Looking to Update my BIOS

Number

So I got the installation files from Acer to update my bios. Just to make sure, updating the bios will get rid of any BIOS viruses? (I don't know if I do or don't have one but just to be safe). Also, what are the chances I will totally brick my computer? Acer says I have to run a program which will update the bios and then I have to go to the BIOS and click on load default settings.

Numbre

So I got the installation files from Acer to update my bios. Just to make sure, updating the bios will get rid of any BIOS viruses? (I don't know if I do or don't have one but just to be safe). Also, what are the chances I will totally brick my computer? Acer says I have to run a program which will update the bios and then I have to go to the BIOS and click on load default settings.

Have you got any issues at the moment that the BIOS update would fix? If not, don't bother.

no

who told you that?

dont update your bios for no reason

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

no

who told you that?

dont update your bios for no reason

Yeah, there are rootkit that remain dormant until the creator activate it. They can be fud, but it's rare now days.

The Bios rootkit is easily to get rid of, download the factory bios from the mobo site and flash it. Also rare

He is write, since it overwrites the previous bios.

Numbre

Have you got any issues at the moment that the BIOS update would fix? If not, don't bother.

No, but I did install drivers from a different source. As I mentioned here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/480995-please-help-rootkits/ I was afraid that I got a rootkit from that, thats why I want to reflash my bios and nuke my drive then reinstall windows. 

Numbre

"Bios viruses"

Thats not how it works...

If you don't have a reason to update your bios, don't do it...

there is a very real chance of bricking your motherboard if anything happens while you are updating, and while the chance is slim, its not worth taking the risk unless the update fixes a specific problem you are having.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

"Bios viruses"

there is a very real chance of bricking your motherboard if anything happens while you are updating, and while the chance is slim, its not worth taking the risk unless the update fixes a specific problem you are having.

So how do I get rid of an existing bios virus?

Numbre

"Bios viruses"

Rookits can happen

and since you have never seen that thread before, in the thread it states that he installed drivers externally (not from asus) and he said that he was afraid he got one.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

So how do I get rid of an existing bios virus?

Rookits can happen

and since you have never seen that thread before, in the thread it states that he installed drivers externally (not from asus) and he said that he was afraid he got one.

My bad...

Either way, updating your bios should get rid of it, since it will get overwritten...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

My bad...

Either way, updating your bios should get rid of it, since it will get overwritten...

No worries