How does 2 graphics cards work?

MoonKnightSpidey
Go to solution Solved by 007agentHP,

no. they atm must be the ssame model of gpu

Could I have 2 different cards? Like, a 980ti and a 970 or something like that. If I had a higher end GPU and a lower end one, would it even be worth it?

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

no. they atm must be the ssame model of gpu

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

No get two of the same... because Vram doesnt stack

So it wouldn't work?

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

For SLI you need two of the same cards, if you just want to run a second monitor off a second card then you can, but it wouldn't give you any benefit to do so.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

for NVidia, for the most part, no.

for AMD though, yes.

980Ti must be pared with the same card *because NVidia doesn't have any other cards with the 6GB cap*

980Ti must have another 980Ti, 980 and 980 || 970 and 970 960 and 960 || 950 and 950 you can mix different brands but it must have the same VRAM amount

so no 4GB and 2GB 960's 

No

Actually the answer is yes, it would work. The lower card could run a second monitor.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Nvidia, has to be same card and same VRAM.

AMD, just has to be same generation. So this means Pitcarin cards (7850 and 7870, R7 265/370 and 270/270X) can crossfire with each other, Hawaii (7950/7970, 280/280X), Tahiti (290/290X, 390/390X) and Tonga (285/380) can crossfire with each other.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

You can run them independently of each other, like I do with my 970 and 660 Ti. If you would like to use SLI, you must have two cards of the same model with the same amount of VRAM. You may mix manufacturers, but the base model(970 for example) must be the same between each. If DX12 becomes popular and Multi-Adapter Linking GPUs becomes popular in games, you can "link" them together and allow the 970 to relieve the 980 Ti of at least some of the load. Lastly, you could technically use the 970 for PhysX computing, but in my and Linus' testing, it's a waste to have a dedicated PhysX card.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Actually the answer is yes, it would work. The lower card could run a second monitor.

Yah it could, but preferably 2 cards of the same would be better ... (I agree with you)

You can run them independently of each other, like I do with my 970 and 660 Ti. If you would like to use SLI, you must have two cards of the same model with the same amount of VRAM. You may mix manufacturers, but the base model(970 for example) must be the same between each. If DX12 becomes popular and Multi-Adapter Linking GPUs becomes popular in games, you can "link" them together and allow the 970 to relieve the 980 Ti of at least some of the load. Lastly, you could technically use the 970 for PhysX computing, but in my and Linus' testing, it's a waste to have a dedicated PhysX card.

curious, how much of an added benefit was there to having an extra PhysX card? any real FPS gain or just a complete waste of GPU?

curious, how much of an added benefit was there to having an extra PhysX card? any real FPS gain or just a complete waste of GPU?

I only officially tested Arkham City. I saw no benefits to using my 660 Ti over my 970 for PhysX.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch