[Rumor] Codename "Vega10" joins AMD's Arctic Island family

There's a new rumor on WCCF that claims there's a new addition to the Arctic Island family of cards, joining the Baffin, Ellesmere, and Greenland codenamed GPU's, and it's name is "Vega10". It goes on to say that Vega10 and Greenland are often mentioned together in documents, while Baffin and Ellesmere also appear together. This suggests that Vega10 bears more similarities to the flagship Greenland GPU than the mid and low end Ellesmere and Baffin GPU's. My suspicion is that Vega10 is supposed to be their highest end "traditional" offerings, the 490 and 490X, while Greenland will be the successor to the Fury X.

The information we received not only confirms previously revealed codenames but also sheds light on a brand new one: Vega10. It also states that AMD will be focusing on power saving a lot during the next generation.

What this means, I do not know. I personally think this could be a good way to diversify their lineup, helping them more closely compete with Nvidia on the same price points. I do know this is WCCF, however, so be sure to keep in mind this is a rumor - not by any means confirmed.

Source: http://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-pursuing-aggressive-performance-watt-finfet-generation-d-gpus-vega10-codename/

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I'm going to make the joke.  You can't stop me.

Vega10 = Vegaten = Vegeta

AMD is creating the prince of GPUs. With the occasional fire. And lots of shouting (noise geddit??)

I'll leave now..

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

That GPU codename is so damn bad that even AMD's abysmal marketing team wouldn't be able to come up with it. I'll disregard this topic for now.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Is there a release date leak anywhere? I rather have that over codenames anyday.

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

That GPU codename is so damn bad that even AMD's abysmal marketing team wouldn't be able to come up with it. I'll disregard this topic for now.

Yeah, it's really bad. 

Amd have been better at codenaming than most companies imo though they have been going with islands and before that mythology usually understandable. <-tangent. 

Vega10 I can't even find as an island name, so it doesn't fit, also why do people think this is a gpu core? For all we know it could be a new technology integration with a lame codename for a lame part of the gpu, or name for new hbm tech or something. What if it's just an editors note?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

I'm going to make the joke.  You can't stop me.

Vega10 = Vegaten = Vegeta

AMD is creating the prince of GPUs. With the occasional fire. And lots of shouting (noise geddit??)

I'll leave now..

1280px-Podravka_Vegeta.jpg

All jokes aside, for all we know, this might not even be an GPU chip. Maybe it might be an new APU? Supposedly it is rumored that AMD will also power the next  gen of consoles (possible including Nintendo), if so,  the timing of both these rumours seem a bit peculiar.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Sounds like a Firepro card. Does not fit the gaming code names. Might be a SOC too.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I thought it was pretty good...