GTA V and a stock cooler

mbryant

I just built my newest system last week. It has an i7 4790k and a GTX 780 with 16GB of RAM. My GF wants GTA V really bad and I wasn't going to get it until after I had the chance to upgrade from the stock CPU cooler. I was just hoping that someone could tell me what temps I should be expecting to be running at. The most intense game I play ATM is Chivalry which when running at Ultra my CPU temps get up to max 79 but usually hover in the high 60's to low 70's. I should also mention my rig is in the Corsair 750D with it's standard case fan config, I will be adding in additional fans from my old case soon. 

So should I hold off or go ahead and buy the game?

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I wouldn't do it. Your CPU will throttle

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

The stock cooler is designed to cope with the CPU at any load with stock clock speeds and voltages. Provided it's not overclocked, there shouldn't be any issues. 

The stock cooler is meant to work with the CPU it came with(at stock configuration) without any problems. And since you have a decently cooled case it should be fine.

But we can't tell you the temps, only you can check them when you play the game. So much matters with that. Anything from ambient room temperature to cable management to fans to GPU cooler to whatever.

If you want to play the game now you can play the game now without worrying on frying your CPU.

I play GTAV with a 4770k that i haven't bothered to overclock just yet, if you're not overclocking the stock cooler is fine. I have a 980ti now but my previous card was a 780 too, you're fine to go ahead and buy the game  :)

The stock cooler is designed to cope with the CPU at any load with stock clock speeds and voltages. Provided it's not overclocked, there shouldn't be any issues. 

The stock cooler is meant to work with the CPU it came with(at stock configuration) without any problems. And since you have a decently cooled case it should be fine.

But we can't tell you the temps, only you can check them when you play the game. So much matters with that. Anything from ambient room temperature to cable management to fans to GPU cooler to whatever.

If you want to play the game now you can play the game now without worrying on frying your CPU.

Listen to these guys.

Better invest in good CPU cooling unit. Of course, if You want to overclock the CPU for GTA 5. If not, stock will be fine.

Sorry for my low english, but I'm trying my best  ;)

| MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 || CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K || COOLER: Thermaltake HR-02 Macho Rev. B || RAM: 2x Patriot Signature DDR3 4GB 1333MHz CL9 || GPU: Msi GeForce GTX 750 TI Oc || PSU: Ocz StealthXStream 2 600W || STORAGE: Segate Barracuda 1 TB || CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 300R | 

I just built my newest system last week. It has an i7 4790k and a GTX 780 with 16GB of RAM. My GF wants GTA V really bad and I wasn't going to get it until after I had the chance to upgrade from the stock CPU cooler. I was just hoping that someone could tell me what temps I should be expecting to be running at. The most intense game I play ATM is Chivalry which when running at Ultra my CPU temps get up to max 79 but usually hover in the high 60's to low 70's. I should also mention my rig is in the Corsair 750D with it's standard case fan config, I will be adding in additional fans from my old case soon. 

So should I hold off or go ahead and buy the game?

get a 212 evoa for like £20 and jobs a goo-den :)

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Better invest in good CPU cooling unit. Of course, if You want to overclock the CPU for GTA 5. If not, stock will be fine.

I plan on getting a new cooler, I just couldn't justify spending more than $700 when I built it last week. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Thanks guys. GF Really wants GTA and I figured I'd surprise her when she gets home from work today. I wasn't requesting exact temps was hoping I could just get a ballpark estimate but I understand how even that is unlikely. CPU isn't OC'd, trust me I wouldn't dream of it with only the stock cooler. Appreciate the help!

Make sure you download HW monitor to monitor your temps

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Make sure you download HW monitor to monitor your temps

First thing I did when I built it :)

I wouldn't do it. Your CPU will throttle

Underclock it, you'll have to.

What? Have you guys actually ever used a stock cooler or have any experience?

The cpu will be fine, ive a 4770k and ran it stock for a month and i had 0 issues, if you dont plan on OC'ing (which you  should ) then the stock cooler is good enough

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

The cpu will be fine, ive a 4770k and ran it stock for a month and i had 0 issues, if you dont plan on OC'ing (which you  should ) then the stock cooler is good enough

It can still throttle under the stock cooler. *cough* unlike the 8350

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Stock chivalry is 80°C (which is already unhealthy for ur CPU) and then GTA V? Yea forget it

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

It can still throttle under the stock cooler. *cough* unlike the 8350

Stock chivalry is 80°C (which is already unhealthy for ur CPU) and then GTA V? Yea forget it

if ambient temperature is 40c sure.

I dno if he mounted it properly but the cooler can handle the cpu being maxed out without being throttled. ( under stock clocks )

How do i know? Ive done it in a 750D with an ambient of 20c. If the cooler was that bad for stock clocks intel wouldnt ship it with it would they

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Please check your sources, Haswell has a TJ max of 105 degrees celcius (point where it will start to throttle down). 80 degrees is not unhealthy at all for it.

if ambient temperature is 40c sure.

I dno if he mounted it properly but the cooler can handle the cpu being maxed out without being throttled. ( under stock clocks )

How do i know? Ive done it in a 750D with an ambient of 20c. If the cooler was that bad for stock clocks intel wouldnt ship it with it would they

To be fair, it's a decent size case

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

80 was on the high end, gta on high settings has been running high 50's to low 60's surprisingly

UPDATE: got it installed and played for about an hour straight, temps got to 75 celcius MAX and are hovering between 57 and 64 celcius with the game on high settings. Don't know HOW chivalry makes my CPU run hotter but it does. Gta is running smoothly and the GF is very happy. Thanks guys