone have any experience with this head? Anything to worry about or keep an eye on?

Are you talking about this model?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827210-REG/Manfrotto_MVH502AH_75Mm_Flat_Head.html

That's the one I am currently using.  It's wonderful, better than the previous generation of Manfrotto heads and perfect for DSLR shooters and any camera rig that is within its support weight.  I personally can't say any negative thing about it.

But it will look/feel oversized if your camera is small like a mirrorless system.

Two screws/locks I would keep an eye so as not to lose them. The quick release plate locking screw and the pan lock screw, don't over-loosen them.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Are you talking about this model?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827210-REG/Manfrotto_MVH502AH_75Mm_Flat_Head.html

That's the one I am currently using. It's wonderful, better than the previous generation of Manfrotto heads and perfect for DSLR shooters and any camera rig that is within its support weight. I personally can't say any negative thing about it.

But it will look/feel oversized if your camera is small like a mirrorless system.

Two screws/locks I would keep an eye so as not to lose them. The quick release plate locking screw and the pan lock screw, don't over-loosen them.

yep, that's the exact model. Nice to hear that it meets expectations. I'll probably update this thread when mine comes in. Thanks for the reply.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

yep, that's the exact model. Nice to hear that it meets expectations. I'll probably update this thread when mine comes in. Thanks for the reply.

If you get your item and it feels a bit stiff or not as fluid as you expect, play around with it first moving the pan and tilt back and forth several times.  Don't jump immediately into thinking it's defective.

Also, I've seen some people complain that with their wide camera body gets in the way of the knob screw for tightening the quick release plate, some of them don't realize that you can pull out the plastic knob to the side and reposition it so that the wide camera body doesn't get in the way.  There is a spring holding it in place.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Its so good I bought 2

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

well, my 502 just came in and its nothing short of anything you guys said. And wow, it is WAY bigger than i expected.

MMnkHL2.jpg

damn that is HUGE and no I don't mean the price, looks sweet, high quality and smooth though.

Time to upgrade my tripod, so I can justify this.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

damn that is HUGE and no I don't mean the price, looks sweet, high quality and smooth though.

Time to upgrade my tripod, so I can justify this.

The quality is very good, just make sure you buy the model that supports your heaviest rig/setup.

well, my 502 just came in and its nothing short of anything you guys said. And wow, it is WAY bigger than i expected.

Well, put it this way, this fluid head is solid that it will last you a good number of years as long as you take care of it properly.  And if you ever upgrade to a larger/heavier (within limits of course) camera/rig/setup, you are prepared.