Should I upgrade?

Hello everybody

I need help deciding, should I upgrade my processor or should I overclock and buy a better gpu?

Parts list:

GPU: msi radeon 6870

CPU: Intel core 2 quad q6600

PSU: corsair CX600

RAM: 4gigs of Kingston hyperx ddr2

Motherboard: Asus PSK-E/WIFI-AP

Storage: 1tb hdd (I do not know what brand)

CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i

Thanks!

I sexually identify as a Dell Optiplex 755

Whoooaaaaa, that's ancient, you're long overdue for a platform overhaul, my friend.

It actually isn't, Q6600s aren't that bad now.

I would suggest getting a 2GB or 4GB DDR2 stick for ~ 5-10$ / 15$ and save for a while then buy a new CPU, Mobo, RAM and perhaps GPU.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Yeah, you probably should upgrade as that is some old ass hardware, but the real question is does your rig still do everything you want it to at a satisfactory level?

ASU

It actually isn't, Q6600s aren't that bad now.

I would suggest getting a 2GB or 4GB DDR2 stick for ~ 5-10$ / 15$ and save for a while then buy a new CPU, Mobo, RAM and perhaps GPU.

They are pretty good, I have one myself, but I would consider it worth upgrading. Depends on OP's budget and what he wants to do. a RAM upgrade would certainly be a start.

I hope this works in your budget. This PC will last you another, long time. Like your current one. Lol

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Asus H81M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($50.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 

Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $603.50

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 13:39 EST-0500

I bought this kit for like 180 euros, but I've been planning to upgrade for a while now, but everything actually needs an upgrade. my budget is around +-300 euros.

Clock for clock, a Q6600 is about on par with an Athlon II X4. I wouldn't trust it to run anything higher than a 7950 without bottlenecking pretty severely.

One thing OP could do is find a modified Xeon and stick that in his motherboard, and then overclock it. 771 Xeons are generally better for overclocking because they're binned server processors.

I've been thinking about buying this cpu: Intel core I5 4460 with 8 gigs of ram and a cheap ATX motherboard

I hope this works in your budget. This PC will last you another, long time. Like your current one. Lol

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H81M-E Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($50.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $603.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 13:39 EST-0500

I would disagree. You can't predict the future, but the way that games and software's heading now, 4 physical cores would be better than 2 physical and 4 logical (in total)

I've been thinking about buying this cpu: Intel core I5 4460 with 8 gigs of ram and a cheap ATX motherboard

That's a nice CPU. 

I like this idea.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Your GPU still seems ok, I have friend playing on things even older (gtx 280 I think :/)

I would upgrade your motherboard and CPU first and later the GPU. AS other stated you will be bottlenecked noticeably if you buy a 300€ graficscard now.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Clock for clock, a Q6600 is about on par with an Athlon II X4. I wouldn't trust it to run anything higher than a 7950 without bottlenecking pretty severely.

One thing OP could do is find a modified Xeon and stick that in his motherboard, and then overclock it. 771 Xeons are generally better for overclocking because they're binned server processors.

In other forums I saw results in VALLEY similar to an 8130 (or was it an 8120 idk the AMD stuff to well). and that seems not too overly bad.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

That seems to be his best bet since his processor will not unleash the full power of a 300€ graficscard.

EDIT: I mean "your", :P

3.Use

Thanks everyone for your help! First I need to get the money... (I don't make a lot of money)

I would disagree. You can't predict the future, but the way that games and software's heading now, 4 physical cores would be better than 2 physical and 4 logical (in total)

Minus the fact that he is currently using his system with out much of a complaint...