Can I overclock my ram, and will it benefit me?

SkixAces
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

So in conclusion. The only way to fix my problem is to buy more ram, and overclocking my ram isn't going to help?

Thanks for all of your anwsers

At this point, yes. Overclocking memory helps with transfer and if you mess with latency settings, you can squeeze out more performance, but you will most likely not notice it.

READ BEFORE POSTING A COMMENT, WITHOUT KNOWING THE STORY

So I've played quite a few hours of call of duty black ops 3, but my ram keeps filling up, and I get lag. Lowering the settings helped tackeling this issue, but I still get stutters every once in a while.

So what I thought: Can I overclock my 8GB 1600MHz ram to 1866MHz to improve performance?

If it does help, can I just easily up the MHz? I just took a look into my bios, and there is an option to easily increase it to 1866MHz, but do I also need to change other things like the timings?

I dont really know much about overclocking ram, so I am asking your help.

My system is in my signature but this is the ram I am using:

G.Skill ripjaws x 2x4GB 1600MHz (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

Thanks for your help :) 

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

Increasing your speed will do nothing about it getting filled up. you need more ram in that case probably 16 GB 4x4 or 2x8 setup.

It doesnt get filled up completely. When it reaches 7.2GB it starts to stutter. Anything before that is fine. Also, I dont think it can go much higher than that, because of how ram packets work

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

Ram is fairly easy to overclock, however it will not solve your problem. It will make it faster, but you will still only have 8gb of ram.

Only solution is to end background tasks to free up ram, or get more of it.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

It doesnt get filled up completely. When it reaches 7.2GB it starts to stutter. Anything before that is fine. Also, I dont think it can go much higher than that, because of how ram packets work

It likely started to lag because it goes into the pagefile, that's sort of overflow ram on the hard driver/ ssd, which as you can imagine is much, much slower than ram.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

It likely started to lag because it goes into the pagefile, that's sort of overflow ram on the hard driver/ ssd, which as you can imagine is much, much slower than ram.

My pagefile usage is around 12GB. I also had this issue with gta 5. My vram got filled up on that game and I think it also started using pagefile.

No

U still have 8 gigs

So derefore u need to by more ram

dun

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Your system is probably consuming the other 800MB, which is causing Paging to occur. What's this about RAM packets?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Your system is probably consuming the other 800MB, which is causing Paging to occur. What's this about RAM packets?

Hopefully I don't sound like a complete moron, but I thought, ram couldnt be fully utilised, because if a ram "packet" doesnt fit in anymore, it will just not go in -.-.

Also, my system uses 1.4GB of ram. The 7.2GB is the whole ram usage, not just the game

Hopefully I don't sound like a complete moron, but I thought, ram couldnt be fully utilised, because if a ram "packet" doesnt fit in anymore, it will just not go in -.-.

Also, my system uses 1.4GB of ram. The 7.2GB is the whole ram usage, not just the game

You can fully utilize RAM. I'm not sure what you got that from - RAM modules have a finite amount of space and can only hold so much(In fact, each "bit" is connected through a capacitor and a transistor). You also have limited bandwidth - transferring x amount of data per second, but you can completely fill up RAM. I've consumed 11.9GB out of my 12GB - not quite 100%, but you get the idea.

Hopefully this clears up confusion.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

My pagefile usage is around 12GB. I also had this issue with gta 5. My vram got filled up on that game and I think it also started using pagefile.

The size of the pagefile dosent matter, because as soon as the fast ram, or vram is used up, bad thing will follow.

You can fully utilize RAM. I'm not sure what you got that from - RAM modules have a finite amount of space and can only hold so much(In fact, each "bit" is connected through a capacitor and a transistor). You also have limited bandwidth - transferring x amount of data per second, but you can completely fill up RAM. I've consumed 11.9GB out of my 12GB - not quite 100%, but you get the idea.

Hopefully this clears up confusion.

The size of the pagefile dosent matter, because as soon as the fast ram, or vram is used up, bad thing will follow.

So in conclusion. The only way to fix my problem is to buy more ram, and overclocking my ram isn't going to help?

At this point, yes. Overclocking memory helps with transfer and if you mess with latency settings, you can squeeze out more performance, but you will most likely not notice it.