A+ Certificaton

Riv

Right now I am in the process for getting of getting my A+ certification. Just as a thought, what jobs do those of you who are "A+ Certified" have? Where I live, really the only options I have seen is micro center which is way too far of a drive, and best buy geek squad which I refuse to work at due to my previous best buy experiences. Also, are there any other classes/certifications I should take after I finish my A+?

Professional Girl

I'd head on and take the N+ after. As for jobs there aren't too many that CompTIA certifications really open the door to however having them really does help to show you have the knowledge and skillset to succeed in IT.

As for the A+ itself the jobs associated with this would mostly be computer repair places and possible low tier corporate IT. The way I always think about the A+ is it says "I can fix your computer and small office gear", so any jobs were that is the main skillset.

Here's some free training for A+, N+ and a few other certs, available on YT, great quality and it covers pretty much everything you need. Pair this with the exam objectives from CompTIA and you're good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkefXKtInZ9PLsoGRtml2FQ

You can't really get much with just the A+ alone, but it'll definitely land you an interview, after you get the A+ you should try and go for the more sophisticated cert's like the net+ and the mcsa, goodluck!

I'd head on and take the N+ after. As for jobs there aren't too many that CompTIA certifications really open the door to however having them really does help to show you have the knowledge and skillset to succeed in IT.

As for the A+ itself the jobs associated with this would mostly be computer repair places and possible low tier corporate IT. The way I always think about the A+ is it says "I can fix your computer and small office gear", so any jobs were that is the main skillset.

Here's some free training for A+, N+ and a few other certs, available on YT, great quality and it covers pretty much everything you need. Pair this with the exam objectives from CompTIA and you're good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkefXKtInZ9PLsoGRtml2FQ

You can't really get much with just the A+ alone, but it'll definitely land you an interview, after you get the A+ you should try and go for the more sophisticated cert's like the net+ and the mcsa, goodluck!

Thanks! Right now I think I'll stick with the A+ as I live with my boyfriend and he feeds/clothes me so I don't really need to pay any bills. But later down the road I would love to take more classes and expand my vocabulary and repertoire :) 

Professional Girl

For me it wasn't really useful at all. I got mine in highschool since it was a registered CompTIA testing center but went straight on to getting a Degree. Never looked at it again, was just the most interesting thing to do at school.

Not saying it has no value, absolutely shows you can study and have a core understanding of computers. Also when starting out in IT employers are more concerned with basic things like does your personality fit with the team and company, can you turn up on time regularly, do you look confident etc.

Confidence and appearance is a huge factor if you will have customer interaction. You need to give the sense that you know what you are doing and have things under control, even if you don't. Getting the details of the issue, logging it in a job management system, seeking advice from co-workers or superiors is about as much as your expected to do in a helpdesk role.

For me it wasn't really useful at all. I got mine in highschool since it was a registered CompTIA testing center but went straight on to getting a Degree. Never looked at it again, was just the most interesting thing to do at school.

Not saying it has no value, absolutely shows you can study and have a core understanding of computers. Also when starting out in IT employers are more concerned with basic things like does your personality fit with the team and company, can you turn up on time regularly, do you look confident etc.

Confidence and appearance is a huge factor if you will have customer interaction. You need to give the sense that you know what you are doing and have things under control, even if you don't. Getting the details of the issue, logging it in a job management system, seeking advice from co-workers or superiors is about as much as your expected to do in a helpdesk role.

Sounds like the A+ is a very good first step into the tech world :) Right now I am looking to find some things to fill up my rather empty resume. After I land maybe a retail job or IT job for a big corporation, Ill look into getting more certified for later endeavors since it sounds like I won't get very far with just the A+

Professional Girl

Sounds like the A+ is a very good first step into the tech world :) Right now I am looking to find some things to fill up my rather empty resume. After I land maybe a retail job or IT job for a big corporation, Ill look into getting more certified for later endeavors since it sounds like I won't get very far with just the A+

no A+ is pretty much useless and pointless

don't even bother

you should be getting MCSE

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Thanks! Right now I think I'll stick with the A+ as I live with my boyfriend and he feeds/clothes me so I don't really need to pay any bills. But later down the road I would love to take more classes and expand my vocabulary and repertoire :)

Learning more about technology is never a bad idea. Keep at it, going your own pace and learn to love it. Technology is the future and the more you know and love about it, the better off you'll be in almost anything you do.

@techguru I feel what he is getting at is that the A+ certainly isn't a life changing certification but it is a great first step. Never feel discouraged from taking any certifications. The A+ is the best place to start as it covers almost all of the basics.

Best of luck with your technology studies! Hope you enjoy it!

Learning more about technology is never a bad idea. Keep at it, going your own pace and learn to love it. Technology is the future and the more you know and love about it, the better off you'll be in almost anything you do.

@techguru I feel what he is getting at is that the A+ certainly isn't a life changing certification but it is a great first step. Never feel discouraged from taking any certifications. The A+ is the best place to start as it covers almost all of the basics.

Best of luck with your technology studies! Hope you enjoy it!

if he actually wants to make some real money in computers..then A+ is pointless

a+ isn't even wanted at places like geek squad..they want more then that...which is pretty pathetic considering how useless geek squad is

if he actually wants to make some real money in computers..then A+ is pointless

a+ isn't even wanted at places like geek squad..they want more then that...which is pretty pathetic considering how useless geek squad is

I don't want to make "real money" in computers. I wan't to stop having my boyfriend buy me all my computer parts by getting a dependable 9-5 hourly job that can pay for my expenses so he can buy a wedding ring.

Professional Girl

I don't want to make "real money" in computers. I wan't to stop having my boyfriend buy me all my computer parts by getting a dependable 9-5 hourly job that can pay for my expenses so he can buy a wedding ring.

LMAO

figures...typical woman

LMAO

figures...typical woman

<3

Professional Girl

What in the world is an A+ and a N+?  Not coming from the west, these are totally unrelatable terms.  Google gives me a basic understanding that these are CompTIA certs (I have also no idea what CompTIA is except that it's a non-profit) so I have no idea what you actually learn in these courses.  From what I can tell, an A+ is basic IT skills, and N+ is networking related.  No idea how comprehensive these courses are though.

Really depends on what you are interested in doing in the IT industry.  If you're interested in networking, CCNA is a pretty good choice, otherwise MCSE can get you through the door as a systems engineer.  Depending on how large an organization your target company is, a CCNA cert may not help you out too much as chances are they don't really have a proper network set up anyway.

A MCSE is a good general computing knowledge cert to get.  You learn a lot of things like AD administration, familiarity with Windows Servers, etc. @Riv

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The only place I ever worked that cared about A+ cert. was Computer City (failed retail store run by Tandy Corp.). They just wanted each tech to have something they could hang on the wall to give customers confidence in bringing their computers in for repair. No corporate IT department I have ever worked for gave a flip about certifications, they care more about having a B.S. degree or 5+ years of experience. Nowadays, I would suspect an A+ cert. would be good for Best Buy's Geek Squad or an entry-level job at an "IT Services" contracting company (re: low-wage / churn&burn).